Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

5 hours ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

@Greatoneshere

Was wondering re: Trump/Trump supporters post-election litigation who you think would actually have standing to sue entities like the governments of swing states or (lol) the electoral college for something like election fraud.  Or is the issue that no one has standing to do so and these lawsuits are aimed at the wrong targets? (I.e. they ought to be suing individual election workers or precincts for fraud if they want to clear the standing hurdle)

I mean, the lawsuits are all bogus anyway, but most are being dismissed due to lack of standing, and I was wondering how a lawyer with a brain would actually bring a suit that wouldn’t be dismissed on those grounds. (and so get dismissed for simple lack of credible evidence lol)

You have it pretty much on point! I haven't practiced law in a few years now, but typically with a case there are a few hurdles you have to clear just to initiate the case, stuff like whether the case is moot, has standing, etc. As the Supreme Court said in the Texas election fraud case, Texas doesn't have any right and has no place in speaking for PA, MI, etc. So they didn't have standing. Regardless of evidence, a case won't even bother to be heard if it doesn't have standing (meaning, you have a right to be the aggrieved party, you aren't stepping in for someone else from someplace else). 

The issue is absolutely as you say: the issue is no one has standing - states, not the federal government, conduct elections so groups across state lines can't file suit on behalf of states they aren't even a part of. Their best bet, as you suggest, is to sue their own counties they live in - that's about as far as it can go. They could sue the states they live in to, but they would not be able to make it a federal case by tying it to multiple states because then they are suing on behalf of states they aren't a part of. Even if it did get through on standing somewhere, the evidentiary bar is so high to overturn a presidential election and we all know that evidence simply isn't there. The strictest of scrutiny would be applied to the case (something Rudy Giuliana had forgotten I guess), and it would get tossed out even if standing was reached. Honestly, judges may even say the cases are moot at this point since the electoral college has already confirmed the results. :p 

What's funny to me is that is what initially happened - election cases were being brought up in the swing states the fraud was allegedly happening in - and the state courts heard those cases because they had standing, and then they lost those cases 1-59 and counting because they aren't even alleging voter fraud in their suits and when the evidence is looked at, it's all junk that doesn't even reach the legal definition of evidence, it's all just hearsay or vague implications, etc. So once those legal remedies failed, Trump/Trump supporters are just becoming more and more desperate and are now trying hail mary nonsensical legal moves to see if some Trump ass kissing judge will disingenuously let a case through. But it would be appealed and fail at the state court of appeals level and if not there at the state supreme court level. Texas tried to bypass this system to get straight to the supreme court by making it a federal case but that didn't work due to standing (and I doubt it had merit on the evidence, as you say as well). I hope I answered your question, I probably stated a lot of obvious things but needed to lay down some groundwork. 

3 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

He said he would undo some executive orders via exec order, I suspect he's speaking about new ones unrelated to Trump chaos 

I mean he said he's gonna slow roll undoing border related EOs, and has backed away from the power that he has to cancel a significant amount of student debt opting for a far smaller amount. He's gonna "I know what I'm doing here" into losing 2022 & 2024 for the Dems

im curious to see how the Biden presidency plays out... I think the GOP has fully grasped how fanatical their base is.... before they skirted the edges of truth.. now they realize outright lying can fly snd will probably start going to that well exclusively...I dont see any messaging that can counter that, folks dont want to even listen

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

His time in office is going to be a respectable, traditional, normal Presidency that pundits and reporters will flower on about...and then all his work will be undone in 2024 or 2028.

Yup, gotta keep the corporations happy while ignoring poor people, just like the Republicans do, only Republicans at least pretend they care about the fetus and the jesus.

Kamala Harris (VP) built her career on locking up minorities for drugs. However, she has voted very progressive while in congress according to govtrack.us, so we'll see

Antony Blinken (Secretary of State) was National Security staff under Clinton, then Deputy National Security Advisor and then Secretary of State under Obama. He (along with Biden) supported the war in Iraq. He's generally a hardcore middle-east "interventionist."

Janet Yellen (Secretary of the Treasury) is almost as old as Biden. She was Chair of the Federal Reserve under Obama AND during the first year of Trump's administration. She also served at the federal level under Clinton.

