The Kavanaugh Confirmation Charade Thread

1 minute ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Not honoring the precedent of allowing a vote on a Supreme Court nominee.

Not technically illegal, but definitely underhanded.

In politics, you can't expect to break norms to attain an advantage of some kind and then expect others not to the same in response.  Maybe the world would be better if politics--and democracies in particular--weren't so tit-for-tat and escalation-prone that way, but they are.

As I said, (maybe not clearly enough) if indeed the Dems pull off the feat off winning in 2020, impeaching Kavanaugh, and then replacing him with a Dem pick, I would view it as the natural consequence of this kind of political escalation--and as much the Repubs' fault as the Dems.  But also, in the long-run, I think it wouild be very bad overall for US political culture, and both political parties.

Gorsuch was the result of Mitch's underhandedness on Garland. Kennedy stepped down and basically hand picked Kav.

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

It's cute that you think the Democrats trying to impeach Kavanaugh is what would give future Republicans with control of both houses the green light to impeach any liberal Justice they don't like. When Barron is president, we'll see how that winds up holding up.

It's cute that you think they won't already do that at some point anyway. 

55 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Not honoring the precedent of allowing a vote on a Supreme Court nominee.

Not technically illegal, but definitely underhanded.

That’s Gorsuch, not Kav.

I was actually talking about Gorsuch, sorry for not being clear—essentially, to put it in simple terms, Trump has one more nominee on the court than he ought to have if the standard congressional precedents had been followed.  I can see how you would justify taking down Kavanaugh as a way to claw back the advantage Republicans gained by subverting those precedents.

However, as I said, the effects of that kind of escalation would be deleterious in the long-term too.

• 1 year later...
4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

this is worth the ancient bump. Jesus christ

What's new here? I thought we already knew they never spoke to anyone because McConnell, Collins, and Murkowksi rigged the terms of the investigation?

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

What's new here? I thought we already knew they never spoke to anyone because McConnell, Collins, and Murkowksi rigged the terms of the investigation?

[Senator] Whitehouse said he is seeking answers about “how, why, and at whose behest” the FBI conducted a “fake” investigation if standard procedures were violated, including standards for following allegations gathered through FBI “tip lines”.