Game of Thrones - Season 8 - Starting April 14th

TwinIon

15 minutes ago, johnny said:

I think any defense plan would look weak against the NK army. Obviously the Dothraki thing was dumb but nothing else really stuck out as bad. Winterfell was painfully outnumbered 

• Hiding non-fighters in a place with plenty of dead to raise
  • Standing outside the castle walls to fight
  • Firing the catapults once, and then just saying "fuck it"
  • Danaerys going completely off script in reaction to the Dothraki getting wiped out from terrible plan
  • No defense for detering/keeping enemies from climbing the walls

Judging by how many people were outside in the beginning I doubt you could even fit all of them in the castle lol 

the dragons were clutch so why was that bad 

I guess defense for climbing the walls could have been better but they didn’t have a lot of time to build an impenetrable fortress. 

5 hours ago, Bacon said:

And that is boring. He spent the whole EP doing hand stretches. Stick his hand out towards the screen, raises both hands at the same time, reaches for sword, grabs arya, dies. 

He also rode his dragon around fucking shit up. What did you expect him to do? He stayed true to how he’s been for the entire show. Did you want him to turn into Darth Maul at the end and start flipping around?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Amazatron said:

• Hiding non-fighters in a place with plenty of dead to raise
  • Standing outside the castle walls to fight
  • Firing the catapults once, and then just saying "fuck it"
  • Danaerys going completely off script in reaction to the Dothraki getting wiped out from terrible plan
  • No defense for detering/keeping enemies from climbing the walls

There was no evidence the NK could raise people he wasn’t near. The previous time they saw it he was standing in and around the bodies he raised. 

Those armies were likely too big to fit inside the castle. Also they established many times that the Dothraki were unmatched on open ground. 

I think they stopped because they Dothraki were in their range. Then after that there was a lot of panic. 

What she did helped so not sure the issue. 

Doubt they were accounting for WWZ waves of zombies. No one had seen them do that before. 

8 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The audience didn't need to hear that. THEON did. That's why that moment worked for me. Theon was always a good man pretending to be bad and yes he did bad things. But so did everyone else on this show. Worked for me.

It still rings as totally hollow for me because up until that point Bran has basically been completely catatonic emotionally.  He's seeing his own family for the first time in years after everything they've all been through and he can't even muster a hello, but Theon Greyjoy gets a pat on the back and a well done?  Maybe if someone who hadn't been in an emotional coma for two seasons had said it you could at least have someone who was in a place to be emotionally comforting, but not Bran.  

7 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

“Theon, you’re a good man. Now go die bravely to buy Arya 10 seconds, because when I said good man I meant good distraction”

Given how cold/calculating Bran has become it wouldn’t surprise me if that was his true intention. If he can see all outcomes then he’d know Aria would need a few more seconds to get there 

• Thanks 1

Just now, 69los said:

One of Dany or Jon should have been torching the wights when they were walled off by the flaming moat. A whole lot of nothing went on there until the NK sacrificed a few for the many.

That was one thing that really bugged me. While they were just standing there, she was torching a bunch of wights off in the distance, like no. Torch the ones standing perfectly still in front of the moat. Nothing else in the episode really bothered me. The only thing that came even slightly close was that there were way more Starks that came back than there should have been.

They had zero planning and their biggest idea was a trench they lit on fire but it was barely 6 fee wide and about 3 feet deep, like what was the goal there hope the dead saw fire and just said screw it we're leaving?  I mean they had enough time to mine and transport all that dragon glass and then turn it all into weapons, but couldn't dig a trench deep enough or wide enough that a handful of dead could just fall on it making a bridge...  Nevermind they have the equivalent of 2 gunships and never thought once to think "Ya know maybe we should take the dragons out and find the army see whats up."  Jon also was sitting on the wall on his dragon while they were struggling to light the damn trench.

But whatever they have no army, the dead are gone, and now they're going to march south with a dragon and a bunch of women and children and do something.

