~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah every report I've seen said DO NOT try to make your own hand sanitizer.  Soap and water works just as well if not better and does not run the risk of burning the shit out of you.

That's true.  But if you're not able to wash your hands with soap and water because you have to go somewhere, it's helpful I would assume.  

1 hour ago, Ricofoley said:

This was a couple days ago now, but I saw someone post a picture of a basically empty asian grocery, so if your usual grocery store is mobbed take advantage of other people's racism and try hitting up an asian grocery if you have one near you

Our local one was PACKED.

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

My google research doesn’t turn up anything to back this up. The Chinese government already had access to it due to patent filings in 2016. Not that phrarmas won’t be awful, just doesn’t appear as though the tweets match the facts.

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

Could it be a quirk in their testing and reporting methods? That seems pretty out of line with everthing we've seen from other countries?

Or perhaps it's something unique to France? Maybe a diet consisting chiefly of wine, cheese, and skinny cigarettes isn't condusive to helping the immune system fight it off.

Serious question, though, and this might be dumb, but could the virus already have changed to make France have a more virulent form of it?

4 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Could it be a quirk in their testing and reporting methods? That seems pretty out of line with everthing we've seen from other countries?

Or perhaps it's something unique to France? Maybe a diet consisting chiefly of wine, cheese, and skinny cigarettes isn't condusive to helping the immune system fight it off.

Serious question, though, and this might be dumb, but could the virus already have changed to make France have a more virulent form of it?

At this point the answer to all of this is, Maybe?  It could also be just sheer number of younger adults infected, Korea testing everyone shows younger people are most likely to have the virus just least likely to feel worst effects from it. 

1 minute ago, Chairslinger said:

It's under 60, not under 50. 

19 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/14/health/coronavirus-asymptomatic-spread/index.html

New studies in several countries and a large coronavirus outbreak in Massachusetts bring into question reassuring assertions by US officials about the way the novel virus spreads.

These officials have emphasized that the virus is spread mainly by people who are already showing symptoms, such as fever, cough or difficulty breathing. If that's true, it's good news, since people who are obviously ill can be identified and isolated, making it easier to control an outbreak.

But it appears that a Massachusetts coronavirus cluster with at least 82 cases was started by people who were not yet showing symptoms, and more than half a dozen studies have shown that people without symptoms are causing substantial amounts of infection.

9 minutes ago, Jose said:

HUGE PSA GUYS. They think the increase in ICU cases of young people is tied to use of NSAID's. Only take Tylenol/Acetaminophen right now!

HMMMMM. I wonder if this could be part of the link to what they've been finding with people who take blood pressure meds (which have kidney protecting functions). 

7 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

If the health minister of France is giving advice to the public based off a WhatsApp voice message, Imma be fucking pissed.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

HMMMMM. I wonder if this could be part of the link to what they've been finding with people who take blood pressure meds (which have kidney protecting functions). 

@SaysWho?

Paris / Hamburg - Advice and rumors about the influence of certain drugs on a coronavirus infection are currently causing uncertainty. French Minister of Health Olivier Véran wrote on Saturday afternoon via short message service Twitter that anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen could make a coronavirus infection worse. In the case of a fever, paracetamol should be taken, Véran advised. National health director Jérôme Salomon made a similar statement and advised against taking so-called non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). In addition to ibuprofen, this group of active ingredients also includes acetylsalicylic acid (ASA; aspirin) and diclofenac

Jonas Schmidt-Chanasit from the Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine (BNITM) can well imagine that especially ASA, but also ibuprofen, could not be helpful for the lung disease Covid-19. "Ibuprofen inhibits blood clotting, which would be a possible indication," explains the virologist. This increases the risk of internal bleeding. "This is not the case with paracetamol."

https://www.stuttgarter-zeitung.de/inhalt.geruechte-ueber-medikamente-diskussion-um-selbsttherapie-bei-corona-infektion.7321bbd0-0bc4-4d21-b735-9aa54b9643dd.html

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I love crawfish but hate how much work it is to eat them. I’m so lazy :lol:

I can eat 'em all day. 4 pounds gone in a flash.

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

Best of luck finding anything left. I'm mostly stocked but went out a few times for odds and ends yesterday & today to my local store across the street and every time the store became more and more bare. It's kind of nuts because it's not like this is all the food the store will have for 2/4 weeks, there will be plenty of restocking yet people are going crazy to buy up everything. =/

I was mostly stocked on essentials. We've got plenty of dish soap, laundry detergent, cleaning wipes, bleach, stuff like that. Got 5 mega rolls of Charmin left and that should be good for another couple weeks, factoring in the bidet.

The store has zero TP, zero dish soap, hardly any laundry detergent, basically no cleaning supplies. We did manage to grab  pack of tissues, we were out of those. Eggs, canned goods, meats, bread, all that was decimated. Couldn't find a can of pinto beans for my soup tonight, so I'll just double up on the kidney beans. Just aisle after aisle was decimated. I've never seen anything like it. I was fairly well stocked on most food stuff, too.

This shit has just gone way overboard.

3 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

My mom, my sister, and I just cancelled dad's memorial service that was scheduled for April 6 - pretty easy call to make :p

We just cancelled our trip for Easter Weekend.  Alaska Airlines issued a full refund.  Sort of.  No penalties for cancelling but they hold onto the money for a future flight that has to be booked by January next year.