Game of Thrones - Season 8 - Starting April 14th

TwinIon

Is there any alternative? The books have to be going in this direction too, right? What other option is there with death marching toward Winterfell on its way to King's Landing? All of these characters we already know are acting in ways you'd expect them to. That is, we don't expect any of these people to actually still be at each other's throats in this scenario...other than Cersei, because she's kind of crazy. The only alternative to that story would be one where the southerns don't believe the dead are a thing because Dany and Jon never go and try to capture one to show off.

35 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Is there any alternative? The books have to be going in this direction too, right? What other option is there with death marching toward Winterfell on its way to King's Landing? All of these characters we already know are acting in ways you'd expect them to. That is, we don't expect any of these people to actually still be at each other's throats in this scenario...other than Cersei, because she's kind of crazy. The only alternative to that story would be one where the southerns don't believe the dead are a thing because Dany and Jon never go and try to capture one to show off.

The books will even be more "Marvelier" (Whatever the fuck that means) because there's even MORE characters to unite against The Night King's Armies. Not just the characters that are still alive in the books despite being dead on the show, but characters and storylines that never even MADE it into the show. The White Walkers and the night king were ALWAYS the big threat to unite everyone ultimately so if people think that the big team up to unite against the undead is "Hollywood" on the show... they're in for a HUGE surprise when the 1000+ characters in the books do pretty much the same thing... IF GRRM ever gets to that part which I seriously doubt he will.

I know people are really rooting for a Clegane Bowl, but I don't think that's particularly important to the story, so I certainly wouldn't say that the Hound is as safe as Bran. I'd also argue that Jamie might not be as safe as people think. His arc feels like it's come around. He told Cersei off and is going off to fight for the good guys. I don't expect him to die, but I don't think he's top tier safe. I'd also say that Jon is more likely to die than Dany, but neither is doomed next episode.

I also wouldn't be that shocked if one of the Stark girls die next episode. Both of their arcs are more or less complete. Neither really wants the Iron Throne, and if Winterfell falls, it seems pretty thematically appropriate that a Stark dies with it. 

8 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I know people are really rooting for a Clegane Bowl, but I don't think that's particularly important to the story, so I certainly wouldn't say that the Hound is as safe as Bran. I'd also argue that Jamie might not be as safe as people think. His arc feels like it's come around. He told Cersei off and is going off to fight for the good guys. I don't expect him to die, but I don't think he's top tier safe. I'd also say that Jon is more likely to die than Dany, but neither is doomed next episode.

I also wouldn't be that shocked if one of the Stark girls die next episode. Both of their arcs are more or less complete. Neither really wants the Iron Throne, and if Winterfell falls, it seems pretty thematically appropriate that a Stark dies with it. 

i don''t think Jaimie is safe either... Tyrion yes. ONE of them has to end Cersei but it could just as easily be Arya that does it... or Sansa. You know who is absolutely going to outlive everyone though? Podrick Payne :p

4 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

This article (which I don't fully agree with, to be fair) gets to some of my underlying issues I was trying to express earlier with season 7 and now parts of season 8, despite there also being plenty to still like, to be clear. The very "this is going full Hollywood route" in terms of character interactions while ignoring the past because it's giving the audience what they want because it's the end of the show. I get that a mutual threat (the White Walkers) and this being the end of the show are compelling reasons why things are coming together the way they are (and Cersei being in the back there means things may come back to more difficult conversations/interactions) but it's just something to be aware of.

http://collider.com/game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-2-problems/#poster

I won't disagree that this last episode was a lot of good feelings before the end comes, but I'd disagree both in their assessment of the show as being that much of a trailblazer and in their downplaying of the still very much alive drama that exists. Post Red Wedding, I don't think there's a lot in the books or the show that uphold its reputation for breaking free from fantasy tropes.

I really don't think the show is "ignoring the past" in order to give us nice "Hollywood" moments. The redemption of Jamie wasn't a one off, it was a multi-season long arc that brought him to a place where he could be welcomed in Winterfell. The same is true for Theon. 

All the while, there remains political tension. Sure, most of it is between Sansa and Dany, but that's just the most visible part of a larger divide. There was obvious tension in Grey Worm and Missandei being welcomed to the North, there's the factiontial divide between and the general attitude of the Northern lords not liking Dany. There were also little issues like the Mormont's meeting up and Yohn Royce standing separate from the North (and only recognizing Sansa's authority). Then there's the threat that Jon now plays to Dany's throne. Last episode, for all the table setting it had to do, did a lot of this. I don't think this is a hard pivot from what the show has been for a while.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

i don''t think Jaimie is safe either... Tyrion yes. ONE of them has to end Cersei but it could just as easily be Arya that does it... or Sansa. You know who is absolutely going to outlive everyone though? Podrick Payne :p

I agree. I think Tryion is relatively safe. It really feels like he needs to do at least one more thing to set the realm on the right path before he can die. That could just as easily be killing Cersei as it is some game changing idea for dealing with the Night King.