Lloyd Austin (Secretary of Defense) served as Commander of Central Command under Obama. Oh yeah, did I also mention he's a board member of Raytheon, a weapons manufacturer that sells arms to Saudi Arabia (and probably everyone else)

Deb Haaland (Secretary of the Interior) seems like actually a pretty good pick, to be honest. At least I haven't read anything about her that leads me to believe she sucks, and she voted pretty progressive during her brief stint in congress.

Tom Vilsack (Secretary of Agriculture) is basically the entire problem with the Corporate Democrats. He's a former Governor of Iowa that supported entirely corporate interests at the expense of the people. He was Secretary of Agriculture under Obama's entire presidency. They did this whole tour campaigning around Iowa to listen to what people had to say and were promptly like "cool, we're going to give Big Agriculture more money, go fuck yourselves." He even vetoed a bill as governor that would have restricted use of eminent domain so that the state could appropriate more land and give it to corporations. Mmm, what. a. guy. People like Tom Vilsack are how we ended up with Trump in the first place.

Xavier Becerra (Secretary of Health & Human Services) a House Rep from California for 24 years. According to govtrack, he voted pretty damn firmly "centrist" the whole time.

Marcia Fudge (Secretary of HUD) lol of course they name a black woman as head of Urban Housing. She wanted to be Secretary of Agriculture.  She seems alright.

Pete Buttigieg (Secretary of Transportation) was a campaigner for John Kerry, then Mayor of South Bend, Indiana (where Notre Dame is, so it's a college town, but not a very liberal one, all things considered. 

Jennifer Granholm (Secretary of Energy) seems like a weird pick for this position. She, like Kamala, built her career on locking up minorities for drugs, then was Governor of Michigan. She's a boardmember of a company that builds combat ships, so she's a piece of shit. Not sure what any of that has to do with energy.

Miguel Cardona (Secretary of Education) seems... fine, I guess? Until 2019, he was just a principal at an elementary school.

Denis McDonough (Secretary of Veterans Affairs) is a total blue blood, come-from-money turd. He was Deputy National Security Advisor and then Chief of Staff under Obama. 

Alejandro Mayorkas (Secretary of Homeland Security) is a former U.S. attorney that, from what I can tell, built his career on one big case busting a money laundering scheme and then has been sucking up to wealthy people ever since. He was Director of CIS under Obama, which he qualified for by being Cuban, then Obama appointed him Deputy Secretary of Homeland Security.

Michael S. Regan (Administrator of the EPA) seems... fine?

John Kerry (Special Envoy for Climate) oh dear lord, sure, let's fucking do this. A "special envoy" (whatever that's even supposed to be) who has been in politics since 1972 and could basically be Joe Biden if he hadn't been already. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Yup, gotta keep the corporations happy while ignoring poor people, just like the Republicans do, only Republicans at least pretend they care about the fetus and the jesus.

Kamala Harris (VP) built her career on locking up minorities for drugs. However, she has voted very progressive while in congress according to govtrack.us, so we'll see

Antony Blinken (Secretary of State) was National Security staff under Clinton, then Deputy National Security Advisor and then Secretary of State under Obama. He (along with Biden) supported the war in Iraq. He's generally a hardcore middle-east "interventionist."

Janet Yellen (Secretary of the Treasury) is almost as old as Biden. She was Chair of the Federal Reserve under Obama AND during the first year of Trump's administration. She also served at the federal level under Clinton.

Lloyd Austin (Secretary of Defense) served as Commander of Central Command under Obama. Oh yeah, did I also mention he's a board member of Raytheon, a weapons manufacturer that sells arms to Saudi Arabia (and probably everyone else)

Deb Haaland (Secretary of the Interior) seems like actually a pretty good pick, to be honest. At least I haven't read anything about her that leads me to believe she sucks, and she voted pretty progressive during her brief stint in congress.

