Why do gamers still buy physical games? (Survey)

Pikachu

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-09-14-why-do-gamers-still-buy-physical-games

The physical games market may be in decline, but it remains a hugely lucrative area that's worth billions of dollars worldwide.

Indeed, when it comes to AAA launches, an estimated 75% of an average game's sale still comes via physical goods sold via Amazon, GAME, GameStop and the rest.

We teamed up with ISFE and Ipsos Mori's GameTrack consumer survey to ask buyers of physical games why they choose boxes over downloads.

For buyers across Spain, UK, France and Germany, the main reason for gamers acquiring physical items is because they simply like having a boxed collection. Out of the 3,090 boxed game buyers surveyed (representing 15.3 million people), 32% said that owning a collection is why they chose physical over digital.

The second most popular answer is due to price. 18% of respondents say they bought a physical item because it was discounted in store, while 13% said it costs less money to buy games physically.

Another big reason for owning physical is the ability to lend a game, sell a game or gift a game to other people. 17% said they buy physical so they can play the game in different locations or lend to a friend/family member, while 13% said they want the ability to give the game to someone else. 12% said they like the ability to sell the game when they are finished.

I like the lending idea most, which is the primary reason for me.  I tend to buy local multiplayer games on disc so I don't have to lug the console itself around if my friend owns the platform but not the game.  (though Switch simplifies that)

Discounts probably come second.  It's no secret that going all digital is more expensive on consoles.  Walled gardens.  Buying physical at retail, new or used, is often the cheapest way to go.  Though typically not as cheap as PC digital.

I buy physical because they're almost universally cheaper, I can lend the game to a friend, and I can sell it when I'm done. Even if I'm getting ripped off buy Gamestop/Bestbuy/etc., if I know I'm not going to play a game again, I'm better off just trading it in. I've been bad about that in general, but I recently just took a bunch of relatively recent games in for $120 worth of credit.

I'll buy digitally when it's a game I know I'll come back to and I know I won't get a better price on, but those have been few and far between.

I buy mostly digital nowadays  but the reasons I still buy physical:

- disc may be cheaper at times

- I still enjoy connecting with people with similar interest in stores.

- Sometimes depending on the game I might buy a physical copy due to the nature of digital games that could disappear from PSN/Live due to licensing practices.

16 minutes ago, Hurdyb1 said:

- Sometimes depending on the game I might buy a physical copy due to the nature of digital games that could disappear from PSN/Live due to licensing practices.

That last part isn't an issue atleast on steam. I still have that Ghostbusters game in my library. You can't buy it new but you still get to keep the games. 

I prefer digital being a PC gamer but consoles have little incentive. Physical games tend to go on sale faster. It sucks losing the amazon prime discount but atleast we get a 10 dollar promo and I buy enough from amazon to use it.

Edit: Internet is another issue. Atleast innthe US not everyone can get high speed internet.

• Like 1

I keep buying them for no particularly good reason...

I resent the DRM common to a lot of digital platforms, though obviously buying physical is not a surefire way to avoid this.  Still, it's a bit better to go physical here.

Beyond that I keep telling myself that then I can loan them out to friends, sell them and get some of my investment back, etc. But of course in reality, I do none of these things. So like I said... no particular reason I guess. :lol:

I hate disks, but I can see these decisions biting us in the ass in 10 or 20 years from now when your PS4 still works but the hard drive is corrupt, you can't download anything on it anymore and you don't have a physical copy of it anymore to play.  

Then again, when was the last time you put an old system in to play it?  

26 minutes ago, Mithan said:

I hate disks, but I can see these decisions biting us in the ass in 10 or 20 years from now when your PS4 still works but the hard drive is corrupt, you can't download anything on it anymore and you don't have a physical copy of it anymore to play.  

Then again, when was the last time you put an old system in to play it?  

I’m the worst. Once I put a game down I hardly ever go back to it. 

On September 14, 2018 at 12:36 PM, Hurdyb1 said:

Hurdy, good response but I really love the "connecting with people" one.

i have so many fond memories of shooting the s*** with other gamers at GameStop.  Sometimes when the GM would close up a few of us would grab a bite to eat before heading back to game.

...good times.

• Like 1

- Almost always cheaper unless I find a good flash sale

- I have GCU until the end of next year

- Can sell it for decent money on Amazon/Ebay and Best Buy offers higher trade-in until my GCU runs out

- Companies have removed games from digital storefronts, sometimes due to licensing agreements

- I like how the cases look

- Many special edition cases, like Sonic Mania Plus and Shadow of the Colossus, are really nice

On 9/14/2018 at 11:20 AM, Dre801 said:

I have mostly physical.  I wonder why I even put a 2TB drive in my PS4.

I know the answer. It is because you have to install even physical games. I know that is why I have a 2 TB drive in my PS4.

I also like physical releases. It gives me the most freedom. I can loan it to a friend. They can't remove it for the Digital Store. I can sell it. The game physically has value. I do also buy digital when no other option or the price is right. Deep discounts and these flash sales get me. However if the physical release is just a few dollars more I will get the physical. Sometimes I will double dip if the price is right.