Hail King Pod.

3 hours ago, TheLeon said:

The more I think about it, the one possible death that would hit me the hardest is Lyanna Mormont. That little hardass deserves to set shit straight and lead her generation. 

Meh. She just exists to say something BA and then fucks off.

To be honest, there are a lot less people that would be a soul crushing loss for me than there were a couple seasons ago.  That's not indicative of any negative feelings towards the show.  I love it and think its amazing.  I just find its interesting that I feel more "ok" with the deaths of many of the characters than I was before.  But then again that could have something to do with being away from these characters for almost 2 years.

16 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I won't disagree that this last episode was a lot of good feelings before the end comes, but I'd disagree both in their assessment of the show as being that much of a trailblazer and in their downplaying of the still very much alive drama that exists. Post Red Wedding, I don't think there's a lot in the books or the show that uphold its reputation for breaking free from fantasy tropes.

I really don't think the show is "ignoring the past" in order to give us nice "Hollywood" moments. The redemption of Jamie wasn't a one off, it was a multi-season long arc that brought him to a place where he could be welcomed in Winterfell. The same is true for Theon. 

All the while, there remains political tension. Sure, most of it is between Sansa and Dany, but that's just the most visible part of a larger divide. There was obvious tension in Grey Worm and Missandei being welcomed to the North, there's the factiontial divide between and the general attitude of the Northern lords not liking Dany. There were also little issues like the Mormont's meeting up and Yohn Royce standing separate from the North (and only recognizing Sansa's authority). Then there's the threat that Jon now plays to Dany's throne. Last episode, for all the table setting it had to do, did a lot of this. I don't think this is a hard pivot from what the show has been for a while.

That may all be true, but you can't deny the show has changed considerably in terms of tone and character since the show went off book during season 5 and continues not to be the show it was for the first 4.5 seasons (this is coming from someone who loved a lot of season 6).

48 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

To be honest, there are a lot less people that would be a soul crushing loss for me than there were a couple seasons ago.  That's not indicative of any negative feelings towards the show.  I love it and think its amazing.  I just find its interesting that I feel more "ok" with the deaths of many of the characters than I was before.  But then again that could have something to do with being away from these characters for almost 2 years.

Might also be because we're used to, if not expecting shocking deaths at this point so we're not getting too attached. I think the last legit shocking death (for non book readers) was probably Oberon, maybe? Or Cersei killing everyone in King's Landing?

2 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Might also be because we're used to, if not expecting shocking deaths at this point so we're not getting too attached. I think the last legit shocking death (for non book readers) was probably Oberon, maybe? Or Cersei killing everyone in King's Landing?

It's because most of these characters' arcs are now complete that we're in the final season. What further purposes do Tormund, Varys, Gendry, Davos, or Brienne serve, for example? Their arcs are finished. We can be comfortable that they fulfilled their purpose--and in some cases long held wishes--without feeling like something was lost. Oberyn's death was crushing because he was Tyrion's key to freedom. Margery and the Tyrell family deaths were crushing because they were the thorn in Cersei Lannister's side. I'm not knocking the show as it is now. The opposite actually. A lot of these characters have had very satisfying arcs. It's just we're at the end now and we know it.

16 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

It's because most of these characters' arcs are now complete that we're in the final season. What further purposes do Tormund, Varys, Gendry, Davos, or Brienne serve, for example? Their arcs are finished. We can be comfortable that they fulfilled their purpose--and in some cases long held wishes--without feeling like something was lost. Oberyn's death was crushing because he was Tyrion's key to freedom. Margery and the Tyrell family deaths were crushing because they were the thorn in Cersei Lannister's side. I'm not knocking the show as it is now. The opposite actually. A lot of these characters have had very satisfying arcs. It's just we're at the end now and we know it.

Great point. 

The writers should totally subvert everyone's expectations about what will happen tonight.  This is what I'm thinking:

The Battle of Winterfell is raging but no major or minor characters have been killed yet though it's pretty obvious that the Night King's army is winning.  Theon and Bran are waiting for the Night King in the Godswood with Arya hinding to ambush him with her dragonglass-tipped javelin/spear weapon.  Just as the Night King arrives in the Godswood, the battle outside Winterfell is reaching its climax with the good guys clearly on the edge of defeat.  All hope seems lost as the Night King raises his sword, about to strike down Theon and the Three-Eyed Raven, ending the world of man and the memory of its history forever...when with a mighty cry Arya hurls her javelin which goes right through the Night King.  He stares in disbelief at the weapon protruding from his chest, realizing just how close -- and yet how far -- he is from his final victory...and then he dies.

