~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

18 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

In case you're curious how things will actually be going for the next year.

A friend of mine actually works for the Trump Administration (He was hired right before the election in 2016) and he said his supervisor told them to expect to be working from home until at LEAST June of 2021.

12 more months will give time for a vaccine to be created - then add 6 more months for mass production and rollouts of the drug to the entire country (with variables being availability of vaccination materials, "staff" to administer the drug, the standard 5% of the population who it won't work on who will need to be hospitalized, and the inevitable private companies who are going to try and monetize the drug through their own system).

A good animated graph as to why you shouldn't pay too much attention to the daily death counts in many states:

OIVe74q.gif

Basically, they add far more numbers retro-actively due to delayed reporting. Expect to see local politicians keep saying things like "only 10 deaths today, the numbers are down!" but then fail to mention 5 days later when those original numbers have been modified to 45.

German study finds 76% of COVID-19 survivors (including asymptomatics) experience lasting cardiac injuries similar to those found after a heart attack

“The fact that 78% of ‘recovered’ [patients] had evidence of ongoing heart involvement means that the heart is involved in a majority of patients, even if Covid-19 illness does not scream out with the classical heart symptoms, such as anginal chest pain,” she told STAT. She is a cardiologist at University Hospital Frankfurt. “In my view, the relatively clear onset of Covid-19 illness provides an opportunity to take proactive action and to look for heart involvement early.”

I'm fearful that this virus is going to massively increase cardiac mortality in the future for people who catch it.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Houston had 4th consecutive week of decreasing hospitalizations. Still numbers higher than you’d like to see, but getting better.

Texas enacted a mask mandate recently, right?

Sorry, not "mask mandate," I mean "stripped people of their God-given rights to breathe without a thin layer of cloth covering their mouth."

1 minute ago, ThreePi said:

Texas enacted a mask mandate recently, right?

Sorry, not "mask mandate," I mean "stripped people of their God-given rights to breathe without a thin layer of cloth covering their mouth."

Time is broken so I don’t remember the date, but it went into effect right around July 4th weekend.

Virus-linked hunger tied to 10,000 child deaths each month (AP)

All around the world, the coronavirus and its restrictions are pushing already hungry communities over the edge, cutting off meager farms from markets and isolating villages from food and medical aid. Virus-linked hunger is leading to the deaths of 10,000 more children a month over the first year of the pandemic, according to an urgent call to action from the United Nations shared with The Associated Press ahead of its publication in the Lancet medical journal.

Further, more than 550,000 additional children each month are being struck by what is called wasting, according to the U.N. — malnutrition that manifests in spindly limbs and distended bellies. Over a year, that’s up 6.7 million from last year’s total of 47 million. Wasting and stunting can permanently damage children physically and mentally, transforming individual tragedies into a generational catastrophe.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

12 more months will give time for a vaccine to be created - then add 6 more months for mass production and rollouts of the drug to the entire country (with variables being availability of vaccination materials, "staff" to administer the drug, the standard 5% of the population who it won't work on who will need to be hospitalized, and the inevitable private companies who are going to try and monetize the drug through their own system).

if things continue like they are, and we don’t have a vaccine developed for 12 months, things are going to get wild. i really hope the oxford vaccine proves effective. 

6 minutes ago, SilentWorld said:

if things continue like they are, and we don’t have a vaccine developed for 12 months, things are going to get wild. i really hope the oxford vaccine proves effective. 

And that it's not promptly rejected by the Trump admin the way the WHO tests were.

5 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

German study finds 76% of COVID-19 survivors (including asymptomatics) experience lasting cardiac injuries similar to those found after a heart attack

I'm fearful that this virus is going to massively increase cardiac mortality in the future for people who catch it.

Another reason why not getting it is better than getting it.

The governor said the new plan includes tougher enforcement of businesses and local governments that flout safety measures like the state's mask mandate. The time for spreading awareness and hoping businesses would comply was over, he said.

"If people aren’t following the rules to keep us safe, there needs to be consequences,” he said.

Sisolak also announced bars in three counties — Humboldt, Lander and Lyon County — had met the criteria necessary to reopen after they were forced shut two weeks ago. The state will still mandate social distancing, face-covering and capacity limits. Bars that don’t serve food in Clark, Washoe, Nye and Elko County will remain closed.

State public health deputy administrator Julia Peek, who is leading contact tracing in Nevada, said the new approach would rely on expanding case investigations. Health officials plan to hire up to 100 additional contact tracers and roll out a new tool that seeks to“surgically understand where somebody was,” when they may have contracted the virus, Peek said.

https://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Nevada-reports-997-new-coronavirus-cases-but-no-15437190.php

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

The state (and I guess all states really) need to explore shutting down DMVs permanently.  Nearly everything they do can either be eliminated, done online, or farmed out to third parties like AAA.  

The DMV here shut down almost immediately back when the lockdown was in place in March. I got new license plates but I couldn't go to the DMV to surrender the old plates. :p

5 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

The state (and I guess all states really) need to explore shutting down DMVs permanently.  Nearly everything they do can either be eliminated, done online, or farmed out to third parties like AAA.  

Ohio made it so licenses won't expire until 90 days after the state of emergency is lifted.  They reopened the BMV in June and asked people to only come in if necessary, to renew plates online instead of coming in.  I went and renewed my license anyway, the only let 4 people inside at a time and had a socially distanced line outside and masks were required.

20 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

My Driver's license expires Friday... I was able to renew it and get a new one online. They mailed it to me in a week.