~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

47 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Because Georgia is trending purple and one way to halt that is let the virus wipe out the black and brown people that are the cause of that.

I mean, I dunno if that's a solid plan if it's only his mostly white supporters who are gonna listen to him if he says not to wear a mask

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/07/15/new-data-on-t-cells-and-the-coronavirus

Some of this is really jargony, but it sounds like really good news. Basically, even though antibodies seem to fade pretty quickly, there seems to be good evidence now that you maintain some level of immunity through T-cells for a much longer period. It might be similar to SARS, which some people still have T-cell immunity from after being infected in the early 2000s.

5 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I agree. I don't think Jesus as he's described in the Bible would have wanted anything to do with the government. He had no interest in any of that.

However, since modern Evangelicals in this country insist that the country should be run as a Christian nation, I really do want then to explain what that when looks like. Nobody ever has answers for that outside of banning the gays and getting rid of abortion.

They also want Christianity and prayer brought back to the public schools! 

10 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Few things get my eyes rolling harder than attempts by anyone to ascribe any part of the Bible within our modern political/economic/social context.

The key factor that seems to be forgotten (especially by "liberals" who insist on using Christ's teachings to "own" conservative Christians) is that Christ was pretty much TOTALLY UNCONCERNED about what happens in this world.  His focus was nearly exclusively on the next life, with this life merely being a "means to an end".  As a result, it's pretty much a fool's errand to start categorizing his teachings within a political spectrum.

Alright, I'll bite: if you want to give Christ a modern political leaning, he was clearly a libertarian.  That "render unto Caesar" thing is pretty much a quasi-libertarian position, because at no point does Christ even remotely suggest that "doing good works" should be compulsory. 

He was also clearly in favor of debt forgiveness and leniency towards debtors.

As reported in the book of Luke, During Jesus’s speech to the money changers in the temple, the scroll he unrolls and reads is Isaiah 61, in which Isaiah says he has come ‘to proclaim the year of the lord’s favor’, I.e. the jubilee year.

In picking this particular scroll, Jesus is essentially scolding the kings of Jerusalem during his time, who had stopped the practice of the jubilee and allowed a creditor overclass to develop and take all the land via foreclosure. (in exchange for kickbacks, of course)  Such massive inequality is also denounced by Isaiah in Isaiah 5:8: "Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field until there is no room and you dwell alone in the land".

(it’s also worth noting that the word for ‘sin’ in Aramaic is the same as the word for ‘debt’, so Jesus’s injunction to ‘forgive the sinner’ or ‘forgive people their sins’ in the Lord's prayer is also an injunction to observe the jubilee law and forgive people their debts)

It’s *also* worth noting that the phrase scrawled on the American liberty bell by our Christian founders, ‘Proclaim liberty throughout the land...’, comes from Leviticus 25:10, the Old Testament passage instructing the people of Israel to observe the jubilee—and liberty from debt bondage is the liberty it’s talking about.

• Thanks 2

Canadian government refuses to recognize American freedom, has now turned away 10,000 tourists at the border

ScholarlyZestyAsianlion-size_restricted.

Vitriol against Americans has gotten so bad that in my province, police have had to issue a warning to the public to stop calling them to report seeing an American. People are literally just reporting American cars to police.

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Canadian government refuses to recognize American freedom, has now turned away 10,000 tourists at the border

Vitriol against Americans has gotten so bad that in my province, police have had to issue a warning to the public to stop calling them to report seeing an American. People are literally just reporting American cars to police.

Karenadians. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

05-E3-C100-1206-4-F57-9375-E0-E38573-BD4

BEB28-F0-D-8-D4-C-4-D4-C-B43-B-1487-F39-

• Haha 5

Russian state-sponsored hackers target Covid-19 vaccine researchers (The Guardian)

Russian state-sponsored hackers are targeting UK, US and Canadian organisations involved in developing a coronavirus vaccine development, according to British security officials.

The UK’s National Cyber Security Centre said drug companies and research groups were being targeted by a group known as APT29, which it said was “almost certainly” part of the Kremlin’s intelligence services.

British officials would not say if any of the attacks had been successful in their goal of stealing medical secrets – although they stressed that none of the vaccine research had been compromised as a result.

3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I kind of wonder how this is affecting politics in alberta since they're usually pro US. 

6 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I kind of wonder how this is affecting politics in alberta since they're usually pro US. 

Alberta is so fucked right now. Government is going to run out of money, but is refusing to bring in a sales tax. They recently unilaterally tore up the collective agreement with doctors (in the middle of a pandemic!), and 150 rural doctors just put in their papers, saying they are leaving the province. The government's solution? They plan to pass legislation making it illegal for doctors to leave their practices if it means there is no replacement. The AB government is the worst example of far-right-wing nut jobs taking power. The kicker? They continue to blame all their woes in the single-term NDP government (the only non-conservative government in 50 years), and the pro-oil, conservative public eats it up.

8 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Oh no it would be terrible if research information regarding a covid vaccine were more accessable, and worse even if Russia came up with a vaccine!

You're right, if they were just trying to steal it, who cares? But given Russia's completely disregard for human life, it would not surprise me if the Kremlin was willing to disrupt vaccine research just to cause more political chaos.

1 minute ago, Chris- said:

You're right, if they were just trying to steal it, who cares? But given Russia's completely disregard for human life, it would not surprise me if the Kremlin was willing to disrupt vaccine research just to cause more political chaos.

How does stealing the research cause a disruption in the research? It's not like they're going in and sabotaging the data.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

How does stealing the research cause a disruption in the research? It's not like they're going in and sabotaging the data.

I would not automatically assume they are unwilling to sabotage the data, whether directly or indirectly (i.e. intentionally doing it sloppily, knowing the news itself will cause issues).