Covid Era Pay Rate

Covid Era Pay Rate  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What did you receive over the last 2 months for pay?

• Unemployment (additional $600/week)
    • Hazard pay up to $2/hour extra
    • Essential Worker - No pay increase
    • Unemployed Beforehand/Student
  2. 2. Did You Receive at least the $1200 if qualified?

• Yes
    • No (still awaiting payment)
    • No (did not qualify)
  3. 3. Do you believe those who were deemed essential who did not receive any extra monetary compensation be given such a benefit?

Genuinely interested in what the community at large has had to deal with over these last two and a half months as it relates to their employment status & pay. Furthermore, I'm hoping to spur on a good discussion about whether or not those who put their lives on the line day after day throughout all of this (many in the public sector, health care communities, food service, transportation, etc.) who were not given any type of monetary compensation when compared to so many others (aside from the pittance of $1200), if they should be considered to have some finally as a way to not only reward their work & efforts, but also as a means to further stimulate the economy going forwards?

Grocery store distribution center. Stayed employed. Got an extra $2 an hour for maybe a month and a half (although they called it a “hero bonus”, not hazard pay). Also had more overtime than I’m used to, and I got the $1,200 stimulus. I can’t say I’ve really enjoyed the last few months, but it has helped my bank account. I’ve been able to clear out the last of my debt and start actually using my savings account, which feels nice. 

My entire non-essential division has been 100% telework and has experienced no compromise of operational effectiveness.  In fact, the data suggests that we're somewhat MORE productive.  Naturally, we will not receive any sort of additional compensation for being able to continue working from our homes.

I was not even close to qualifying for the $1,200 advanced/refundable tax credit :p

Those who continued to work in "essential" roles that required a degree of "risk" for them should receive some form of state-supported compensation.

3 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

My entire non-essential division has been 100% telework and has experienced no compromise of operational effectiveness.  In fact, the data suggests that we're somewhat MORE productive.  Naturally, we will not receive any sort of additional compensation for being able to continue working from our homes.

I was not even close to qualifying for the $1,200 advanced/refundable tax credit :p

Those who continued to work in "essential" roles that required a degree of "risk" for them should receive some form of state-supported compensation.

Same 

Just now, Emperor Diocletian II said:

I suggest that you check with the IRS site to see why you didn't get one.  You should qualify.

So far it has said the same thing every time I've checked. 

We are unable to provide the status of your payment right now because:

We don't have enough information yet (we're working on this), or

You're not eligible for a payment.

26 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I don't know how anyone with children can work from home and they're not in daycare/school, let alone be productive.

Wife and I both working at home, no increase in pay, got the stimulus for both of us plus the kid.

Every time I've spoken to clients with kids who are working from home, it sounds like a fucking zoo in the background combined with the person losing their shit at one point. It sounds really tough to deal with especially in jobs demanding a meticulous approach.

I've been working from home with no pay increase. I got a partial stimulus of about $750 because in 2018 I got a large relocation bonus that was added to my W2. I definitely think those that were forced to expose themselves to the virus by dealing with the general public should have gotten a pay increase to compensate for that risk.

My gf ended up losing her job as they closed her office and another office in the area as well and let a few other employees go. She got the full $1200 and is getting the extra $600 a week. 

I have no dogs and no kids, so other than my cat jumping on my desk and trying to take a nap on my keyboard working from home has been mostly fine, other than going stir crazy because apparently I do miss the office. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dodger said:

I've been working from home with no pay increase. I got a partial stimulus of about $750 because in 2018 I got a large relocation bonus that was added to my W2. I definitely think those that were forced to expose themselves to the virus by dealing with the general public should have gotten a pay increase to compensate for that risk.

My gf ended up losing her job as they closed her office and another office in the area as well and let a few other employees go. She got the full $1200 and is getting the extra $600 a week. 

I have no dogs and no kids, so other than my cat jumping on my desk and trying to take a nap on my keyboard working from home has been mostly fine, other than going stir crazy because apparently I do miss the office. 

If you made less in 2019 because of no relocation bonus you should have filed in 2019 before getting your stimulus and I think they would have calculated your payment based off of 2019. I screwed up in the other direction, I was supposed to file for 2019 back at the end of February but it wound up not happening until about a week before the stimulus money started going out and that screwed myself out of about $100 because of higher income in 2019.

Just now, Jason said:

If you made less in 2019 because of no relocation bonus you should have filed in 2019 before getting your stimulus and I think they would have calculated your payment based off of 2019. I screwed up in the other direction, I was supposed to file for 2019 back at the end of February but it wound up not happening until about a week before the stimulus money started going out and that screwed myself out of about $100 because of higher income in 2019.

