Trump says he will be arrested on Tuesday and urges his supporters to attempt another coup

49 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I'm happy the Double Down is back at KFC!  I missed it dearly since it left the market like 5 years ago.  Such a good concept!

I bought the double down the first day it came out, and reviewed it on the PCCB. I wish I still had that thread.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jason said:
641b11328a514c001825c5f9?width=1200&form
WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

Grand jurors weighing what could be the first-ever criminal case against a former president have been given the day off, law enforcement told Insider.

Feels like this was the intention all along. Cause enough of a security scare to hold off proceedings. Aligns with 45's usual Courtroom strategy of kicking the can down the street long enough for everyone involved to give up. 

9 minutes ago, TheShader said:

Feels like this was the intention all along. Cause enough of a security scare to hold off proceedings. Aligns with 45's usual Courtroom strategy of kicking the can down the street long enough for everyone involved to give up. 

Weird. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-21/bomb-threat-called-in-to-ny-court-where-trump-hearing-held

8 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I'm surprised that the grand jury has to meet at a specific location.  Just set up a zoom meeting!

The fight to return absolutely every facet of life back to 2019 is real. I know a lot of organizations that are insisting on trying to return to 100% in-person for things, even if it doesn't make sense to do so. 

• True 1
  • Halal 1

54 minutes ago, TheShader said:

The fight to return absolutely every facet of life back to 2019 is real. I know a lot of organizations that are insisting on trying to return to 100% in-person for things, even if it doesn't make sense to do so. 

Property. We're playing and have paid for all this stuff and if these properties go unused, we'll lose our investment in all this land.

Same thing is happening at my company. Last couple of years you told us that productivity is up and we're hitting or exceeding all our targets, but we now need to go into the office for...reasons.

31 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Property. We're playing and have paid for all this stuff and if these properties go unused, we'll lose our investment in all this land.

Same thing is happening at my company. Last couple of years you told us that productivity is up and we're hitting or exceeding all our targets, but we now need to go into the office for...reasons.

It’s almost like we can turn all these buildings into actual living spaces but don’t want to.

6 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

I'm hearing from sources that the arrest was delayed until the police could locate child-sized handcuffs.

5 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

They just need to ask the Border Patrol. 

Great job, gentlemen!

• True 1
  • Hugs 2

47 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

It's more than that, from what I've seen. I mean, you're correct from the landowners' perspective and don't take this as me disputing what you said. But even average joe people have pushed hard to get rid of Zoom in my circle. Down to groups of people/clubs/organizations that met once a month at restaurants. People want to not only return to physical buildings but toss out even hybrid connections like they were on fire.

Which I think comes down more to them not wanting to face their trauma of early pandemic days, and instead bury any remnants that remind them of it in the ground in order to pretend it never existed.

But when you scale up to the level of landowners and corporations, then yeah, 100% it's to not lose that sweet precious investment.

45 minutes ago, TheShader said:

It's more than that, from what I've seen. I mean, you're correct from the landowners' perspective and don't take this as me disputing what you said. But even average joe people have pushed hard to get rid of Zoom in my circle. Down to groups of people/clubs/organizations that met once a month at restaurants. People want to not only return to physical buildings but toss out even hybrid connections like they were on fire.

Which I think comes down more to them not wanting to face their trauma of early pandemic days, and instead bury any remnants that remind them of it in the ground in order to pretend it never existed.

But when you scale up to the level of landowners and corporations, then yeah, 100% it's to not lose that sweet precious investment.

I will support this. People think solving trauma is putting it behind you. It's just not what they think it means. It means to address, understand, and disect the trauma so it loses power over you.

Like my father sucks but I didn't get that he sucked so bad him not loving me doesnt mean im not worth of love. Just means he's a broken shell of a human being. 

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

Don't worry, when you productivity returns to pre-pandemic norms because you were forced back into an office. The company will just start laying people off to motivate those who remain.

• True 1

1 hour ago, TheShader said:

Oh, there is certainly also a segment of the population that stakes their entire social lives on interoffice relationships. Look, I get it. I'm 100% remote and have like 99% custody of my three kids. I don't exactly get out much these days. For people that don't have kids and live alone, I'm sure they probably feel lonely. Just don't push that out me who is perfectly happy not commuting. I used to spend 3 hours a day just getting back and forth to work. I don't need that anymore.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

Oh, there is certainly also a segment of the population that stakes their entire social lives on interoffice relationships. Look, I get it. I'm 100% remote and have like 99% custody of my three kids. I don't exactly get out much these days. For people that don't have kids and live alone, I'm sure they probably feel lonely. Just don't push that out me who is perfectly happy not commuting. I used to spend 3 hours a day just getting back and forth to work. I don't need that anymore.

To be clear, I'm right there with you. Even from just a purely pragmatic standpoint, I don't think it makes sense. There's people like yourself that simply don't want to go back once tasting freedom, there's people still rightfully afraid of Covid, and there's a whole pool of talent you can bring in that lives further than a 20-minute commute to your location(Whether we're talking speakers, employees, donors, whatever). I bang my head against the wall daily over people wanting to return to worse conditions as a means of coping with their trauma.

• Halal 1

43 minutes ago, TheShader said:

To be clear, I'm right there with you. Even from just a purely pragmatic standpoint, I don't think it makes sense. There's people like yourself that simply don't want to go back once tasting freedom, there's people still rightfully afraid of Covid, and there's a whole pool of talent you can bring in that lives further than a 20-minute commute to your location(Whether we're talking speakers, employees, donors, whatever). I bang my head against the wall daily over people wanting to return to worse conditions as a means of coping with their trauma.