Tom Vilsack (Secretary of Agriculture) is basically the entire problem with the Corporate Democrats. He's a former Governor of Iowa that supported entirely corporate interests at the expense of the people. He was Secretary of Agriculture under Obama's entire presidency. They did this whole tour campaigning around Iowa to listen to what people had to say and were promptly like "cool, we're going to give Big Agriculture more money, go fuck yourselves." He even vetoed a bill as governor that would have restricted use of eminent domain so that the state could appropriate more land and give it to corporations. Mmm, what. a. guy. People like Tom Vilsack are how we ended up with Trump in the first place.

Xavier Becerra (Secretary of Health & Human Services) a House Rep from California for 24 years. According to govtrack, he voted pretty damn firmly "centrist" the whole time.

Marcia Fudge (Secretary of HUD) lol of course they name a black woman as head of Urban Housing. She wanted to be Secretary of Agriculture.  She seems alright.

Pete Buttigieg (Secretary of Transportation) was a campaigner for John Kerry, then Mayor of South Bend, Indiana (where Notre Dame is, so it's a college town, but not a very liberal one, all things considered. 

Jennifer Granholm (Secretary of Energy) seems like a weird pick for this position. She, like Kamala, built her career on locking up minorities for drugs, then was Governor of Michigan. She's a boardmember of a company that builds combat ships, so she's a piece of shit. Not sure what any of that has to do with energy.

Miguel Cardona (Secretary of Education) seems... fine, I guess? Until 2019, he was just a principal at an elementary school.

Denis McDonough (Secretary of Veterans Affairs) is a total blue blood, come-from-money turd. He was Deputy National Security Advisor and then Chief of Staff under Obama. 

Alejandro Mayorkas (Secretary of Homeland Security) is a former U.S. attorney that, from what I can tell, built his career on one big case busting a money laundering scheme and then has been sucking up to wealthy people ever since. He was Director of CIS under Obama, which he qualified for by being Cuban, then Obama appointed him Deputy Secretary of Homeland Security.

Michael S. Regan (Administrator of the EPA) seems... fine?

John Kerry (Special Envoy for Climate) oh dear lord, sure, let's fucking do this. A "special envoy" (whatever that's even supposed to be) who has been in politics since 1972 and could basically be Joe Biden if he hadn't been already. 

In regards to Kerry, he's been pushing for a carbon tax and has been an adviser of a climate firm since leaving the Obama cabinet. He also advised Gov Inslee, who ran on climate change, to support it.

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

I do not get the ivy hatred thing. Probably a way better financial decision than most other colleges.

Is it fair to say the people who go to ivy league colleges have the means to pay off their student loans to a greater degree than those who go to public universities?

6 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Is it fair to say the people who go to ivy league colleges have the means to pay off their student loans to a greater degree than those who go to public universities?

For sure but that’s not why they are saying it.

48 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

As an institution/set of institutions they're out of touch elite credential laundering facilities. Their degrees aren't valuable for what you learn but for the doors that are opened up by attending and graduating.

ig6anz9abm4wl9utvem5.jpg
WWW.THEROOT.COM

When April Christina Curley went to bed on the night of September 10, she probably didn’t think she’d wake up the next morning and be out of a job at Google. But that’s exactly what...

diversity-experts-weigh-in-on-the-google
WWW.THESTREET.COM

HBCU 20x20 is a network for minority students who attended historically black colleges and universities.

6 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

As an institution/set of institutions they're out of touch elite credential laundering facilities. Their degrees aren't valuable for what you learn but for the doors that are opened up by attending and graduating.

I tend to agree with @Joe that having gone to an ivy league in and of itself isn't bad. I mean I'd absolutely jump on the opportunity if it were granted to me. But I also agree with this sentiment. The last company I worked for had a team that required you to have graduated from Harvard or Stanford to apply. It specifically said those two schools on the job description. I liked a few people on that team and I worked with it all the time. But most seemed like overpaid morons who brought no actual value to the table.

One time on a trip a group of us were presenting our product to this company. They had already purchased, but now we needed buy-in from the end users to get adoption of the product. So we were speaking with a group of mid managers. We introduced ourselves the typical way. People from this group I'm talking about were always instructed to give their god damned credentials at the start of these kinds of things.

"Hi I'm Jodi and I've been with this company for X time. I graduated from Stanford with honors and got an MBA from somewhere."

