Trump says he will be arrested on Tuesday and urges his supporters to attempt another coup

6 minutes ago, unogueen said:

We already eat them.

I mean...that's part of the problem. They are overpopulated because they are a popular source of food. I love my steak and cheeseburgers as much as anyone, but jokes aside we could definitely start eating less beef. Our obsession with beef is a significant slice of our climate issues.

• Guillotine 1

12 hours ago, TheShader said:
CowMethane_010-1024x576.jpg
WWW.PBS.ORG

Livestock production—primarily cows—produce 14.5 percent of global greenhouse gas emissions. The majority of that is in the form of methane, a potent greenhouse gas that is a natural byproduct of how some livestock process food. But as Christopher...

Seaweed cuts gas by 82%. I’m gonna get some for the wife. 
Saturday Night Live Snl GIF by The Lonely Island

9 minutes ago, Brick said:

Your wife is a cow? 

No. 

641bccdf2d770d001870b8ed?width=1200&form
WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

The $500,000-a-day average was almost double what Donald Trump had raised in the six weeks before and after announcing his new White House bid.

This man has a black belt in grifting 

30 minutes ago, Brian said:

No. 

641bccdf2d770d001870b8ed?width=1200&form
WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

The $500,000-a-day average was almost double what Donald Trump had raised in the six weeks before and after announcing his new White House bid.

This man has a black belt in grifting 

Easy get rich quick scheme. Play a right wing caracature. Never break kayfabe and just take in the donations.

On 3/23/2023 at 1:48 PM, Zaku3 said:

Easy get rich quick scheme. Play a right wing caracature. Never break kayfabe and just take in the donations.

Him and the Undertaker must have gone to the same seminar on Kayfabe… Donald is still better cause its harder to play the “Rich, Brilliant, businessman who is also always in need of money”……

Hes right up there with George Carlins “He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money!”

5 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

Him and the Undertaker must have gone to the same seminar on Kayfabe… Donald is still better cause its harder to play the “Rich, Brilliant, businessman who is also always in need of money”……

Hes right up there with George Carlins “He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money!”

Donald Trump is a noob. He is Schrodinger's businessman. Simultaniously brilliant but so brilliant he always needs money.

George wise that he is. Is explaining the paradox of Church donations. God is all powerful and all knowing but his Church isn't. It lives in a society built upon money as a means of exchange. The problem isn't the money so much as what they do with it. Like the Pope was an Italian king at one point in addition to the successor of Saint Peter. Funny joke but it's asking why does God need money. He doesn't we technically don't but do. 

Trump is just right wing reactionary double speech. You hate illegal immigrants for "breaking the laws, bringing crime, a burden on our society, etc". While at the same time complaining they take away jobs from Americans. They do just jobs Americans won't do for the wages that the employer actually wants to pay. They come here because 1 USD is like 4,700 COL Pesos.

• Halal 1

"We're running the mother of all experiments,” he said at the TIME 100 symposium in New York, “because we don't know," he trailed off. Just a couple months later, though, he ordered staff back three days a week. And now he’s reportedly threatening to discipline the holdouts. In other words, the experiment may be losing steam.

On 3/25/2023 at 6:35 AM, Zaku3 said:

Donald Trump is a noob. He is Schrodinger's businessman. Simultaniously brilliant but so brilliant he always needs money.

George wise that he is. Is explaining the paradox of Church donations. God is all powerful and all knowing but his Church isn't. It lives in a society built upon money as a means of exchange. The problem isn't the money so much as what they do with it. Like the Pope was an Italian king at one point in addition to the successor of Saint Peter. Funny joke but it's asking why does God need money. He doesn't we technically don't but do. 

Trump is just right wing reactionary double speech. You hate illegal immigrants for "breaking the laws, bringing crime, a burden on our society, etc". While at the same time complaining they take away jobs from Americans. They do just jobs Americans won't do for the wages that the employer actually wants to pay. They come here because 1 USD is like 4,700 COL Pesos.

And that is the problem, what the employer wants to pay. To hell with the employer, at no point do they deserve cheap labor. That's why of all the stuff Trump did, the only thing I didn't hate was tariffs, because we absolutely need to fight cheap labor. And I'm sorry, countries should have control of their border, and who comes in. I know this board is super left wing, so most won't agree, but at some point it has to stop. 