People that have trauma stick out to me now since I know what a healed person looks like. Just trying to be kind and see if it makes the world a better place. Have you tried talking to them about it. The best compromise is probably a hybrid model people that want to work can work in an office and those that want to remote can. 

Capitalists will probably want everyone in though because their gonna lose money if the buildings just sit empty.

Also am I an old fart but I don't see the point of building like new mini malls in the face of online shopping hitting retail hard. Just turn these empty buildings into some type of housing but then more housing means housing goes down in price. 

Ugh our system just can't solve the contradictions and problems it faces.

• Guillotine 1

It always tickles me when people assume there must be something wrong with a person to have a different preference than they do. Or the even weirder presumption that something being traumatic to you is necessarily traumatic to another person, or the other way that you not having trauma from a situation means another person shouldn’t either.

People are complex and different

25 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It always tickles me when people assume there must be something wrong with a person to have a different preference than they do. Or the even weirder presumption that something being traumatic to you is necessarily traumatic to another person, or the other way that you not having trauma from a situation means another person shouldn’t either.

Having a different preference is fine and perfectly normal. Feeling the need to have everyone else bend to your personal preference with no measurable benefit is something else entirely.

Like, hey, I sometimes miss working in Boston and being able to enjoy all the different food options for lunch and all the happy hour options after work. However, were I still in the position to force people to commute, I wouldn't force them to just because I wanted some company.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

People are certainly not complex. Hold any fucker in the water and we struggle all the same. This insistence of the western notion of human divinity is just a drama machine that stalls more than it solves. The modern problem is that we've managed to fly off the sustainable path WITH redundancies in place. It's hard to find consensus when half the planet verges on starvation on the daily.

• Guillotine 1
  • True 1

7 minutes ago, unogueen said:

People are certainly not complex. Hold any fucker in the water and we struggle all the same. This insistence of the western notion of human divinity is just a drama machine that stalls more than it solves. The modern problem is that we've managed to fly off the sustainable path WITH redundancies in place. It's hard to find consensus when half the planet verges on starvation on the daily.

Counter point: people are wildly complicated and variable in behavior. Don't tell me otherwise until you've tried to model the behavior of people with scientific precision.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, legend said:

Counter point: people are wildly complicated and variable in behavior. Don't tell me otherwise until you've tried to model the behavior of people with scientific precision.

Sure, if you think that humanity has some intrinsic quality unlike any native species. There's too much huff and puff about societal values and performance for my liking. With all the civic push for personal acceptance I still see no end to photo filters, cosmetic reconstruction, tips and tricks for an impossible body. For all the argument of intellect we're still capable of the same mortality and morbidity as any previous time. There's a reason that physical solutions exist for every problem that's been a constant to the human experience. It's simply that we're not that unique.

• Guillotine 1

Like the push for lab meat shows that there's no desire to change behaviour. We've been made recalcitrant by modern access. The same can't be said about those who live in daily destitution. Boredom is not the same word. We simply make a fit into our environment. Like plants.

• Guillotine 1

“While the individual man is an insoluble puzzle, in the aggregate he becomes a mathematical certainty. You can, for example, never foretell what any one man will do, but you can say with precision what an average number will be up to. Individuals vary, but the percentages remain constant”

23 minutes ago, TheShader said:

“While the individual man is an insoluble puzzle, in the aggregate he becomes a mathematical certainty. You can, for example, never foretell what any one man will do, but you can say with precision what an average number will be up to. Individuals vary, but the percentages remain constant”

to back you up. yes what I am getting at is that life is simple and easy. Outcomes can be predicted. You have agency over your life because the future will be your present and past. 

We don't think of human behavior as knowable but we literally have a name for that field of study, Psychology.

Man is at war with each other because he is at war with himself. Forgot the exact quote.

1 hour ago, unogueen said:

Sure, if you think that humanity has some intrinsic quality unlike any native species. There's too much huff and puff about societal values and performance for my liking. With all the civic push for personal acceptance I still see no end to photo filters, cosmetic reconstruction, tips and tricks for an impossible body. For all the argument of intellect we're still capable of the same mortality and morbidity as any previous time. There's a reason that physical solutions exist for every problem that's been a constant to the human experience. It's simply that we're not that unique.

Who said anything about that? Other animals are wildly complex too! 

6 minutes ago, unogueen said:

Yes but a cow isn't the problem you may think it is.

CowMethane_010-1024x576.jpg
WWW.PBS.ORG

Livestock production—primarily cows—produce 14.5 percent of global greenhouse gas emissions. The majority of that is in the form of methane, a potent greenhouse gas that is a natural byproduct of how some livestock process food. But as Christopher Booker reports, scientists are hoping that small tweaks in what cows eat can dramatically reduce a big source of climate emissions.

Just now, TheShader said:
CowMethane_010-1024x576.jpg
WWW.PBS.ORG

Livestock production—primarily cows—produce 14.5 percent of global greenhouse gas emissions. The majority of that is in the form of methane, a potent greenhouse gas that is a natural byproduct of how some livestock process food. But as Christopher Booker reports, scientists are hoping that small tweaks in what cows eat can dramatically reduce a big source of climate emissions.

We already eat them.

• Guillotine 1