"Hi I'm John and I went to University of Utah and then got an MBA from Stanford."

"Hi I'm Braden and I graduated from Harvard blah blah blah."

Of course, I just went to some lowly non-ivy league so when it was my turn I always made some joke that wasn't actually a joke like "Hi I'm Dan and I'm the technical person of this group so I'll be doing all the work while these assholes dick around on their laptops in some corner."

Anyways, this one trip after we introduced ourselves it was this management group's turn. First guy goes, "I... I think I'm in the wrong room. I just went to Washington State." In my head I'm giving the Jack Nicholson nod to this guy while my colleagues were turning a little red.

It seems like all I did sometimes was field questions from these ivy leaguers about how to configure shit so it would fit into the sales process of whoever we were working with. They were supposed to be business consultants but most of the time just ended up asking me what worked at previous companies. One guy was also a terrible writer. I'd edit his emails before he sent them so we wouldn't look like fucking idiots. He couldn't spell and always made fucking amateur grammar mistakes. Like... This dude is earning four times my salary and all he does is ask me what to do and write shitty emails? Fuck.

Anyways, the company went through some layoffs. Guess who got the axe? Mostly the overpaid people who weren't actually doing anything. The entire team was dissolved. Some moved to different roles and were good at what they did. But anybody could have done what these guys did when they were hired. I'm not saying they suck or are (all) dumb or won't be of value somewhere. But they did get in the door and made bank for a while strictly because of what schools were on their resumes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I tend to agree with @Joe that having gone to an ivy league in and of itself isn't bad. I mean I'd absolutely jump on the opportunity if it were granted to me. But I also agree with this sentiment. The last company I worked for had a team that required you to have graduated from Harvard or Stanford to apply. It specifically said those two schools on the job description. I liked a few people on that team and I worked with it all the time. But most seemed like overpaid morons who brought no actual value to the table.

One time on a trip a group of us were presenting our product to this company. They had already purchased, but now we needed buy-in from the end users to get adoption of the product. So we were speaking with a group of mid managers. We introduced ourselves the typical way. People from this group I'm talking about were always instructed to give their god damned credentials at the start of these kinds of things.

"Hi I'm Jodi and I've been with this company for X time. I graduated from Stanford with honors and got an MBA from somewhere."

"Hi I'm John and I went to University of Utah and then got an MBA from Stanford."

"Hi I'm Braden and I graduated from Harvard blah blah blah."

Of course, I just went to some lowly non-ivy league so when it was my turn I always made some joke that wasn't actually a joke like "Hi I'm Dan and I'm the technical person of this group so I'll be doing all the work while these assholes dick around on their laptops in some corner."

Anyways, this one trip after we introduced ourselves it was this management group's turn. First guy goes, "I... I think I'm in the wrong room. I just went to Washington State." In my head I'm giving the Jack Nicholson nod to this guy while my colleagues were turning a little red.

It seems like all I did sometimes was field questions from these ivy leaguers about how to configure shit so it would fit into the sales process of whoever we were working with. They were supposed to be business consultants but most of the time just ended up asking me what worked at previous companies. One guy was also a terrible writer. I'd edit his emails before he sent them so we wouldn't look like fucking idiots. He couldn't spell and always made fucking amateur grammar mistakes. Like... This dude is earning four times my salary and all he does is ask me what to do and write shitty emails? Fuck.

Anyways, the company went through some layoffs. Guess who got the axe? Mostly the overpaid people who weren't actually doing anything. The entire team was dissolved. Some moved to different roles and were good at what they did. But anybody could have done what these guys did when they were hired. I'm not saying they suck or are (all) dumb or won't be of value somewhere. But they did get in the door and made bank for a while strictly because of what schools were on their resumes.

I had this racist, shitty VP who would have got right in. We got a bit into once over someone I wanted to hire as my own damn report. His issue was that "anyone could go to these ivy league schools if they really tried" and because "getting your parents to pay and/or getting loans and graduating from them shows you have commitment". This guy always hired the worst, do nothing people imaginable. We went through like a two year stretch where everyone he hired either quit or were fired less than a year in. He was awful.