Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

Each party’s capacity to accept that they lost an election has been slowly eroding for awhile, I think.

At the EC vote count in 2017, Democrats in the house objected to the vote, as they did in 2000 and 2004.  But they never got a senator onboard, and were silenced by Gore and Biden, respectively.  And, of course, there wasn’t all the litigation and Gore/Hillary screaming ‘stop the steal!’

So this has definitely already gone further than before.  Which makes me feel as if this trend is only going to get worse, with each party using the other’s prior behavior to justify even more extreme action.  At some point you’re probably looking at the next big crisis of liberal democracy.  It had a good run—but it’s looking a bit long in the tooth.

China and the illiberal democrats of Eastern Europe and Russia hoping for its collapse are like “Damn, didn’t think they’d make it this easy!”

All of the previous incidents the republicans point to to justify this are like saying, well, it's okay that I walloped you in the face with a pillowcase full of doorknobs because 10 years ago someone flicked my ear.

It's intellectually dishonest bullshit.

Our entire democracy is built upon the concept of a peaceful transfer of power. That's really the core concept of a functional democracy.

I fucking hate all of the treason/sedition hyperbolic talk, but seriously, if that's not what this is than what is it?

Why are we pussy footing around this? Either the democrats pulled off the biggest scandal/crime in the history of the country or they didn't. I mean, if they really truly think that's what happened, fucking put it out there. Have a press conference, lay out your arguments. What they are doing, all this, well, you know, it seems fishy bullshit is just nonsense.

Why are we acting like this is politics as normal? This isn't fucking normal. This is probably the most insane political event I've ever witnessed. What's fucking crazier than this shit that is happening right now that like half the country is playing off as something normal?

It's fucking terrifying. What is even happening? Why are allowing this to happen? I feel like everything has just broken down. The whole system is just so fucked. None of these congresspeople/senators should be able to show their faces in public. When they walk on the senate floor all the other senators should boo and hiss at them. They shouldn't even be talking to these people. They should be shunned. Forever. This should end the political carrier of anyone involved. It should be an immediate disqualifier for ever holding public office ever again.

Make your fucking case or shut the fuck up. I fucking hate everything about this.

32 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Each party’s capacity to accept that they lost an election has been slowly eroding for awhile, I think.

Both-sidesing this? One side has been losing their capacity to accept they lost because the other side is openly stealing elections. The other side has been losing their capacity to accept they lost because they're incredulous when all of their flagrant cheating somehow isn't enough.

ANEHJQCLTQI6XF5WJ247OL7UNM.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

In a recording obtained by The Washington Post, President Trump alternately berated, begged and threatened Brad Raffensperger to overturn President-elect Joe Biden’s win in the state.

The Washington Post obtained a recording of the conversation in which Trump alternately berated Raffensperger, tried to flatter him, begged him to act and threatened him with vague criminal consequences if the secretary of state refused to pursue his false claims, at one point warning that Raffensperger was taking “a big risk.”

Throughout the call, Raffensperger and his office’s general counsel rejected his assertions, explaining that Trump is relying on debunked conspiracy theories and that President-elect Joe Biden’s 12,779-vote victory in Georgia was fair and accurate.

• Guillotine 3

12 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

In a recording obtained by The Washington Post, President Trump alternately berated, begged and threatened Brad Raffensperger to overturn President-elect Joe Biden’s win in the state.

The Washington Post obtained a recording of the conversation in which Trump alternately berated Raffensperger, tried to flatter him, begged him to act and threatened him with vague criminal consequences if the secretary of state refused to pursue his false claims, at one point warning that Raffensperger was taking “a big risk.”

Throughout the call, Raffensperger and his office’s general counsel rejected his assertions, explaining that Trump is relying on debunked conspiracy theories and that President-elect Joe Biden’s 12,779-vote victory in Georgia was fair and accurate.

lbr they'd steal the election for Trump if they were confident they could get away with it

2 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

So, uh, I'm not a fancy big city lawyer, but that phone call seems like it's very straightforwardly a crime.

