Ammo is more scarce but the recharging chainsaw evens it out, also in the fights where it is likely that you will run out there are always respawning fodder enemies to mulch into ammo. Much like the first game I've been prioritizing ammo upgrades and I haven't had much of a problem despite using the super shotgun like 70% of the time.
Somehow, I'm ten hours in and nearing the end of the game so I'll give some brief impressions.
1. Those fuckers took my stun bomb, the siege mode equivalent sucks, and no more infinite ammo perk. Cheesing Doom 2016 was a fun and beautiful art and now I'm going to need someone else to figure out how to cheese this game.
1a. Three shotgun grenades > one
1b. I'm glad the pistol is gone
2. The aesthetic changes to the game are weird, everything has a strange gloss to it compared to 2016 and all the items and pickups are much more videogamey. I don't necessarily mind the change but it is a little jarring having just jumped out of 2016.
2a. Doom 2016 was a weird combination of old school and modern game design, and Eternal is a similar amalgamation except that what they took from old and new games is different between the games. Eternal has a hub between levels and a much more detailed and lore-heavy campaign, but it also has a more antiquated aesthetic with bright colored pickups while in 2016 most of the items were integrated into the world in a less gamey way.
3. The dash and super shotgun hook are going to make going back to Doom 2016 feel bad.
4. This game is much harder, but the reviews that complain about the platforming sections being too hard baffle me. The platforming sections are easy, short, and fun.
4a. Fucking marauders. Who put this Dark Souls in my DOOM.
5. Did I just read Doom Guy lore?
6. I enjoy the enemy variety a lot.
7. The water segments would be less awful if getting out of the water wasn't a crapshoot, but it isn't and they are.
Overall, I feel like this is a 9/10 game that I have some reservations about because at times it feels more like an alternate reality version of Doom 2016 than a sequel.