~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I heard on NPR that Europe has had more deaths from COVID-19 than the rest of the world combined, minus China.

Granted China's a damned big part of the world (it's not like the rest of the world minus Arkansas), but still.

I wonder if some of that is just that higher population density = more people exposed = more cases? Just looked it up and Wuhan has a population density of around 1,200 people / km2 and Berlin has a population density of around 3800 people / km2, Frankfurt is around 3,000,  Rome is at 2,200, etc. 

33 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Clark county schools district in NV has no immediate plans to close down the schools, but the situation remains fluid.

It is because they are still looking to the CDC and State for guidance. Mineral County just released a statement that made it sound like it was all their idea to end all sports for the district. Somebody quickly posted a memo by the NIAA that was done earlier in the day that said sponsored events were cancelled effective Monday. The superintendent here is a piece of work. 

I did my regular grocery shopping and Jesus fucking Christ. I am glad I got an extra pack of TP before all of this. Like, how much do you fuckers wipe your ass? And you really gonna go through all 4 of those gallons of milk before they expire buddy? Like, I know canned goods last a long time, but do you really need 32 cans of the same thing? I know you guys want to avoid the virus but you think filling up the store with a constant stream bodies is a good thing? 

I mean, I got everything I wanted besides my salt n pepper chips, but these react buyers are making sick. Wait a minute... Oh no...

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:

Just came back from a Walmart run. Looks like I’ll be wiping my ass with toilet paper and Kleenex for the next few weeks.

Make sure you don't flush kleenex.  It doesn't break down like toilet paper does.  It could eventually clog your shitter.

36 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Reddit is making excuses for the woman. Like the milk is for a day care or coffee shop or some such thing. Unlikely but plausible I suppose. 

Milk seems like the worst thing to buy for reselling purposes so I’d tend to find it plausible that she’s running a daycare or something like that rather than an attempt at profiteering.

Oh dear.

Japan is reporting its first case of a person becoming reinfected with the coronavirus after showing signs they had fully recovered, according to Reuters. 

Osaka’s prefectural government confirmed Wednesday a woman working as a tour bus guide tested positive for coronavirus for the second time after developing a sore throat and chest pain. The woman, who is said to be in her 40s, first tested positive in late January and was discharged from the hospital on Feb. 1 after showing signs of recovery. 

• Shocked 4

46 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Yeah it's been known for a while that the re-infection rate is rather high.

Also going into work this weekend to deal with a bird flu outbreak in some turkeys, it's not high path, but USDA is concerned it could become that.  With good quarantine procedures and culling we should have this taken care of by Monday.  Also this was caught by routine surveillance testing.  Hey look at that preventative screenings work.

12 minutes ago, elbobo said:

the grocery store yesterday was pretty picked over but interestingly we went out to dinner last night and the restaurant was packed, guess people aren't hunkering down

It's blowing my mind seeing pictures from people in packed restaurants and bars and theaters and comedy clubs. 

So first Friday in the Corona panic:

Our indoor theater was VERY slow, way down from what it should have been.

Our outdoor theater was packed though. Guessing people feel better about being in their own car or otherwise far away from other people if they sit in lawn chairs.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

So first Friday in the Corona panic:

Our indoor theater was VERY slow, way down from what it should have been.

Our outdoor theater was packed though. Guessing people feel better about being in their own car or otherwise far away from other people if they sit in lawn chairs.

I'm glad you can weather the storm with an alternate way of showing movies. 

But here's what I think this might lead to:

I think this will really have people that were on the fence about this whole society centering on cars thing double down on that. Anyone that was at least leaning towards the benefits of public transit in terms of pollution control or serving more areas of society is probably going now not going to be swayed due to this whole public interaction thing. 

12 minutes ago, elbobo said:

the grocery store yesterday was pretty picked over but interestingly we went out to dinner last night and the restaurant was packed, guess people aren't hunkering down

My restaurant was a little slower than normal today, but not by much. I have seen rain/snow, much less holidays, have a bigger impact.

While the foot traffic is down a bit, I think the increase in order size is evening things out. Like, ya gonna go home and freeze half a dozen of those bacon croissants, buddy?