I haven't filed in 2019 yet because at least according to Turbo Tax it said both me and the gf owe money and I think I owed like 2 grand so while I would have qualified for the whole $1200 based on 2019 I would have lost money overall. I need to stop being lazy and see an accountant and see what they can do but the downfall to having no kids is my only deduction is now my house, and I bought that last May so I don't even have a full year of interest to deduct so I might finally be out of refund luck.

Working from home same pay. I am going back to work in the office in 2 weeks.

working from home has been pretty nice. It’s been pretty fun to be able to hang out with family more but there are certain aspects of my job I can’t do as well from home.  

I've been working from home as normal, my wife had a lot of extra work, and already worked from home. Still not sure if she'll end up getting anything extra for it.

I voted no in the third question, but I suppose it really depends on the situation. First of all, "essential" covers a lot of ground. My company is in new home construction and were deemed essential, but I don't think I deserve any additional money from the company or the government because of that designation. My increased workload might justify additional money, but thats a different discussion.

Then you have the actually essential people, and for them it's still a difficult call. I'd be happy to see everyone working in waste management get a raise, but the city is going to have a massive deficit, and I'd rather see them employ more people at current rates than cut jobs and raise anyone's wages. Now, a lot of companies present that choice, but aren't really honest about it. They want additional money, but when they get a PPP loan they cry that they can't use it because they cut payroll to the bone, so even when given money specifically to keep people employed, they can't or won't use it that way.

So overall my default position is not to raise wages or give bonuses, but to keep as many people employed as possible.

Of course, when you have companies like Amazon, that have a lot of "essential" workers, and have been increasingly profitable through this pandemic, Yeah, they should 100% make more money.

My wife and I are working from home since March (live in NJ) with our 9 month old.  I am less productive because I bought a small house with zero intention to ever work from it. I do work either in the living room or dining room with my daughter climbing all over me. My work hasn’t suffered because I put in more hours than ever. It’s definitely not sustainable for me. The company wants to reopen the office in June but without day care open, I don’t know how I can.

I did get a decent raise this year but it’s definitely less than what was promised. I am currently doing two jobs for my company. I got the “hey, it’s better than nothing amirite” conversation and another promise to correct it next year when things are better.  

I work in a residential setting (halfway house) wherein the clients have been on a mandatory self-imposed quarantine since mid-March. Staff still has to be here in person, so I have worked during the whole time. Multiple other areas of my company however work from home and do a lot of phone sessions. No pay increase (nonprofit company while also stating we are healthcare so do not qualify for hazard pay.)

Wife works for Spectrum, that was run business as usual until middle - end of April before being told to socially distance and wear masks. After that, in lieu of a pay increase, they just had to work 3 days a week and have 4 off. How this company was deemed essential is beyond me but they were allowed to stay open just like Best Buy (buddy of mine worked FT with $2/hour increase) as they work with phones & computers also.

My wife & I both received $1200 (no kids thankfully); I do believe by being directly put into interaction with the public that we should be compensated at some point, even if it isn't until next tax season with some form of kickback by state and/or federal funding.

My job is/was deemed essential. I worked in Health care facilities,nursing homes, and jails. No pay raise was offered, in fact they were going try to do an hourly pay rate deduction at one point, on hours already worked. Someone from another office interrupted the conference call to remind them that is in fact  against the law and an argument broke out. My direct manager even sent them a direct link and they still didnt believe it. 

• Shocked 1

I alternate between working from home and going into the Studio... this week was my onsite week and I went in Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, I'm off Wednesday and Thursday and will work from home Friday. Next week it will be my work from home week. I was lucky/unlucky depending on how you look at it. I came back East to help out during the Hollidays and ended up staying longer with the studio. I had JUST gotten back from LA in late Februrary/Early March when the pandemic hit. If I was in LA when this hit, I'd be out of work like everybody else back there. Since I was here in NJ/NY I'm in the epicenter of the pandemic, but I've been working the whole time making decent money during a VERY tough economic time. I've been as safe as I can be driving in and out of New York when I do go in. As some of you guys know I'm an editor so I've been working for the "Fake News, Mainstream Media" this whole time :lol: I am fortunate that I'm able to crash in my parent's house while keeping my place in LA. No idea when I'm going back to Cali though... it's still dead out there work-wise. I'll probably go back for a couple of days in a few weeks to get some stuff, but I'll more than likely be spending the Summer here in ground zero.

• Like 1