50 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

They had zero planning and their biggest idea was a trench they lit on fire but it was barely 6 fee wide and about 3 feet deep, like what was the goal there hope the dead saw fire and just said screw it we're leaving?  I mean they had enough time to mine and transport all that dragon glass and then turn it all into weapons, but couldn't dig a trench deep enough or wide enough that a handful of dead could just fall on it making a bridge...  Nevermind they have the equivalent of 2 gunships and never thought once to think "Ya know maybe we should take the dragons out and find the army see whats up."  Jon also was sitting on the wall on his dragon while they were struggling to light the damn trench.

But whatever they have no army, the dead are gone, and now they're going to march south with a dragon and a bunch of women and children and do something.

Maybe Jon sucks 

I never really thought we would get any larger resolution to the NK theories and the connection to Bran and such with such a short season.  I think maybe that's gonna be left for the books and so the show runners had just the main gist from Martin on who and what, but not the in depth why...and that's okay.  

I think the most disappointing thing in this ep that I don’t think ANY of you can defend is clearly HBO’s crazy levels of compression of the video. Like, wtf. It looked terrible even on my OLED with insane amounts of banding throughout any dark scene (so... all of it? :p )

HBO, get your shit together and offer 4k HDR streaming. I would legit wait a day to watch this that way instead of live on cable. :p 

Just now, Spork3245 said:

I think the most disappointing thing in this ep that I don’t think ANY of you can defend is clearly HBO’s crazy levels of compression of the video. Like, wtf. It looked terrible even on my OLED with insane amounts of banding throughout any dark scene (so... all of it? :p )

HBO, get your shit together and offer 4k HDR streaming. I would legit wait a day to watch this that way instead of live on cable. :p 

I watched on Amazon with the same issues on a Sony 900F

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

Yeah i had to change a bunch of settings on my tv just to make it watchable.  I thought the banding was just my tv but then I saw all the complaints from people with OLEDs.  It will prob look amazing in UHD HDR.

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Agreed.

Just now, 2user1cup said:

I watched on Amazon with the same issues on a Sony 900F

There’s a Reddit thread on r/hometheater with someone asking if they should get a new TV because of how bad the episode looked. Anyone who watched the episode is replying with basically “no TV will fix HBO’s amount of compression on that episode” :p 

4 minutes ago, eggydoo said:

Yeah i had to change a bunch of settings on my tv just to make it watchable.  I thought the banding was just my tv but then I saw all the complaints from people with OLEDs.  It will prob look amazing in UHD HDR.

What’s annoying is that I remember reading that the past several (majority of the) seasons have been filmed in 4k HDR with the previous seasons being filmed in 4k non-HDR. HBO is (VERY SLOWLY) releasing UHD BD’s of the show... but... jeeze, just allow 4k HDR streaming. :| 

28 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

What’s annoying is that I remember reading that the past several (majority of the) seasons have been filmed in 4k HDR with the previous seasons being filmed in 4k non-HDR. HBO is (VERY SLOWLY) releasing UHD BD’s of the show... but... jeeze, just allow 4k HDR streaming. :| 

I wouldn't hold my breath on HBO releasing further seasons on UHD BD.

I have the feeling that releasing Season 1 in UHD BD was a "demand test" and the data indicated that it wasn't there.

OMG I'm so glad someone said something about how bad the image looked.  I'm sitting there with my LGB7 thinking, this is what true black looks like? Didn't I buy this TV exactly for these kinds of dark cinematic moments?  I had to get the panel replaced a few months ago due to a factory issue and it was so band I thought maybe it was fucked again lol.  Reading it was on HBO's end is like a huge weight off my shoulders lol

38 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I discovered a long time ago the best way to watch HBO content is through the app... it's less compressed than the cable signal they send which is awful.

12 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I discovered a long time ago the best way to watch HBO content is through the app... it's less compressed than the cable signal they send which is awful.

It’s (this episode) just as badly compressed on the app :/