Terminator was wrong because the robots weren't dancing as they killed the world

I fucking hate this cutesy pet-ification of these robots. They aren't being used as R2-D2. They're being used as battle droids and because of that, they put on this window dressing to make us think they're adorable to cover the dystopian Patlabor-esque skeleton. 

Just now, CayceG said:

I fucking hate this cutesy pet-ification of these robots. They aren't being used as R2-D2. They're being used as battle droids and because of that, they put on this window dressing to make us think they're adorable to cover the dystopian Patlabor-esque skeleton. 

Like a drone strike with googly eyes.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, CayceG said:

While I agree that many of the first applications for many robots will be in the military, the humanoid bots aren't likely to be militarized anytime soon. If you're going to mount a gun, or even just carry equipment, something like Boston Dynamics own BigDog would be more useful. It's a lot of work to build a humanoid bot, and largely you do so to navigate spaces meant for people.

Besides, I'd argue the opposite is more true. Boston Dynamics does stuff like this because advanced robotics and AI get quickly associated with things like Terminator or The Matrix, so they need to go out of their way to show their work in a less threatening manner.

Just now, Jason said:

The music makes it feel like a Fallout cutscene.

The movement has a bit of reverse uncanny valley going on because it looks super close to life like, but not quite.

So it looks like what we have been conditioned to expect from mo-cap. 

Which makes it jarring to see it from real life visuals instead of gaming or CGI graphics. 

41 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

While I agree that many of the first applications for many robots will be in the military, the humanoid bots aren't likely to be militarized anytime soon. If you're going to mount a gun, or even just carry equipment, something like Boston Dynamics own BigDog would be more useful. It's a lot of work to build a humanoid bot, and largely you do so to navigate spaces meant for people.

Besides, I'd argue the opposite is more true. Boston Dynamics does stuff like this because advanced robotics and AI get quickly associated with things like Terminator or The Matrix, so they need to go out of their way to show their work in a less threatening manner.

But IS their work non-threatening?

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Our future is hello kitty autonomous kill bots that literally dance on your grave

I was thinking of something worse and so was someone else:

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Teabagging robots of doom :s

1 hour ago, 69los said:

I drive a Hyundai. :sun:

I have one that doesn't work!

2 hours ago, CayceG said:

I highly doubt that is the motivation knowing the attitudes of robotics researchers toward robots which is substantially different from the general public. The motivation is probably a combination of 

1. Dancing requires a high degree of dexterity making it a useful demo of the robotics control

2. Roboticists generally like robots and like having fun with them rather than being fearful of them. Doing goofy things with your robots for fun is fairly typical.

And that said, right now these robots are not being used much for anything. There are concerning military applications, but there are also lots of non-concerning military applications that should concern you no more than a military existing in the first place does.

5 minutes ago, CayceG said:

But my main question isn't why are they making the robots dance. 

It's why do these robots need that level of balance, dexterity, and articulation? For what purposes are they intended?

Because the mere act of walking in uncertain environments alone requires far more dexterity than you realize. Showing dancing dexterity gives a good sense of how robust the robots are without having to construct many artificial test environments.

And that's just walking! Never mind coupling that with carrying objects, climbing ladders, or doing any mundane thing humans do naturally.

1 hour ago, marioandsonic said:

The only robot apocalypse I want is the one where robot wives become cheap and effective, thus causing mass depopulation because men no longer feel the need to be with women.

I’m sure this will happen in some form within many of our lifetimes 

5 hours ago, CayceG said:

It's why do these robots need that level of balance, dexterity, and articulation? For what purposes are they intended?

I imagine the goal for people in the field is to recreate human motion and eventually with complete human form as well, especially if you can pair it with a good AI you could replace people for just about anything.  

The only thing to fear about the more robotic future is the backwards, regressive, stupid assholes who are going to get violent against the most mundane, harmless of these advanced robots because they fear Terminator becoming a reality. 

15 minutes ago, Brick said:

The only thing to fear about the more robotic future is the backwards, regressive, stupid assholes who are going to get violent against the most mundane, harmless of these advanced robots because they fear Terminator becoming a reality. 

pepperrobot.jpg
TECHXPLORE.COM

A few weeks ago, a drunk man in Japan was arrested for kicking a humanoid robot that was stationed as a greeter at a SoftBank, Corp., store, which develops the robots. According to the police report, ...

A similar thing happened to another Pepper at a mall in California a few years after that. Dude tackled it and sent its head flying to the dismay of kids watching. These things are little more than glorified mall kiosks with an Alexa.

• 4 months later...
On 7/19/2021 at 2:41 PM, CayceG said:

I know this post is really old but I thought you might find this interesting to answer your question (providing you haven't seen it already).