~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

17 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

Wow, I completely missed that NASCAR had a race with fans in the stands today. Outdoors, obviously, but seems preposterous.

Fun article for hurricane season.

Texas is fucked.

As an eternal pessimist I think one of the biggest factors in continually making this pandemic worse is the lack of imagination on the part of the general public that things can always get worse.

And a hurricane in the middle of a pandemic was very much on our minds at NORTHCOM. We started calling it the COVICANE. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is calling for an above-average Atlantic Hurricane Season this year with a possibility of 19 named storms. 

Rooftop helicopter rescues make for dramatic footage, but the truth is that the military does not do the bulk of the work. Instead, volunteer organizations like the Red Cross lead the effort by managing shelters, feeding the hungry, and processing displaced families. My team looked at how COVID-19 might impact volunteers. What we found was scary.

Foremost, most members of these volunteer organizations are over 60 years old, putting them into the high-risk category for COVID-19. According to the American Red Cross, of their 21,000 trained disaster responders, 42 percent are over the age of 65, 43 percent are between 40-64; and just 13 percent are between 18 and 39. This means the people we need most in a disaster are also among the most vulnerable

There's more, but I found the Red Cross stats to be just a shocking recipe for disaster.

56 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Gib vaccine pls

It wasn't developed in the US so just like with the WHO COVID tests, Trump will block it until Jared's buddies can come up with something that's 50/50 on just giving you COVID instead.

It seems to me, giving out the vaccine piecemeal may not be a good strategy, depending on how good the vaccine ends up being.  

Unless the vaccine truly offers long term immunity, there's a chance that those who are first vaccinated could end up still catching the virus months later if they come into close contact with someone who has yet to be vaccinated.  I would think it's better to build up a massive stockpile and get as many people vaccinated in a short period of time. 

5 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

It seems to me, giving out the vaccine piecemeal may not be a good strategy, depending on how good the vaccine ends up being.  

Unless the vaccine truly offers long term immunity, there's a chance that those who are first vaccinated could end up still catching the virus months later if they come into close contact with someone who has yet to be vaccinated.  I would think it's better to build up a massive stockpile and get as many people vaccinated in a short period of time. 

Then the question is whether there are enough anti-vaxxers, conspiracy goofs, and people who just skip it to keep it going

55 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Unless the government directs this, this will 100% not happen. It's not JIT, too costly. Nurses and doctors would get it first, then probably the wealthy, the police, and high profile athletes. Then everyone else based on who can pay for it first, because there's no way this would be covered with minimal out of pocket cost even with relatively good insurance

And it will 100% not be free under Trump so good luck to the millions who are uninsured

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

Trump gets his vaccine out before all kinks have been worked out. Turns all early America adopters of the vaccine into a real life Walking Dead zombie. I don’t know if that would actually make things better or worse

Only liberals get the vaccine, conservatives shoot them 

4 hours ago, finaljedi said:

Then the question is whether there are enough anti-vaxxers, conspiracy goofs, and people who just skip it to keep it going

Oh there are plenty of those.  This will garner the biggest anti-vac sentiment... ever.  I'm seeing several people post about stupid shit like the coin shortage is a deliberate measure to condition us to a lack of freedom - same way masks are to condition us to listen to the government - or the boogeyman.

8 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

One of my conspiracy ridden Facebook friends has been anti-mask since pretty much the beginning.  As soon as Trump tweeted the mask he pulled a 180, and now says anyone who doesn't wear one is an idiot.

I just saw one the other day that theorized that Trump’s been sitting on a cure all along, and is waiting till a month before the election to release it to ensure victory.

I can’t even imagine what they’ll be posting if we get a vaccine in October and Trump rides the public (and market) elation to re-election.

8 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

They're setting up for an October surprise. I won't believe a word of it from Trump, and I suspect most people won't either unless it's backed up by other countries and/or Dr Fauci. This administration has 0 credibility

They just keep setting up for when it happens, they figure it has to happen sooner or later and if they can squeak it out before the election they’ll drum up press on it while hoping everyone ignores the 200,000 or so dead by then.