Great, throw it on the pile of other straightforward crimes.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Jason said:

Both-sidesing this? One side has been losing their capacity to accept they lost because the other side is openly stealing elections. The other side has been losing their capacity to accept they lost because they're incredulous when all of their flagrant cheating somehow isn't enough.

I don't know how you can look at florida in 2000 and ohio in 2004 and both sides this shit. SM should know better but then again he reads right wing trash media 

6 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I don't know how you can look at florida in 2000 and ohio in 2004 and both sides this shit. SM should know better but then again he reads right wing trash media 

The same way every GOP chud was like "BuT wHaT aBoUt RoBeRt BoRk?!" when they stole a Supreme Court seat

19 minutes ago, Jason said:

The GOP:

image.png

lol I didn't realize there was another part of this quote, at least in the book version of Princess Bride. Makes it fit even better with all the civility baiting:

You are trying to kidnap what I have rightfully stolen, and I think it quite ungentlemanly.

38 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

KmG8du3.png

59 minutes ago, Jason said:

That was not my intent; I already said this has gone way farther than before.  Maybe I should have said ‘way way way farther’ for clarity.  The Republicans are definitely on a different level here than the Dems.

But the impulse to not accept the legitimacy of an election won by the opposing party has definitely been present and on the rise before.  It’s just getting worse.

And that’s not even counting stuff like the birther conspiracy which was essentially a way of saying ‘okay, you got the votes, but you’re still not legit cause of ‘technical reasons’.’ (technical reasons encompassing *wink wink* racism)

1 hour ago, PaladinSolo said:

WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

crimes to the very end.  gotta love it

I listened to the audio... :doh: 

I mean does ANYONE doubt the Ukraine thing now? FUCK REPUBLIKKKANS.

43 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Biden won, so technically, yes, it's the end of "Teflon Don" who is one of the few twice popular-vote losing impeached one-term presidents.

But nothing stuck or something. :p 

It didn't "stick" because at worst, he's gonna walk free with hundreds of millions of dollars that he's grifted from his Presidency and a sizable portion of the country that still hangs on his every word like the Gospel. This fucking guy should be UNDER the jail.

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I listened to the audio... :doh: 

I mean does ANYONE doubt the Ukraine thing now? FUCK REPUBLIKKKANS.

It didn't "stick" because at worst, he's gonna walk free with hundreds of millions of dollars that he's grifted from his Presidency and a sizable portion of the country that still hangs on his every word like the Gospel. This fucking guy should be UNDER the jail.

He's half a trillion in debt; he's walking away with nothing but being a twice popular vote losing impeached one-term president.

They can hang to his every word all they want. Despite Paintsuit Nation and all sorts of "Hillary was right" memes and supporters after 2016, it didn't change that Trump was still president. Hang they will as Biden is president.

Every year, Republicans lost, and every year, I was told nothing mattered. Well, fuck the past four years of that nonsense. It mattered. He's going away.

3 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Don’t worry Joe “national unity” Biden will insist we just move on because we can’t afford to have both parties going after each other.

Joe seems to have been the right guy to win the election (no way to falsify this anyway) but I'm not sure he's the right person going forward.

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Joe seems to have been the right guy to win the election (no way to falsify this anyway) but I'm not sure he's the right person going forward.

he's acknowledged that himself  which is why he's all but pledged to not run in 2024. He's always said he saw himself as a bridge to the next generation.

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

he's acknowledged that himself  which is why he's all but pledged to not run in 2024. He's always said he saw himself as a bridge to the next generation.

The appointments he's put forward don't scream moving to the next generation but getting "the adults" back in charge from the Obama administration

11 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The appointments he's put forward don't scream moving to the next generation but getting "the adults" back in charge from the Obama administration

I don't actually hold that much against him. He could very well think he needs some people that already know how to right things before moving on.

3 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

Impeach him again, today.