Andrew Yang, Christine Todd Whitman, and dozens of former Republican/Democratic officials to announce formation of new "centrist" political party tomorrow called "Forward"

ZRNQX74OUNOCNB3TYODO6WU4MQ.jpg
WWW.REUTERS.COM

Dozens of former Republican and Democratic officials will announce on Wednesday a new national political third party to appeal to millions of voters they say are dismayed with what they see as America's dysfunctional two-party system.

Dozens of former Republican and Democratic officials will announce on Wednesday a new national political third party to appeal to millions of voters they say are dismayed with what they see as America's dysfunctional two-party system.

The new party, called Forward, will initially be co-chaired by former Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang and Christine Todd Whitman, the former Republican governor of New Jersey. They hope the party will become a viable alternative to the Republican and Democratic parties that dominate U.S. politics, founding members told Reuters.

Party leaders will hold a series of events in two dozen cities this autumn to roll out its platform and attract support. They will host an official launch in Houston on Sept. 24 and the party's first national convention in a major U.S. city next summer.

4 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

The only third party that would work would be state or regional at best.

Doesn't need to be state/regional, if you're going for federal you just need to be able to pick up enough House seats to force one of the big parties to let you caucus with them.

39 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Lol who gives a shit. Congrats on winning fewer votes than Donald Duck in 2024. So basically the libertarian party but with less pedophilia. 

TBD

When it comes time to vote you basically know if the candidate you are voting for has a chance of winning or not. You may not know for sure if they will win or not, but you do pretty much know if it’s within the realm of possibility. When there is a third party candidate that has a chance on voting day everyone will know they have a chance as they will have become a household name and be very popular with a lot of people. SUPPORT whoever you want to try to get them to that place but ya on voting day if you are voting for Todd Neverheardof you know you are wasting your vote.

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

SUPPORT whoever you want to try to get them to that place but ya on voting day if you are voting for Todd Neverheardof you know you are wasting your vote.

Any vote for the losing candidate(s) is a wasted vote though.  Six million Californians wasted their vote on Trump in 2020, and five million Floridians wasted their vote on Biden that year. 

2 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Any vote for the losing candidate(s) is a wasted vote though.  Six million Californians wasted their vote on Trump in 2020, and five million Floridians wasted their vote on Biden that year. 

I mean, 2020 in California that would be throwing your vote away but you would know that, but since there isn’t an alternate that is “at least a little better” for them to try instead, it doesn’t matter. It’s not the same because it’s not choosing the lesser evil there, for them there isn’t a lesser evil with a chance to win.

If it’s 2024 and you have Biden, Trump, and then Yang who is polling at 3% on the ballot, you know what you are doing when you vote for Yang, you already know that he won’t win. If Mr AwesomeGuyEveroneloves comes around and is polling 27% or whatever then give it a shot.

• True 1

12 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

I'd rather not have to chose between the lesser of two evils like I did in 2020 (Biden), so hopefully we have some GOOD choices in 2024.  If it is the candidate for this party, cool.  Will definitely not for Trump or one of his toadies.

Any choice that involves Andrew Yang is a bad one. 

• True 3

12 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

It's only a wasted vote in the minds of those who lost the election. To the person voting his or her heart, the vote wasn't wasted because he or she actually voted for whom they really wanted. It is when elections are seen as winners or losers that we end up in situations that bring us shitty candidates like Trump as an either/or requirement.

44 minutes ago, brucoe said:

It's only a wasted vote in the minds of those who lost the election. To the person voting his or her heart, the vote wasn't wasted because he or she actually voted for whom they really wanted. It is when elections are seen as winners or losers that we end up in situations that bring us shitty candidates like Trump as an either/or requirement.

Elections are a matter of degree, and should be looked at pragmatically, not romantically. In our elections I vote for either the left-wing party (NDP) or centre-left party (Liberals), whichever has the better chance of defeating the Conservatives in the riding I am living in. While I would prefer an NDP federal government, I know that a Liberal government (especially one propped up by the NDP, like the last two terms) is a far, far better outcome for the country than a Conservative government. So when I lived in my old riding I voted Liberal since there was a Liberal MP. Now, I live in a riding with a Conservative MP, and where the NDP place second, so I vote NDP.

The American system, being so two-partyish, really sucks because it does make any third party vote a wasted vote. However, I do think that any third party that wants to actually make a difference should first establish themselves regionally and locally. That is how the NDP started in Canada, as the CCF in the prairies. They won many provincial elections, and put in place popular policies such as universal healthcare locally before the party really expanded nationally (becoming the NDP).

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Elections are a matter of degree, and should be looked at pragmatically, not romantically. In our elections I vote for either the left-wing party (NDP) or centre-left party (Liberals), whichever has the better chance of defeating the Conservatives in the riding I am living in. While I would prefer an NDP federal government, I know that a Liberal government (especially one propped up by the NDP, like the last two terms) is a far, far better outcome for the country than a Conservative government. So when I lived in my old riding I voted Liberal since there was a Liberal MP. Now, I live in a riding with a Conservative MP, and where the NDP place second, so I vote NDP.

The American system, being so two-partyish, really sucks because it does make any third party vote a wasted vote. However, I do think that any third party that wants to actually make a difference should first establish themselves regionally and locally. That is how the NDP started in Canada, as the CCF in the prairies. They won many provincial elections, and put in place popular policies such as universal healthcare locally before the party really expanded nationally (becoming the NDP).

It's not even two partyish, it's just straight two party.  To be President you need 270 electoral votes.  A third party has a 0% chance of getting 270 electoral votes so voting for a third party candidate for President is identical to not casting a vote for President in the impact your vote has.

I will say it sucks that my last relationship ended before I wanted it to, but the one thing I do not miss was her full throated support for Andrew Yang, with the hat, the coffee cup, and bumper sticker.

40 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Problem is these people want power and status for themselves, first and foremost. They don't have the patience for starting small and regionally. Think Yang, after tasting some political fame, wants to spend his days grooming folks running for mayor of smaller cities or state senators?

12 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Problem is these people want power and status for themselves, first and foremost. They don't have the patience for starting small and regionally. Think Yang, after tasting some political fame, wants to spend his days grooming folks running for mayor of smaller cities or state senators?

None of the third parties do.  The Green and Libertarian parties have been around for decades and they've barely made a ripple in statehouses.  The Libertarians do a little better because Republicans sometimes switch over after being elected.

• True 1

42 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

None of the third parties do.  The Green and Libertarian parties have been around for decades and they've barely made a ripple in statehouses.  The Libertarians do a little better because Republicans sometimes switch over after being elected.

Yeah, well, libertarians can't exactly lower the age of consent from a city council seat.

• True 1