~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Just now, CayceG said:

I'm glad you can weather the storm with an alternate way of showing movies. 

But here's what I think this might lead to:

I think this will really have people that were on the fence about this whole society centering on cars thing double down on that. Anyone that was at least leaning towards the benefits of public transit in terms of pollution control or serving more areas of society is probably going now not going to be swayed due to this whole public interaction thing. 

Electric

Just now, Chairslinger said:

My restaurant was a little slower than normal today, but not by much. I have seen rain/snow, much less holidays, have a bigger impact.

While the foot traffic is down a bit, I think the increase in order size is evening things out. Like, ya gonna go home and freeze half a dozen of those bacon croissants, buddy?

People don't know how to cook anymore

Just now, thewhyteboar said:

Cars ruin cities, destroy communities, and create horrible commutes. It doesn't matter if it's gas, electric, or Uber.

There is no mass transit solution between where I live and where I work.  Even if there was, it would probably an hour long trip each way, versus 15 minutes in a car.  

A question: Does the US have public health lines? In Canada you can call 811 to talk to a registered nurse, psychiatric nurse, or social worker at any time, and it is currently being used as the front-line to determine if someone needs testing, and how to get it (basically the mythical google/verily app). I've only called it twice in my life, once when my appendix was bursting (though I didn't know it yet), and the other when my spouse was having extreme abdominal pain as a side-effect of her chemo/MS treatment. Super helpful to be able to talk 1:1 with a registered nurse. They can't diagnose over the phone, but they can give good advice. Obviously right now it's harder to get through as more people call it, so it's not perfect.

But that would be maybe the best thing to use in this situation, assuming you can get the staff needed to man it.

Side question - What is the gender-neutral term for "man it"? Felt odd typing that out. I guess "staff it"?

11 hours ago, Bacon said:

I did my regular grocery shopping and Jesus fucking Christ. I am glad I got an extra pack of TP before all of this. Like, how much do you fuckers wipe your ass? And you really gonna go through all 4 of those gallons of milk before they expire buddy? Like, I know canned goods last a long time, but do you really need 32 cans of the same thing? I know you guys want to avoid the virus but you think filling up the store with a constant stream bodies is a good thing? 

I mean, I got everything I wanted besides my salt n pepper chips, but these react buyers are making sick. Wait a minute... Oh no...

I picked up a thing of Lactaid milk with an expiration date in May. :sun:

55 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I think this will really have people that were on the fence about this whole society centering on cars thing double down on that. Anyone that was at least leaning towards the benefits of public transit in terms of pollution control or serving more areas of society is probably going now not going to be swayed due to this whole public interaction thing. 

I know I've been swayed. I haven't owned a car of my own since high school and thought I never would again. This situation has changed my mind and I WILL be getting a reliable car before the year is out.

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

A question: Does the US have public health lines? In Canada you can call 811 to talk to a registered nurse, psychiatric nurse, or social worker at any time, and it is currently being used as the front-line to determine if someone needs testing, and how to get it (basically the mythical google/verily app). I've only called it twice in my life, once when my appendix was bursting (though I didn't know it yet), and the other when my spouse was having extreme abdominal pain as a side-effect of her chemo/MS treatment. Super helpful to be able to talk 1:1 with a registered nurse. They can't diagnose over the phone, but they can give good advice. Obviously right now it's harder to get through as more people call it, so it's not perfect.

Lol.

My health insurance does though

Cars in and of themselves are ok, but the complete restructuring of society to revolve around car ownership and use should be discouraged everywhere.

Any change in opinion on car centric development is a symptom of our rot of institutions where we have money divested from common goods such (and in the context of this virus) as healthcare, disease prevention, and maintenance of public good like transit.

1 hour ago, CayceG said:

Best case scenario, maybe people get really into bikes? There'd need to huge infrastructure changes to make them viable in most of places of the country, though.

Don’t worry guys, car-centric municipalities are going to start going bankrupt left and right over the next two decades. Those that adapt by implementing bottom-up, community oriented & URBAN planning strategies, and invest in progressive zoning and public transit will survive. Municipalities consisting of nothing but big-box retail and suburban tract housing will run out of money and they will have two options - a continual tax-cutting race to the bottom with dwindling services and crumbling infrastructure, or a high-tax scenario which will result in stagnant growth 

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

But that would be maybe the best thing to use in this situation, assuming you can get the staff needed to man it.

Side question - What is the gender-neutral term for "man it"? Felt odd typing that out. I guess "staff it"?

29 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Just got an email from my employer that I’m off until March 27th.

Thankful I’ll still receive my base salary, benefits, and bonus at 100%.

First email we got from my director told us to seek a medical professional if we are feeling symptoms. Nothing about not coming in to work sick though. this was last week. 

Thursday HR sends an email telling us not to come to work if we are sick. To follow our department guidelines for calling out and informing our supervisor. 

I am unsure if that makes the absences excused or unexcused. Knowing this company they’ll still let you go.