WSJ: Nintendo to launch two new Switch models (premium "enhanced"/cheaper portable) this year

Commissar SFLUFAN

Just now, GameDadGrant said:

Gimme that smaller, more portable version! I rarely, if ever use the dock. No need for that, but if a cheaper, smaller version comes out that I can easily slide into my jacket pocket or something? Shut up and take my money. 

I never have mine docked but I'd like a larger one.

19 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I never have mine docked but I'd like a larger one.

This. I want a bezel-less Switch with a full 1080p screen. Everything else can pretty much stay the same. I don't even care about the onboard storage. I have a 400GB microSD in mine, so I don't need it.

With Nvidia having moved their Tegrea line over to vehicular chips, I wonder what they would put in this unit? The current unit has a Tegra T210, so I believe there is a more powerful variant, or they could build a new pascal or even Turing based alternative, though I doubt they would just for the switch UP. 

43 minutes ago, Dre801 said:

They need a higher end model.  If they don't, I don't see them continuing to get as many ports next gen, since PS5 and Xbox Next(or whatever it's called) will be so far ahead; you can only water down a port so much.

AAA ports aren't contributing much to its success.  Indies have had a larger role, and they're mostly building their games to the Switch's specs.

By the time its a big problem, we'll be ready for a new Switch proper, IMO.

1 hour ago, finaljedi said:

I feel like this is a bad idea, people were already confused as to whether the WiiU was a new system or not.

I don’t feel like that’s the analogue here. They do this with their handhelds and it’s fine. And we’ve already done this with the PS4 and XBO. 

The Wii U was confusing because it WAS a new console. 

If it's like the new 3ds with the bonus analog nub and two(?) exclusive games, I will ignore this. Maybe they'll even lock SNES games to it again. 

If it's a significant power upgrade I'll be interested, but I have my ps4 for that kind of stuff anyways. Hmm, I guess what I'm trying to say is it's tough to form an opinion without any details :p

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Switch

SwitchU

SwitchIIU

Their next logo

sWiitch

6 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

With Nvidia having moved their Tegrea line over to vehicular chips, I wonder what they would put in this unit? The current unit has a Tegra T210, so I believe there is a more powerful variant, or they could build a new pascal or even Turing based alternative, though I doubt they would just for the switch UP. 

I wouldn't be surprised if there was no performance upgrade at all; instead just cosmetic and quality of life improvements. 

I'd want more portability. A much smaller unit, as a matter of fact. I need one that fits easily and comfortably into a pocket. The current one is way too fucking bulky to actually be portable for anyone who doesn't carry around a bag, and I'm not gonna get a bag just for a Switch when I already have a phone.

On the other hand, I'd be fine with a version that wasn't portable at all because I almost never use the thing undocked except to let my daughter play with it. Its current level of portability is basically 0 with me as it stands.

14 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Gimme that smaller, more portable version! I rarely, if ever use the dock. No need for that, but if a cheaper, smaller version comes out that I can easily slide into my jacket pocket or something? Shut up and take my money. 

I would actually consider a Switch if a smaller one released.

11 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I'd want more portability. A much smaller unit, as a matter of fact. I need one that fits easily and comfortably into a pocket. The current one is way too fucking bulky to actually be portable for anyone who doesn't carry around a bag, and I'm not gonna get a bag just for a Switch when I already have a phone.

On the other hand, I'd be fine with a version that wasn't portable at all because I almost never use the thing undocked except to let my daughter play with it. Its current level of portability is basically 0 with me as it stands.

Just get cargo pants like a normal 90s guy!