~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

It wouldn't be surprising if Trump causes another surge in infections if he announces a vaccine for political reasons long before it's actually ready for mass production and use.

Many people, not just Trump fans, are desperate for this to be over and for things to go back to normal. The perception of a vaccine ready to roll out could cause a huge wave of people getting careless about infections because "I heard they finally got that under control, amyway".

From Florida:

• 9,373 cases. FL hasn't been below 10K cases since the 7/13 report
  • 13.62% positivity rate. Slightly down from yesterday's 14.79%
  • 517 newly added hospitalizations. Single day record. Yesterday was 292.
  • 134 deaths. Up from yesterday's 90
  • 77K tests performed. Down slightly from yesterday's 78K
  • median age is 41 for the 5th straight day (and last 8 days out of 9)

It appears that new cases has levelled off a bit...but hospitalizations are continuing to increase a lot, which is doing to lead to death counts rising as well.

That county in Texas I mentioned last week, Hidalgo, well they accounted for nearly half of all reported deaths in Texas yesterday. The county judge desperately wants to issue a real stay at home order but is being blocked by Abbott.

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

That county in Texas I mentioned last week, Hidalgo, well they accounted for nearly half of all reported deaths in Texas yesterday. The county judge desperately wants to issue a real stay at home order but is being blocked by Abbott.

Is it just me or do judges wield a lot of political power in Texas?  It seems like a lot of the stuff they do there, are done by either politicians or bureaucrats in other states.   

7 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Is it just me or do judges wield a lot of political power in Texas?  It seems like a lot of the stuff they do there, are done by either politicians or bureaucrats in other states.   

County judges are not court judges, they are executives. They are the mayor of the county. I don’t know why they are called judges

https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2020/07/16/nevada-covid-19-mutation-more-infectious-tied-spike-cases/5454351002/

The D614G strain appeared earlier this year in Europe before showing up in New York. At the time, scientists expressed concerns that the mutation could be more contagious than the original COVID-19 strain. Based on the cases being seen in Nevada, those fears are shaping up to be true.

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, PaladinSolo said:

Its definitely going around conservative circles that the virus has mutated to be weaker, which could be true but we really won't know that till we see cases decline and new daily deaths stay way below previous peak before also declining.

Though that’s not really how evolution normally works. I’m not saying a virus absolutely wont fuck itself and evolve to be weaker and easier for an immune system to kill it. It just sounds about as much like fiction as people assuming the virus will mutate to turn us into zombies. 

1 hour ago, PaladinSolo said:

Its definitely going around conservative circles that the virus has mutated to be weaker, which could be true but we really won't know that till we see cases decline and new daily deaths stay way below previous peak before also declining.

9 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Though that’s not really how evolution normally works. I’m not saying a virus absolutely wont fuck itself and evolve to be weaker and easier for an immune system to kill it. It just sounds about as much like fiction as people assuming the virus will mutate to turn us into zombies. 

Somewhere along the way conservatives basically settled on the climate change playbook for this.

Of which, I would say maybe the central pillar is, "We don't have to win the argument, we just have to throw out so many arguments and confuse the issue so much that most people don't know what to think and give up trying."

Things are increasing in Canada, too. In my province, there is an outbreak in the Hutterite colonies (like Amish-lite). They are spreading it in their communities and then visiting towns in groups. They caught it after a funeral was held and 1,500 Hutterites showed up from three provinces. :\ 

14 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Things are increasing in Canada, too. In my province, there is an outbreak in the Hutterite colonies (like Amish-lite). They are spreading it in their communities and then visiting towns in groups. They caught it after a funeral was held and 1,500 Hutterites showed up from three provinces. :\ 

I was told on a Facebook post that the Amish aren't affected by covid because they don't have TV (implying that it's a media driven story, and not a fucking pandemic)

• Shocked 1

32 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I was told on a Facebook post that the Amish aren't affected by covid because they don't have TV (implying that it's a media driven story, and not a fucking pandemic)

brb, giving my TV the Keurig machine treatment 

14 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

On an off/on topic note. I play Resident Evil Resistance and someone has their in game name as Die Bolsonaro. The die part is in Portuguese. It's a small community so I run into him alot but I usually play mastermind so I never got to ask him about it.