~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

2 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

lol baseball is going to last less than a week but of course florida is  the one to fuck it up.  but tbh i havent missed sports at all and no way nfl makes it through a season either.

The bubble strategy that the NBA and NHL are going with may work; anything that doesn’t involve literally quarantining players/staff is doomed to fail though. 

5 minutes ago, Chris- said:

The bubble strategy that the NBA and NHL are going with may work; anything that doesn’t involve literally quarantining players/staff is doomed to fail though. 

It's better than traveling city to city for sure, but there are still a number of problems.  Both Hockey and Basketball requires very close contact between the players.  That will increase the likelihood of transmission.  

Hockey is taking some pretty extraordinary measures... on paper it should work.

The main vector of failure is trusting a bunch of millionaire 22 year old horndogs to remain locked in a hotel for 2 months.

37 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

It's better than traveling city to city for sure, but there are still a number of problems.  Both Hockey and Basketball requires very close contact between the players.  That will increase the likelihood of transmission.  

The whole idea is no one has it. No one leaves.  Baseball has little contact but no bubble.  I think the bubble is the only way.  Baseball’s fucked

NHL also has the benefit of being in Canada. All of the western conference teams are playing in Edmonton, and all eastern teams play in Toronto. All games will be played in the same arena. The teams are staying in a locked down hotel that is physically attached to the rink. Each team gets a floor. There will be food and entertainment brought in and they will be taking team bus trips to golf courses. Otherwise, there is zero contact with the outside world. All staff and referees and crew and players and everyone will be literally locked in a hotel together and tested regularly.

We'll see what happens. They're there now and play starts this week.

1 minute ago, ort said:

NHL also has the benefit of being in Canada. All of the western conference teams are playing in Edmonton, and all eastern teams play in Toronto. All games will be played in the same arena. The teams are staying in a locked down hotel that is physically attached to the rink. Each team gets a floor. There will be food and entertainment brought in and they will be taking team bus trips to golf courses. Otherwise, there is zero contact with the outside world. All staff and referees and crew and players and everyone will be literally locked in a hotel together and tested regularly.

We'll see what happens. They're there now and play starts this week.

This is a good plan.  All of the leagues should have chosen to play outside of America, honestly.  It would be something to see NFL teams play all of their games in Canada. lol.  

41 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

This is a good plan.  All of the leagues should have chosen to play outside of America, honestly.  It would be something to see NFL teams play all of their games in Canada. lol.  

Ironically, Canada forced their only baseball team to play their home games in the US. Probably saw this shitshow coming.

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

Would have been even better if Canada was like "sure, you can use our stadiums...but you have to use our rules!" NFL would be a very different game with only 3 downs and a much larger field. It would be pretty cool to see the game change to a huge focus on passing (more so than normal).

37 minutes ago, 69los said:

Ironically, Canada forced their only baseball team to play their home games in the US. Probably saw this shitshow coming.

Yeah, Toronto has the virus under control at the moment, no point in risking it for fucking sports.

56 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Been in the hospital since 7/2

I (dis)like how he's still hospitalized but his minions are tweeting out terrible things under his name.

The hospitalization isn't too surprising for someone very sick. The length of stay for someone in our unit has been on the longer side of things. We just took someone off ecmo after 40+ days. Knowing how much this administration lies, bringing up other organs in the tweet makes me think he's worse off than they're leading on.

13 minutes ago, emalider said:

I (dis)like how he's still hospitalized but his minions are tweeting out terrible things under his name.

The hospitalization isn't too surprising for someone very sick. The length of stay for someone in our unit has been on the longer side of things. We just took someone off ecmo after 40+ days. Knowing how much this administration lies, bringing up other organs in the tweet makes me think he's worse off than they're leading on.

Completely healthy people spend weeks in the hospital all the time!

They're just doctors and nurses, though.

My son is in the Atlanta public school system. School is starting on time, but the first 9 weeks are online. They will reassess after that. Most of GA is just resuming as if nothing is going on, as far as i know. My stepmom is a teacher in Texas. My dad has copd. As of now, she is expected to show up as normal. She is moving in with her daughter, because this would kill my dad. This is such a shit show.