The Kavanaugh Confirmation Charade Thread

3 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

I think her testimony qualifies as credible enough evidence.

I’m glad more people are coming around to the fact that first hand accounts by alleged victims indeed are pieces of evidence of a crime.

9 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

What does everyone think if the FBI finds no credible evidence to support any of the sexual assault claims?

This is the biggest issue I have with Democrats putting all their eggs in the FBI basket. I know it’s the most substantive avenue, but it’s high risk / high reward.

I think it’s better to play the personality and temperament angle, and the times he demonstrably lies under oath to Patrick Leahy, but realize those don’t play much to your average constituent.

22 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I don't see how am I supposed to take in anyway but personal. 

You said something ignorant. That doesn't mean I hate you. Just do better next time. 

16 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

What does everyone think if the FBI finds no credible evidence to support any of the sexual assault claims?

I don't think an assault can ever be proven. That's why this isn't a criminal trial. Dr Ford came off as credible yesterday.

Sexual misconduct aside, his conduct yesterday is enough evidence that he doesn't belong on the highest court in the nation. 

11 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Did the White House Counsel finally take away his phone?  

By his own admission, he's been too busy to watch TV... suggesting that the President of Chile could watch TV with him to get caught up :lol: 

He's allegedly already blaming Flake and The Democrats behind the scenes so expect them to be the targets of his tweets this weekend.

1 hour ago, Scott said:

There are 9 of them. Out of all of us. We can ask that they be damn near perfect. He isn't fit for this post.

I’ve had this conversation with numerous friends and colleagues.

This is the best person for the job? The absolute, unequivocal, best justice in the US for this lifetime appointment?

10 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

I’ve had this conversation with numerous friends and colleagues.

This is the best person for the job? The absolute, unequivocal, best justice in the US for this lifetime appointment?

I'm sure it has nothing to do with thinking Kavanaugh's unusually expansive views on executive power make him the best candidate for ruling "properly" on this case.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yup... as if on cue, folks are already  coming forward saying Kavanaugh didn't tell the complete truth about his drinking habits at college. 

People were already doing this for weeks now. There is a reason Kavanaugh never explicitly described his history of drinking and instead used things like academic and athletic performance as proxies in place of saying he didn’t drink a lot because too many people would refute that. He is a good lawyer.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I’m glad more people are coming around to the fact that first hand accounts by alleged victims indeed are pieces of evidence of a crime.

We tend to rightly scrutinize eyewitness testimony but I think it's become more and more clear how particularly traumatic events make memory even MORE reliable. That is in no small part thanks to Dr. Ford and her expert testimony. A true American hero.

4 hours ago, Anathema- said:

This is a far more interesting and substantive thing and the thread is very small (one witness). If "Squi" testifies that Kavanaugh certainly knew Ford then that's a significant lie made under oath.

Oh and apparently this was the guy who was falsely accused of being the one who actually assaulted Dr. Ford. I wonder what he's thinking right now.

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

People were already doing this for weeks now. There is a reason Kavanaugh never explicitly described his history of drinking and instead used things like academic and athletic performance as proxies in place of saying he didn’t drink a lot because too many people would refute that. He is a good lawyer.

He literally explicitly described his drinking under oath during his testimony yesterday and in fact may have let his emotions get the best of him when he repeatedly said that he didnt drink to excess and never blacked out or became belligerent.  Some people who were there and knew him at the time believe he may have perjured himself and while that may not meet the legal standard of perjury,  it doesn't have to. This isn't legal proceeding. This is the court of public opinion and if you have a bunch of former classmates of Kavanaugh going on the news for the next week saying he lied about being a falling down drunk ... that doesn't look good.

@Jason when did McConnell warn Trump about Kavanaugh?

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

He literally explicitly described his drinking under oath during his testimony yesterday and in fact may have let his emotions get the best of him when he repeatedly said that he didnt drink to excess and never blacked out or became belligerent.  Some people who were there and knew him at the time believe he may have perjured himself and while that may not meet the legal standard of perjury,  it doesn't have to. This isn't legal proceeding. This is the court of public opinion and if you have a bunch of former classmates of Kavanaugh going on the news for the next week saying he lied about being a falling down drunk ... that doesn't look good.

@Jason when did McConnell warn Trump about Kavanaugh?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/07/us/politics/trump-mcconnell-supreme-court.html

I'm thinking the public reason we got isn't the real reason (or isn't the ENTIRE reason at least). 

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yes, you just described why this is about perception. What does it mean to drink to excess? This was even something that came up throughout the day of questioning that Kavanaugh didn’t answer with regards to the quantity of beer he would consume.

If this were about the court of public opinion, Kavanaugh would have no chance as he’s had a net unfavorable view for a month or more now. 

9 hours ago, Anathema- said:

We tend to rightly scrutinize eyewitness testimony but I think it's become more and more clear how particularly traumatic events make memory even MORE reliable.

It's been a while since I've read the research on this but a buddy of mine still does that for a living as a professor, so I can double check... but the research indicates that this is not true.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

It's been a while since I've read the research on this but a buddy of mine still does that for a living as a professor, so I can double check... but the research indicates that this is not true.

My policy about my memory is by far the best one and therefore should be adopted as the default position.

• Like 1

Not sure if this article was posted yet, but it regards memory and interviews Dr. Julia Shaw who cut her teeth doing research on how to implant memories in people and spends a lot of her time communicating why people should be skeptical of their memories.

Despite that, she supports that the facts Dr. Ford claims to accurately recall are likely correct, while the facts Kavanaugh remembers are far more prone to memory failure.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/judge-brett-kavanaugh-dr-ford-senate-hearing

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ByWatterson said:

Thousands of murderers have been convicted on the basis of one eyewitness's testimony. Testimony IS EVIDENCE. It's why credibility instructions are given to every juror in America. 

This is SO stupid. 

Fucking armchair lawyers, man. 

Oh I have years of legal experience.

267a2d5103fc5535acc38016b9d7ebe9--phoeni

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, ByWatterson said:

Thousands of murderers have been convicted on the basis of one eyewitness's testimony. Testimony IS EVIDENCE. It's why credibility instructions are given to every juror in America. 

This is SO stupid. 

Fucking armchair lawyers, man. 

We're also talking about a woman relating her own experience at the hands of someone she knew. Like, if she was assaulted by an anonymous stranger and years later swears that person was Kavanaugh, I'd be far more skeptical. In this case, she's talking about a person she knew at the time and identified as her attached years ago.