As he dies, the entire Army of the Dead collapses in heaps where they stand, lying motionless in the snow.  It takes a second for our heroes to realize what has happened as they are stunned in their disbelief.  They exchange bewildered glances at one another, in both confusion at the dead wights at their feet and relief at being alive.  Eventually, it is Bronn who breaks the spell with an actual ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ at the camera/audience and says:

"Right, that was a bit o' fun, eh?  Who's up for a drink?  It's bloody cold out here."

Fade to black.

Credits roll.

Benny Hill theme music plays.

Such an outcome is guaranteed to be the most memorable event in the history of television.  It must be so!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

The writers should totally subvert everyone's expectations about what will happen tonight.  This is what I'm thinking:

The Battle of Winterfell is raging but no major or minor characters have been killed yet though it's pretty obvious that the Night King's army is winning.  Theon and Bran are waiting for the Night King in the Godswood with Arya hinding to ambush him with her dragonglass-tipped javelin/spear weapon.  Just as the Night King arrives in the Godswood, the battle outside Winterfell is reaching its climax with the good guys clearly on the edge of defeat.  All hope seems lost as the Night King raises his sword, about to strike down Theon and the Three-Eyed Raven, ending the world of man and the memory of its history forever...when with a mighty cry Arya hurls her javelin which goes right through the Night King.  He stares in disbelief at the weapon protruding from his chest, realizing just how close -- and yet how far -- he is from his final victory...and then he dies.

As he dies, the entire Army of the Dead collapses in heaps where they stand, lying motionless in the snow.  It takes a second for our heroes to realize what has happened as they are stunned in their disbelief.  They exchange bewildered glances at one another, in both confusion at the dead wights at their feet and relief at being alive.  Eventually, it is Bronn who breaks the spell with an actual ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ at the camera/audience and says:

"Right, that was a bit o' fun, eh?  Who's up for a drink?  It's bloody cold out here."

Fade to black.

Credits roll.

Benny Hill theme music plays.

Such an outcome is guaranteed to be the most memorable event in the history of television.  It must be so!

Honestly, the trolling would be so good, it might be worth it.

23 minutes ago, legend said:

Honestly, the trolling would be so good, it might be worth it.

Hold on - I can do even better!

Instead of the usual fade to black and credits roll, the end sequence is all freeze frames of the characters laughing and gesturing happily in the style of the ending sequence of an 80s TV show like The A-Team or The Fall Guy!

• Haha 4

Instead of the usual fade to black and credits roll, the end sequence is all freeze frames of the characters laughing and gesturing happily in the style of the ending sequence of an 80s TV show like The A-Team or The Fall Guy!

With a voice over explaining "where they are now" for each character! 

• Haha 2

I can do even better than THIS... instead of freezing on them laughing and gesturing, freeze with them all jumping in the air :lol:

• Haha 1

OK, this is the last one of these I'll come up with I swear!

The ending credits should be an exact reproduction of the closing of the Benny Hill show - they're all chasing each other (sped-up, of course) around Winterfell at with some of them dressed in the clothing of the dead wights while "Yakety Sax" plays.

• Haha 1

Just now, SFLUFAN said:

OK, this is the last one of these I'll come up with I swear!

The ending credits should be an exact reproduction of the closing of the Benny Hill show - they're all chasing each other around Winterfell with some of them dressed in the clothing of the dead wights while "Yakety Sax" plays.

All this except instead of the regular cast members, it should all be little people :lol:

Despite my reservations I'm pretty excited for tonight's episode since it is directed by Miguel Sapochnik, who directed the best off-book episodes of the show (season 5's "Hardhome" and season 6's "Battle of the Bastards" and "The Winds of Winter") so I'm expecting some pretty mindblowing stuff since I loved all 3 of those episodes a lot despite being off-book.

The beginning of the episode tonight: 

A troubled Jon comes into focus in a dark bedroom. He lifts a pillow and firmly shoves it down onto someone’s face. She struggles, and suddenly Dany’s dead eyes come into focus as Jon slowly pulls the pillow away. Jon smirks. Bran smiles from the doorway watching. 

Opening credits. 

Less than ten minutes, baby!

To get some hype going for anyone unaware of this, the Battle of Winterfell is apparently the longest on-screen battle in cinema history, lasting longer than the Battle of Helm's Deep in LOTR: TT.

For comparison, The Battle of Hornburg at Helms Deep was 40 minutes long in the movie adaptation of the Two Towers.