The Kavanaugh Confirmation Charade Thread

I don't get what is so hard to understand about this.

If you asked me exactly what I was doing at 9:59 am on September 11th, 2001 I could tell you in detail. If you asked me exactly what I was doing on 8:22 PM of that day, I'd draw a blank. I think most people in the country would have a similar experience.

I mean, I know these people have a motivation for ignoring the obvious, but fuck it's not too hard to get. Traumatic experiences often etch themselves in your memory the way other things don't.

2 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

Look how these fucktards justify it.

So fucking disingenuous.

What Trump did is the very definition of mocking. 

The worst bullies may be the ones that feign ignorance and innocence when you call them on their shit.

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

If you asked me exactly what I was doing at 9:59 am on September 11th, 2001 I could tell you in detail. If you asked me exactly what I was doing on 8:22 PM of that day, I'd draw a blank. I think most people in the country would have a similar experience.

I mean, I know these people have a motivation for ignoring the obvious, but fuck it's not too hard to get. Traumatic experiences often etch themselves in your memory the way other things don't.

So fucking disingenuous.

What Trump did is the very definition of mocking. 

The worst bullies may be the ones that feign ignorance and innocence when you call them on their shit.

I still don't get why this is their "got 'em" moment with Ford, is it because it's literally all they have?  I remember the day I had an operation to relieve a subdural hematoma, I remember going under, I remember waking up with a tube coming out of my head, I remember them removing that tube, I remember the surgeon's face.  I don't remember what the nurse looked like who checked in on me a bunch in the ICU or the car ride home from the hospital a couple days later.  That shit happened about 25 years ago

11 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

We live in the best timeline, folks.  Can't have a good story without a villain. 

You know, I know you jest, but I want to say that I actually do appreciate the more, I dunno, optimistic or upbeat view you have? I've no doubt you take politics seriously and what happens in the country, but these posts are honestly sometimes much appreciated.

38 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It’s a James Carvill quote in reference to Bill Clinton accusers, iirc. I wouldn’t really say it’s “Riley-level misleading” as Graham still used the abhorrent quote and probably shouldn’t have.

It’s misleading because the quote is not being used in regards to the Kavanaugh accusers, while the tweet tries to suggest it was.

13 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

I mean, I know these people have a motivation for ignoring the obvious, but fuck it's not too hard to get. Traumatic experiences often etch themselves in your memory the way other things don't..

Again, flashbulb memories are no less subject to manipulation, recall bias, error, manipulation, etc., than “normal” memories are. People feel strongly that they are more accurate but they are not more likely to be accurate.

This is not to say that I question the Ford’s testimony nor the claims of abuse victims. But stuff like the Challenger explosion or 9/11 case studies have shown that even over a relatively short time (a few years) people’s recall of those events is meaningfully different than written accounts that provided shortly after the event happened.

I’ve got a message out to a buddy who does this research for a living to see if there’s anything accessible outside of academic journals that backs this up, I’ll post them if / when I hear back.

23 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It’s misleading because the quote is not being used in regards to the Kavanaugh accusers, while the tweet tries to suggest it was.

The question was in regards to Trump’s mocking of Ford last night, Graham then stated that everything Trump said was “factual” said “he [Graham] could figure this out right now” then used the quote in question. If he didn’t mean it to insinuate about Ford, he sure chose his words poorly. He then seemingly spent the rest of the time in the clip walking it back once he realized most wouldn’t get the reference. It was a stupid thing to say, regardless of how it may or may not have been meant.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

The question was in regards to Trump’s mocking of Ford last night, Graham then stated that everything Trump said was “factual” said “he [Graham] could figure this out right now” then used the quote in question. If he didn’t mean it to insinuate about Ford, he sure chose his words poorly. He then seemingly spent the rest of the time in the clip walking it back once he realized most wouldn’t get the reference. It was a stupid thing to say, regardless of how it may or may not have been meant.

You just misrepresented it too :p

The moderator calls Trump’s comments personally degrading to Dr. Ford as a refutation of Graham’s claim that Trump was just being factual.

Graham’s response to that comment, that it was personally degrading to Ford, was to give an example of something he believes is actually personally degrading by calling attention to Carville’s words about Paula Jones.

You cut out the moderator’s comment which alters the exchange.

14 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

You just misrepresented it too :p

The moderator calls Trump’s comments personally degrading to Dr. Ford as a refutation of Graham’s claim that Trump was just being factual.

Graham’s response to that comment, that it was personally degrading to Ford, was to give an example of something he believes is actually personally degrading by calling attention to Carville’s words about Paula Jones.

You cut out the moderator’s comment which alters the exchange.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

It was a stupid thing to say, regardless of how it may or may not have been meant.

:p 

More Believe Ford Than Kavanaugh, A Cultural Shift From 1991

In choosing who is telling the truth, 45 percent said Ford is, up from 32 percent ahead of her Sept. 27 testimony. A third (33 percent) said Kavanaugh is the one telling the truth, up slightly from 26 percent before he testified but not as much of a rise as for Ford.

The daylong hearing appears to have been influential in helping people decide who was telling the truth. Before the hearing, 42 percent said they were unsure whom to believe. Now, just 22 percent are unsure.

The results represent a shift from 1991, when more people said they believed then-Supreme Court nominee Clarence Thomas over Anita Hill. Hill accused Thomas of sexual harassment in the workplace. A 1991 CBS/New York Times poll, also conducted days after their dramatic, televised Capitol Hill testimonies, found that 58 percent believed Thomas more, as opposed to just 24 percent who said Hill.

At this point I almost want Kavanugh to get through. He can linger on for decades as a shitstain on the republican party and a reminder of just how morally bankrupt they are.

It's not like his voting record will be different from whatever non-rapey non-frat bro they nominate in his place so what does it even matter.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Fair :lol:

:hug: 

To me, it came off as a way to disguise an insult inside a "what about-ism" style reference. I do understand how it could be innocent, much like the idiotic Hatch "attractive/pleasing" remark (he meant rhetorically as a witness, not physically - but it was still ridiculously stupid and bad wording). The Carvill quote was just unnecessary if Graham didn't mean it towards Ford, even partly. But, again, I do get how it can be innocent. :sun: 

13 minutes ago, ort said:

At this point I almost want Kavanugh to get through. He can linger on for decades as a shitstain on the republican party and a reminder of just how morally bankrupt they are.

No. No, you do not.

It's not like his voting record will be different from whatever non-rapey non-frat bro they nominate in his place so what does it even matter.

Abortion, executive power, "a president cannot be indicted", etc