Terminator was wrong because the robots weren't dancing as they killed the world

8 hours ago, chakoo said:

I know this post is really old but I thought you might find this interesting to answer your question (providing you haven't seen it already).

I've seen this and I agree this is 100% a wonderful use for these things. 

It also reminds me of a Metal Gear Solid level. 

9 hours ago, chakoo said:

I know this post is really old but I thought you might find this interesting to answer your question (providing you haven't seen it already).

I should probably point out that there are plenty of tracked robots that can navigate stairs with ease. The idea that you need legs to get up and down stairs or navigate environments designed for people hasn't really been true for decades now.

On 12/11/2021 at 12:44 PM, SimpleG said:

I dont know much about robotics but it seems like a small or mid size drone could be programed with a flight path to do what this robo dog is currently doing. Smaller , less complicated and probably cheaper?

Yes, but drones can't open doors. You need some sort of ground robot for that.

On 12/11/2021 at 11:17 AM, Ghost_MH said:

I should probably point out that there are plenty of tracked robots that can navigate stairs with ease. The idea that you need legs to get up and down stairs or navigate environments designed for people hasn't really been true for decades now.

There are. It's more I re-read his post looking for real life use case and remembered about the video. It's not to say these dogs or any robot from BD can do these jobs. It was more to show a real life application of them outside of police/military use.

On 12/11/2021 at 12:44 PM, SimpleG said:

I dont know much about robotics but it seems like a small or mid size drone could be programed with a flight path to do what this robo dog is currently doing. Smaller , less complicated and probably cheaper?

There are things drones are good for but not everything that could be done by the dogs could be done by a drone.

4 hours ago, Jason said:

Oh man that video is so bad IMO. Crap title with lots of prototype engineering jank.  :lol:

4 hours ago, Jason said:

Power to weight ratio isn't ever going to really fall on the side of drones here. Big drones, in a warehouse with greased up doors, sure, but random everyday doors that night stick a little? No.. Even with future batteries and future propulsion, you'd be kicking up so much air and dust and papers to pull a door open that I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

Only way drones work here is that they get so cheap and efficient that you don't even need to open doors, just stick one everywhere in every room. Optics and compute are what holds you back here. You need to get to the point where all the optics and compute for twenty drones is cheaper than a single set of optics and processing on a single ground robot.

7 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Only way drones work here is that they get so cheap and efficient that you don't even need to open doors, just stick one everywhere in every room

Honestly I kinda thought they were super cheap enough to do that , my knowledge of drones couldn't fill a thimble so no surprise I am wrong. 

1 hour ago, SimpleG said:

Honestly I kinda thought they were super cheap enough to do that , my knowledge of drones couldn't fill a thimble so no surprise I am wrong. 

Individual, human-controlled drones are. Small drones that don't do anything but fly a predetermined path are. It's gets more complicated once you need a drone that can navigate on its own, avoiding new obstacles its never seen, or even an unexpected human. You don't want your done accidentally flying into somebody's face, so it can't function like a robot vacuum. It needs to have something like LIDAR or some other advanced 3D optical recognition. That doesn't address the fact that a lot of these industrial applications for robots often look for something extra that people can't do, like infrared or even gas detection vision. That extra stuff is more reasonable when you're looking at one robot with one charging station. The second you're looking at an army of robots with charging stations in every room, it becomes that much more of a thing you have to support. There's a difference between building the infrastructure to support a drone army and finding one corner of your building where you can drop a charging station for a ground-based robot.

11 hours ago, Jason said:

Yeah I saw that one as well. Before I replied I did a quick youtube search to see if there were updates since the previous video was old but really it was just that and this one which kind of shows the point that opening doors is not a good use of a drone. This above video only works for that type of a door handle and is a a really slow process that is not practical in real world applications (time is money even if it's automated).

• 3 weeks later...
_122524323_gettyimages-801805852.jpg
WWW.BBC.COM

Amazon has fixed its voice assistant so that it will not suggest the dangerous “challenge” again.

The suggestion came after the girl asked Alexa for a "challenge to do".

"Plug in a phone charger about halfway into a wall outlet, then touch a penny to the exposed prongs," the smart speaker said.

Amazon said it fixed the error as soon as the company became aware of it.

• Shocked 1