~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

I really don't like working from home that much but they're now officially encouraging us to, so I grabbed a monitor and keyboard from work on my way out the door today to set up on my kitchen table. Hopefully having a monitor in addition to the laptop screen makes this easier to deal with.

8 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

So my company just had a managers meeting and the decision was essentially to prevent working from home as much as possible. My company has a long history of complete mistrust of employees. The prevailing sentiment from the top is basically "if we don't see them at their desk, how do we know they're working?" It's so odd to me. Presumably everyone has a job because they do something, right? And presumably if that work wasn't done, it would be noticed, yeah? This isn't a giant company. In this particular office there are ~40 people. Most of them work in very small teams. It wouldn't take long to notice someone completely slacking.

A shocking amount of our work revolves around actual paper files, so I understand it wouldn't be very easy for us to move to a 100% remote work force starting Monday, but that's not what I was expecting. I was expecting a more lenient or flexible work from home policy. Maybe some discussion about how we can accommodate that and what steps need to be taken, etc. Instead the meeting was basically to say "it will be business as usual, but with more hand sanitizer."

If this meeting happened last Friday, nothing would have surprised me, but having it today, after a national emergency was declared, schools in our county just got canceled, and everything else going on, just seemed completely oblivious to reality. It doesn't really even affect me, since I can mostly work from home whenever I want anyways.

I'm still going to work under the assumption that most of the company will be working from home in relatively little time.

That's just silliness. Even an odd day, even day schedule for employees would be better than doing absolutely nothing.

Either way, starting next week, I'll be working from home most of the week. I offered to come into the office a couple of times a week since I know there are some folks that can't do their job from home. Even if I don't do desktop support, I'm sure folks will be happy seeing someone from IT around.

The local NPR station did a segment on people in the area who show symptoms but were refused testing. The first example lives in my neighborhood; the second lives in my girlfriend's small suburb and rides the same public transit she does every day. 

Very reassuring!

• Sad 2

19 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

So my company just had a managers meeting and the decision was essentially to prevent working from home as much as possible. My company has a long history of complete mistrust of employees. The prevailing sentiment from the top is basically "if we don't see them at their desk, how do we know they're working?" It's so odd to me. Presumably everyone has a job because they do something, right? And presumably if that work wasn't done, it would be noticed, yeah? This isn't a giant company. In this particular office there are ~40 people. Most of them work in very small teams. It wouldn't take long to notice someone completely slacking.

A shocking amount of our work revolves around actual paper files, so I understand it wouldn't be very easy for us to move to a 100% remote work force starting Monday, but that's not what I was expecting. I was expecting a more lenient or flexible work from home policy. Maybe some discussion about how we can accommodate that and what steps need to be taken, etc. Instead the meeting was basically to say "it will be business as usual, but with more hand sanitizer."

If this meeting happened last Friday, nothing would have surprised me, but having it today, after a national emergency was declared, schools in our county just got canceled, and everything else going on, just seemed completely oblivious to reality. It doesn't really even affect me, since I can mostly work from home whenever I want anyways.

I'm still going to work under the assumption that most of the company will be working from home in relatively little time.

Start coughing intentionally in front of employees, especially the bosses.

It’s a ‘false hope’ coronavirus will disappear in the summer like the flu, WHO says

World leaders should not assume COVID-19 will be seasonal and subside in the summer, like the flu, the World Health Organization said Friday.

“We have to assume that the virus will continue to have the capacity to spread,” Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of WHO’s health emergencies program, said at the agency’s headquarters in Geneva. “It’s a false hope to say, yes, that it will disappear like the flu.”

“We hope it does. That would be a godsend,” he added. “But we can’t make that assumption. And there is no evidence.”

Earlier in the outbreak, U.S. health officials said there was a hypothesis among mathematical modelers that the outbreak “could potentially be seasonal” and relent in warmer conditions.

Old (Mar 6), but worth reiterating since so many people seem to believe that warm weather will get rid of it. At best, warm weather will reduce the spread (which is still good!) but then spread will advance again in the fall/winter.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

First suspected case back in my neighborhood in LA... the good news is I'm not there. The bad news is I'm in NJ and working in NY :shock:

The silver lining to NY is that even though they have the second most cases, they have zero deaths so far(based on an article I read a few hours ago so that could have changed)

45 minutes ago, Chris- said:

The local NPR station did a segment on people in the area who show symptoms but were refused testing. The first example lives in my neighborhood; the second lives in my girlfriend's small suburb and rides the same public transit she does every day. 

Very reassuring!

Dang you guys should get tested anyone that wants a test can get a test tremendous testing right now too.

Since closing schools down for 2 weeks or more seems to be the trending thing, whats going to happen in 2 weeks if the infected rates continue to rise regardless? A lot of teens aren't just going to be sitting in their house for the next 2 weeks. They will be out at malls, movies, restaurants, etc. Do you think they will continue to keep schools closed afterwards? I'm interested to know what's the tipping point for when things are "normal" again. My local township just left a message saying they are closing their office for the next 2 weeks as well.