~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Canadian government stockpiling 75 million syringes, alcohol swaps, and bandages in preparation for innoculating entire country against COVID-19.

WE MADE THE GOOD GOVERNANCE THREAD FOR YOU JFC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

The Trump administration is trying to block billions of dollars for states to conduct testing and contact tracing in the upcoming coronavirus relief bill, people involved in the talks said Saturday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2020/07/18/white-house-testing-budget-cdc-coronavirus/

Trump apparently doesn't want to win in November

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

He wants to lie to the electorate by eliminating the numbers the press can report on. The administration can tell the country that cases are going down, the virus is under control, and only anecdotal evidence will be available to contradict them. 

TMC Houston said based on the current rate on new hospitalizations vs. discharges makes it unlikely they will move into phase three of their ICU plan in the next two weeks. That’s good news.

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

No doink.

This reminds me of when I got mono over the summer during college, and the only real explanation for how I got it was from my Belarusian girlfriend who'd gone back to Minsk at the end of the semester. She got all offended to the point that she asked a friend of hers back in Belarus who's a doctor about it, and he said he'd never heard of a disease that gives the set of symptoms I was describing. But I knew that the symptoms basically look indistinguishable from the common cold when little kids get it, and digging around a little bit I discovered that in less-developed countries mono can spread via the drinking water. So her doctor friend had probably never heard of it because presumably everyone in Belarus gets exposed to it as a kid.

35 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

No doink.

Really? You mean a child’s body doesn’t have the ability to hold the virus inside it like a prison, preventing it from escaping through bodily fluids? Just like every other fucking virus known to exist? 

I wonder how many millions of dollars South Korea spent on this truly enlightening study. 

now for Republicans to claim American children are biologically different enough from South Korean children that the virus works differently. 

52 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Really? You mean a child’s body doesn’t have the ability to hold the virus inside it like a prison, preventing it from escaping through bodily fluids? Just like every other fucking virus known to exist? 

I wonder how many millions of dollars South Korea spent on this truly enlightening study. 

now for Republicans to claim American children are biologically different enough from South Korean children that the virus works differently. 

The pure white American blood will protect them obviously

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Just a pet peeve of mine, but I hate when people criticize supposedly obvious studies. It's important because actual data might sway certain people's decision-making.

1 minute ago, Jose said:

Just a pet peeve of mine, but I hate when people criticize supposedly obvious studies. It's important because actual data might sway certain people's decision-making.

Also because in science, it's important to keep making sure that what we think we know is actually so.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Jason said:

Also because in science, it's important to keep making sure that what we think we know is actually so.

Exactly. Just because something sounds logical in your head, it does not mean it is automatically true. Science often defies logic.

30 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

There are some studies that aren’t very necessary. Like, we wouldn’t need a study to prove that humans still need to breathe live. 

There are plenty of studies to be done about breathing. Being reductionist to save face when you mocked a legitimate question in the sciences is pretty transparent :p 

9 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

There are some studies that aren’t very necessary. Like, we wouldn’t need a study to prove that humans still need to breathe live. 

This virus isn't behaving like other viruses though and there's a TON of shit that scientists STILL don't know about it. IT'S A BRAND NEW VIRUS. ALL of these studies are necessary whether internet pundits think so or not. That's how science works... you know hypothesis' and proofs and all that jazz.

The whole interview is quite good*, I'm watching it right now.

*By quite good, I mean incredibly embarrassing for Trump.  lmao when Wallace fact checks him several times.  

Also:

Rather than correcting the president, Trump’s White House staff has started to manufacture evidence to make it look like his lie about the U.S. mortality rate is true. Last week, Alyssa Farah, the White House director of strategic communications, tweeted that “the good news” about a massive increase in confirmed Covid-19 cases in the U.S. was that “our mortality rate is going down.” But what Farah described as proof of a declining mortality rate was actually a graph showing something else — a drop in the case-fatality rate, which is a measure not of per capita deaths from the disease, but of the ratio between deaths and confirmed cases.

Even if, as seems likely, Farah failed to consult any of the doctors on the White House coronavirus task force before posting this graph, it is clear that she should have known that the case-fatality rate for Covid-19 is different from the mortality rate. That’s because the original version of the graph, on the University of Oxford’s Our World in Data website, included clear language warning that case-fatality and mortality are not the same.

Before Farah posted the White House version of the graph on Twitter she, or another Trump aide, deleted this sentence from its description: “During an outbreak of a pandemic the CFR is a poor measure of the mortality risk of the disease.”

Apparently there are some very positive results coming out of the Oxford trial, with long-term t-cell immunity being found. That's the vaccine which is ahead of the others, with manufacturing already started in the hopes that it finishes trials in September/October.

EDIT - Also, an MS medication (interferon-b) appears to reduce progression of COVID-19 in hospitalized patients by 79% (reduction in cases turning severe). I read it this morning on twitter from a London hospital, I'll try and track down the link). Normally the medication is received via injection for MS, but in the COVID-19 tests was delivered via inhalation.

25 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Apparently there are some very positive results coming out of the Oxford trial, with long-term t-cell immunity being found. That's the vaccine which is ahead of the others, with manufacturing already started in the hopes that it finishes trials in September/October.

EDIT - Also, an MS medication (interferon-b) appears to reduce progression of COVID-19 in hospitalized patients by 79% (reduction in cases turning severe). I read it this morning on twitter from a London hospital, I'll try and track down the link). Normally the medication is received via injection for MS, but in the COVID-19 tests was delivered via inhalation.

Linky:

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

This is an idiotic comparison. 

Two airplanes colliding in mid-air is such an improbable event to happen. Like the odds of this happening are excruciatingly small with it generally being caused by small yet significant miscommunications and failures of control in some specific points. 

Covid deaths are not improbable. The probability of getting Covid increases by the day. And widespread policy has some to do with it, but also individual decisions on what to do/what not to do in society are having an effect too. 

There's no one or two points of responsibility with this.