Game of Thrones - Season 8 - Starting April 14th

TwinIon

That was less an epic medieval fantasy battle than a zombie horror episode for most of it, but holy actual fuck.  Theon and Jorah dying so honorably, the fucking horror and tragedy of Lady Mormont's death, the dragon fights, the feeling of "what the fuck is going to happen now" as The Night's King approaches Bran, and then Arya coming through with the win, bish!!!!!!!!! That moment adds so much more meaningful context to her arc from her earliest scenes to all of that stuff with the god of death and faceless men. Damn I'm looking forward to watching those episodes again to pick up on the forshadowing that went over my head at the time.  I'm literally fucking shaking right now, haha.  I love this show so much again that I can't even feel disappointment for season 5 and 7 any more.  

14 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

The writers should totally subvert everyone's expectations about what will happen tonight.  This is what I'm thinking:

The Battle of Winterfell is raging but no major or minor characters have been killed yet though it's pretty obvious that the Night King's army is winning.  Theon and Bran are waiting for the Night King in the Godswood with Arya hinding to ambush him with her dragonglass-tipped javelin/spear weapon.  Just as the Night King arrives in the Godswood, the battle outside Winterfell is reaching its climax with the good guys clearly on the edge of defeat.  All hope seems lost as the Night King raises his sword, about to strike down Theon and the Three-Eyed Raven, ending the world of man and the memory of its history forever...when with a mighty cry Arya hurls her javelin which goes right through the Night King.  He stares in disbelief at the weapon protruding from his chest, realizing just how close -- and yet how far -- he is from his final victory...and then he dies.

As he dies, the entire Army of the Dead collapses in heaps where they stand, lying motionless in the snow.  It takes a second for our heroes to realize what has happened as they are stunned in their disbelief.  They exchange bewildered glances at one another, in both confusion at the dead wights at their feet and relief at being alive.  Eventually, it is Bronn who breaks the spell with an actual ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ at the camera/audience and says:

"Right, that was a bit o' fun, eh?  Who's up for a drink?  It's bloody cold out here."

Fade to black.

Credits roll.

Benny Hill theme music plays.

Such an outcome is guaranteed to be the most memorable event in the history of television.  It must be so!

SFLUFAN was this a lowkey spoiler!? The fuck!!!!!!!!?

• Haha 1

Man, that was equal parts intensely satisfying and anticlimactic as all fuck.  The night king has been amassing forces for thousands of fucking years, and he gets done in by same sleight of hand?  I mean at the very fucking least, Arya could have pulled some of her many faced god shit.  I was secretly hoping that Bran would just roll out of his chair, stab the night king in the gut, and the pull his face away to reveal Arya.  Honestly, the only thing that really pissed me off was the crypt corpses coming back to life because I assumed the only way everyone in the show could be that fucking stupid was if the writers weren't going to do it, but here we are.  

Also, as a general whole, can we all agree to completely drop the redemption story arc?  "You're a good man Theon."  No Theon, you aren't actually a good man.  I liked your character arc and it's rewarding to watch it conclude, but we really don't need that final moment and becoming a better person because you were tortured isn't really something to celebrate.  Hey Theon, I know you murdered two random children and beheaded them, stole my family home which required more murder, and did a bunch of other really horrible shit, but you're here now and that's all that really matters.

Arya EARNED that moment. So fucking well done. If anybody is mad about it being a one hit KO nothing will change your mind but NK was so OP with his army there had to be “something” unless he was going to wipe everybody out and take the throne. Arya coulda have been the only one to do that. All she’s been through. All her training. Nobody else would have been able to blow by his generals and army to get that close. It had to be her. 

And Cersei has been that bitch since day 1 so let’s fucking go finish her 

2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Arya was amazing that that moment was well-earned. 

What else is supposed to happen? Everyone was about to die.

Yeah, and it seems like their army was annihilated. Yara and some of the Ironborn plus whatever scraps they have left (plus drogon, but injured?) is all they have unless I’m forgetting something 

23 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Also, as a general whole, can we all agree to completely drop the redemption story arc?  "You're a good man Theon."  No Theon, you aren't actually a good man.  I liked your character arc and it's rewarding to watch it conclude, but we really don't need that final moment and becoming a better person because you were tortured isn't really something to celebrate.  Hey Theon, I know you murdered two random children and beheaded them, stole my family home which required more murder, and did a bunch of other really horrible shit, but you're here now and that's all that really matters.

The audience didn't need to hear that. THEON did. That's why that moment worked for me. Theon was always a good man pretending to be bad and yes he did bad things. But so did everyone else on this show. Worked for me.

Just now, johnny said:

Yeah, and it seems like their army was annihilated. Yara and the Ironborn plus whatever scraps they have left (plus drogon, but injured?) is all they have unless I’m forgetting something 

Exactly. I said earlier in the thread, if they were to lose at Winterfell, what's left to fight the dead? The scraps and Cersei's army wouldn't be enough. They were gonna have to pull something off. 

And Arya made sense. What a great moment.

1 minute ago, johnny said:

Yeah, and it seems like their army was annihilated. Yara and some of the Ironborn plus whatever scraps they have left (plus drogon, but injured?) is all they have unless I’m forgetting something 

Dragon and Rhaegal are both alive but wounded.  There are some Unsullied left and there's always

Spoiler

The Second Sons who I fully expect to show up

27 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Man, that was equal parts intensely satisfying and anticlimactic as all fuck.  The night king has been amassing forces for thousands of fucking years, and he gets done in by same sleight of hand?  I mean at the very fucking least, Arya could have pulled some of her many faced god shit.  I was secretly hoping that Bran would just roll out of his chair, stab the night king in the gut, and the pull his face away to reveal Arya.  Honestly, the only thing that really pissed me off was the crypt corpses coming back to life because I assumed the only way everyone in the show could be that fucking stupid was if the writers weren't going to do it, but here we are.  

There HAS to be some major significance between TNK and his army of zombies, The Many Faced God/God of Death, and Arya's journey of learning how to be an assassin from them and then severing ties ("What do we say to death? Not today.") but I can't quite piece it together.  Obviously it makes her character arc poetic af but there has to be even more to it than that.

It's pretty clear characters like Theon and Jamie are still shitlords. Bran was probably just using empathy to comfort Theon before he died. Jamie's redemption arc is a bigger mystery.  He's almost portrayed as heroic now (It was intended to be a meaningful, even tearjerking scene when he bestowed the title of honorable knight to Brienne, though it probably shouldn't mean as much coming from him). Dude did some horrible shit, all the way up through last season, yet the show still kinda wants you to root for him lmao.  From what I understand the book does a much better job of humanizing him.

Jon: hey, Ghost! Glad you’re suddenly here! 

Ghost: bark bark woof woof!

Jon: so... we need to talk

Ghost: bark woof bark bark?

Jon: yeeeeea... I found out I belong to another house too... and, uhh... I can actually RIDE their sigil

Ghost: ... woof woof?

Jon: you know what? Go on the front lines! You’re going to actually get to charge into those wights!

Ghost: bark? Bark woof woof?

Jon: me? I’ll be flying around, but, I’m going to wait till after your charge, buddy!

• Haha 4