Northern cities panicked over a plane full of migrants, but border towns and cities are supposed to deal with them by the thousands and shut up? I know it was an obvious political stunt, but Marthas Vinyard had to get authorities to take care of a plane load, and the town "couldn't support them", but apparently poor border communities can. It's all a bit absurd, and if I lived in a border town, I'd probably vote against Dems as well. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Northern cities panicked over a plane full of migrants, but border towns and cities are supposed to deal with them by the thousands and shut up? I know it was an obvious political stunt, but Marthas Vinyard had to get authorities to take care of a plane load, and the town "couldn't support them", but apparently poor border communities can. It's all a bit absurd, and if I lived in a border town, I'd probably vote against Dems as well. 

You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding about what happened when those legal immigrants were randomly dropped off on a random street corner with no direction. When migrants present themselves at the border, they're reporting to the proper people who can take care of them and give them a bed or direct then to a place they can go while they await their chance to present their asylum case. Why do you think dropping them on some random dude's front yard in the middle of a 50°F night is the same thing? You think NYC doesn't know how to deal with immigrants? MV just sucks because it's an island without 24/7 travel to and from the proper people that could and would help them. If MV had an actual international airport, Massachusetts would have built the right facilities there to help people.

It's mismanagement on the part of the state if "poor border communities" don't have the resources to work with the people coming across the border. You watched things work as they're designed to in Massachusetts and New York with the right people called in to assist these people and for some reason feel like that's people panicking. Is it normal for border towns in Texas to not have people to deal with migrants or does Texas normally leave the work of processing migrants to whatever random person's front door they knock on?

• Halal 7

The Martha’s Vineyard stuff is just peak conservatives missing the point, failing to accomplish what they hoped for, and then just running a victory lap anyway.  

Imagine knowing a couple who say they want to start a family, then arriving at their door one random night with three babies and shoving them into their arms.  Then imagine going “I gUeSs YoU DiDn’T wAnT kIdS aFtEr AlL” if they were anything other than blissfully grateful.  You didn’t make a point, you’re just an asshole.

• True 1
  • Halal 3

Conservatives thought that “Rich coastal liberals” were insincere about the desire to help these migrants and were shocked that these communities rose to the occasion to help at the last minute with no warning or planning. When that happened the whole bit was ruined because the entire premise was faulty. It’s why you don’t see a sustained effort to keep up the act, as the hypocrisy that cons we’re looking for just isn’t there (aside from the dubious legality of the whole gambit)

I still find it hilarious that conservatives think real people are just playing the game "red light, green light" at the border. Almost all undocumented immigrants go to proper locations to file for asylum, correctly and legally. Most "illegal" immigrants are those who come in via planes and then overstay on their visas (I believe the statistic a few years ago was something like 80% of illegality is done this way), not random people physically running across the border. So a border wall, etc. doesn't make any sense.

• Halal 2

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I still find it hilarious that conservatives think real people are just playing the game "red light, green light" at the border. Almost all undocumented immigrants go to proper locations to file for asylum, correctly and legally. Most "illegal" immigrants are those who come in via planes and then overstay on their visas (I believe the statistic a few years ago was something like 80% of illegality is done this way), not random people physically running across the border. So a border wall, etc. doesn't make any sense.

It’s not even close to 80%, and the comparisons are tenuous at best. We know exactly how many overstayers there are on visas because we know how many were granted. The stats on border crossers is based on the number of migrants being apprehended by the government, not the total number who cross unlawfully because we actually don’t know how many that is. It is larger than the apprehension number.

It is also important to recognize that the populations aren’t identical between those who fly in an overstay their visa vs. those who cross the border on land from the south. The material needs of those, including things like health issues after the arduous journey from sometimes thousands of miles away, is much greater for those who came on land. They are poorer, sicker, and less educated. 

There are also significant differences in 100s of thousands of people crossing on land into a handful of states on the border, and 100s of thousands of people dispersing across the country as they fly into our many international airports. To give some perspective, tiny towns like Laredo, TX have had upwards of 80,000 migrants stream through annually in recent years, while New York State averages around 50,000 a year. The impact of the scale of migration relative to the local population is just not remotely similar, wholly separate from the secondary issue of the legality of the particular migrants in each.

