Game of Thrones - Season 8 - Starting April 14th

TwinIon

The book I read was both interesting and boring, but I found it more boring than interesting. I think I made it up until Arya started some training with Cisero or whatever his name was, but I can't really remember. I am just not a fan of multiple POV in books. Works great in shows and movies, but I don't like reading it. 

10 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I wonder if I should try the books again. Read 1-3, then dropped off. I have 4 and 5 on my Kindle, but I always heard they were a slog.

Book 5 is what makes you lose all hope that GRRM is going to finish this series. Danaerys' situation in Mereen gets super complicated and nitty gritty by adding 562 more characters, subplots, and schemes. There's no inkling of the most minimum fathom of an end in sight by the end of that book.

I still enjoyed it though :P 

8 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I wonder if I should try the books again. Read 1-3, then dropped off. I have 4 and 5 on my Kindle, but I always heard they were a slog.

They are.

Though, I've been meaning to re-read them when I saw someone put together a better reading order bouncing between the books.

2 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

They are indeed... overwritten to a painful degree.  I doubt if he ever finishes the series to be honest. Book five came out right around the time the first season of the show premiered? and he still has at LEAST two more books to finish the series with a third rumored?

48 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

So obviously things are going down in the crypts next week. I hope it's just the Night King finding a way in there and not him raising all the previous Stark dead. That would be real hokey.

Everyone down there should be bones. I think the only one that could actually be brought back in any functional state is Rickon, assuming he's buried down there. That would be amusing/horrifying.

1 hour ago, thewhyteboar said:

So obviously things are going down in the crypts next week. I hope it's just the Night King finding a way in there and not him raising all the previous Stark dead. That would be real hokey.

I just don’t know how they would even get out of the tombs? The dude they brought to Kings landing was in a strong wooden box 

No one is going to sit on the Iron Throne because the whole ruling system in the Seven Kingdoms will be abolished when this thing is over moving more towards a Democratic Republic.They've been hinting at that all throughout the series. Both Dany and Jon are reformers in their own way and both have been exposed to primitive meritocracies. The series will probably end with the Iron Throne being destroyed.

18 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

No one is going to sit on the Iron Throne because the whole ruling system in the Seven Kingdoms will be abolished when this thing is over moving more towards a Democratic Republic. They've been hinting at that all throughout the series. Both Dany and Jon are reformers in their own way and both have been exposed to primitive meritocracies. The series will probably end with the Iron Throne being destroyed.

Huh. Never even thought about it until your post, but why does she keep going on about "I AM YOUR QUEEN" ? Like, For as much of a Goody Two-Shoes the show usually makes out to be, she'll basically kill anyone that stops he from being the queen of everything. She frees salves and rules "fairly" but if you don't let he be queen of it all then go fuck yourself. I get birth right and everything, but except for her birthright, she cares about nobody else's birthright. 

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

Huh. Never even thought about it until your post, but why does she keep going on about "I AM YOUR QUEEN" ? Like, For as much of a Goody Two-Shoes the show usually makes out to be, she'll basically kill anyone that stops he from being the queen of everything. She frees salves and rules "fairly" but if you don't let he be queen of it all then go fuck yourself. I get birth right and everything, but except for her birthright, she cares about nobody else's birthright. 

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

Maybe now that it’s no longer her birthright, Dany will be a bit more open to a plan that doesn’t involve the Iron Throne as it stands today. :p

She does and has... basically with both the Unsullied and The Dothraki, after she "took command" of them, she gave them a choice as to whether or not they would follow her (I just rewatched both of those episodes recently) She also let Theon and Yara keep the Iron Islands and will probably give the North back as well. She's always stated that she wants to "Break the Wheel" of power and I think she goes on and on about her birthright because she believes that she would be a better ruler than what has come before her. When she was in Mereen she had a council made up of freed saves and former masters... not unlike a Senate. Can she be a little too ruthless? Yes. That's her flaw. Just like Jon's flaw is not being ruthless enough sometimes. But the constant instances of her allowing people to choose who leads them and GRRM's tendency to subvert fantasy tropes makes me believe that amongst other things, A Song of Fire and Ice is about the death of medieval feudalism and the birth of representative democracy. Shit, one could argue that if the Lords of Westeros represent Old World Europe that the Wildlings Represent early Colonial Americans... who were viewed as savages by the Europeans at the time :shrug:

My prediction:

The episode ends with the Night King reaching Bran in the Weirwood; he then uses Bran as a medium to parlay with Jon and Dany, and explain that the White Walkers ultimate goal is to eliminate feudalism and the ruling class in Westeros. Jon and Dany are then split on whether or not to stand down.

Think about it. The White Walkers were created out of the desperation of war, and the political system in Westeros does nothing but breed war. It would make perfect sense if their ultimate goal is to simply eliminate those institutions. There are also examples of them working with or otherwise ignoring common folk (e.g. Craster). 

This article (which I don't fully agree with, to be fair) gets to some of my underlying issues I was trying to express earlier with season 7 and now parts of season 8, despite there also being plenty to still like, to be clear. The very "this is going full Hollywood route" in terms of character interactions while ignoring the past because it's giving the audience what they want because it's the end of the show. I get that a mutual threat (the White Walkers) and this being the end of the show are compelling reasons why things are coming together the way they are (and Cersei being in the back there means things may come back to more difficult conversations/interactions) but it's just something to be aware of.

http://collider.com/game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-2-problems/#poster

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

This article (which I don't fully agree with, to be fair) gets to some of my underlying issues I was trying to express earlier with season 7 and now parts of season 8, despite there also being plenty to still like, to be clear. The very "this is going full Hollywood route" in terms of character interactions while ignoring the past because it's giving the audience what they want because it's the end of the show. I get that a mutual threat (the White Walkers) and this being the end of the show are compelling reasons why things are coming together the way they are (and Cersei being in the back there means things may come back to more difficult conversations/interactions) but it's just something to be aware of.

http://collider.com/game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-2-problems/#poster

The white walkers made every decision binary which removes what made the early seasons of the show so compelling. The character interactions have been fun, but the show has gotten very Marvel.