I would also say it is a bit naive to say that almost all undocumented migrants are going the legal route (aside from it simply be untrue), when the “legal route” they are using via the asylum system doesn’t apply to the majority of border crossers. Even under more lax policies of the Obama admin, over 50% of asylum claims were rejected, and it’s over 60% under Biden. The people making the claims know it, but it is just about the only way most of them have any hope of getting in to America. It is even worse when you look at those who make asylum claims after being apprehended, the most common of which is the “credible fears claim”. In a typical year, less than 20% of migrants making a credible fear claim are eventually granted asylum.

Our immigration system is dumb, we should be letting more people in with open arms, and we should advocate for such things with true claims and not distorted social media factoids.

28 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Our immigration system is dumb, we should be letting more people in with open arms, and we should advocate for such things with true claims and not distorted social media factoids.

But we won't be a WASP nation anymore if we do that!

• Halal 1

24 minutes ago, Ominous said:

But we won't be a WASP nation anymore if we do that!

Do we know why they reject 60% of all asylum seekers? 

Our policy is basically "Hey now we don't understand why you brown people don't stay in your countries? It's not like we fucked them up you did. Don't come." 

56 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It’s not even close to 80%, and the comparisons are tenuous at best. We know exactly how many overstayers there are on visas because we know how many were granted. The stats on border crossers is based on the number of migrants being apprehended by the government, not the total number who cross unlawfully because we actually don’t know how many that is. It is larger than the apprehension number.

It is also important to recognize that the populations aren’t identical between those who fly in an overstay their visa vs. those who cross the border on land from the south. The material needs of those, including things like health issues after the arduous journey from sometimes thousands of miles away, is much greater for those who came on land. They are poorer, sicker, and less educated. 

There are also significant differences in 100s of thousands of people crossing on land into a handful of states on the border, and 100s of thousands of people dispersing across the country as they fly into our many international airports. To give some perspective, tiny towns like Laredo, TX have had upwards of 80,000 migrants stream through annually in recent years, while New York State averages around 50,000 a year. The impact of the scale of migration relative to the local population is just not remotely similar, wholly separate from the secondary issue of the legality of the particular migrants in each.

I would also say it is a bit naive to say that almost all undocumented migrants are going the legal route (aside from it simply be untrue), when the “legal route” they are using via the asylum system doesn’t apply to the majority of border crossers. Even under more lax policies of the Obama admin, over 50% of asylum claims were rejected, and it’s over 60% under Biden. The people making the claims know it, but it is just about the only way most of them have any hope of getting in to America. It is even worse when you look at those who make asylum claims after being apprehended, the most common of which is the “credible fears claim”. In a typical year, less than 20% of migrants making a credible fear claim are eventually granted asylum.

Can I use false claims as long as I make them up myself???

4 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Do we know why they reject 60% of all asylum seekers?

Majority of rejected claims are deemed invalid, and second most common is procedural issues before they even address the merits of the claim.

3 minutes ago, unogueen said:

I didn't even have a visa. We just showed up on a plane.

It's a small group of countries that have visa free travel to the US. I got married in Colombia but it would have been about 6 months to a year to get a visa. Green card is 2 years after staying in the US with Customs interviews during that period to make sure. AFAIK the only Latin American countries are Mexico and Chile. 

That's for family but if you don't have a relative in the US it's a lottery. Tourist visas aren't subject to lottery so most people with family here that aren't citizens just get a tourist visa and stay here. My cousin's ex wanted to marry me actually. (Didn't do it ex declined and she was "sus".)

1 minute ago, Zaku3 said:

Any place to find reasons given for them being deemed invalid? 

The reasons are pretty straightforward.

You have to believe you will be harmed if you stay in your country due to one or more of the folllwing:

Race

Religion

Nationality

Membership in a particular social group

Political opinion

If you don’t meet that criteria, your claim is invalid.

9 minutes ago, unogueen said:

I didn't even have a visa. We just showed up on a plane.

There are a good number of countries for which the US has a visa waiver program.