Pedo guy megalomaniacal manchild officially owns Twitter

Right before I stopped logging into Twitter entirely it was around the time of the Mike Johnson speakership vote stuff, and every time a reporter had news about a new floor vote being called or whatever, there would be at least 2 or 3 of those very generic looking blue check accounts in the replies saying with an incredibly banal comment like, "This is a very interesting turn of events! I will keep watching with interest! Perhaps Mike Johnson will get enough votes next time!" It definitely seemed like they were AIs at the time, but I was never entirely sure. I thought there was at least a chance that some of them were people who didn't speak English as a first language and were doing the best they could with Google translate or something. Sure looks like it's much more obvious now and the problem is way, way worse.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2023 at 1:27 PM, Kal-El814 said:

8srjN9o_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=gra

Imagine paying $44B to be the main character on your favorite platform only to be reminded that you’re just an NPC in the game’s starting town. 

So evidently Mr. Beast gave it a shot...

TECHREPORT.COM

Mr. Beast has earned a sum of $250,000 in the form of ad revenues from the video he posted on X. Here's more about it.

...his recent experiment on X garnered a massive 155 million views, and as you might have guessed (given this star YouTuber’s popularity—all channels combined he boasts 233 million YouTube subscribers), this news created waves across social media platforms.

In a tweet, Mr. Beast hinted at a potential twist in his windfall, stating, “Advertisers saw the attention it was getting and bought ads on my video (I think) and thus my revenue per view is [probably] higher than what you’d experience”.

So best case scenario, he's not making back the millions it costs to make his videos.

32 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Tesla's position in the Chinese market is in serious trouble with the growth of domestic EV manufacturers, and those firms are very much making their presence known outside of the Chinese domestic market as well.

It was a long term mistake for Tesla to expand into China.  They have Elon by the balls, and could simply snatch up all of Tesla's factories and tooling if he gets on the wrong side of Xi.

12 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

It was a long term mistake for Tesla to expand into China.  They have Elon by the balls, and could simply snatch up all of Tesla's factories and tooling if he gets on the wrong side of Xi.

I really don't know what other choice the company had other than to do so.  It's absolutely impossible for an EV company to ignore the Chinese domestic market, so it's damned if you do and damned if you don't.

TSLA is absolutely being hammered today from that earnings call because there was absolutely nothing really positive in the forward outlook at all.  In fact, practically every analyst has described the call as a "train wreck".

• Sicko 1

6 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

TSLA is absolutely being hammered today from that earnings call because there was absolutely nothing really positive in the forward outlook at all.  In fact, practically every analyst has described the call as a "train wreck".

Sure, sure, but was it an electric, steam, or diesel train wreck?! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • True 1

41 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I really don't know what other choice the company had other than to do so.  It's absolutely impossible for an EV company to ignore the Chinese domestic market, so it's damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I agree that they had to go into China. It's too big a market to ignore, and likely the most mature EV market in the world. Their problem is they went into the Chinese market and sold the exact same cars that they sell in the rest of the world. BYD sells something like 10 different models (not trims, models) that undercut the 3 and Y.

In general it seems like Tesla has a real problem with developing and iterating on vehicles. In the US and Europe, where big brands have been so slow to put out competitive EVs that hasn't been a huge problem, but in China it seems like a big liability.

On another topic, this is a pretty bad look for Elon:

ELECTREK.CO

Elon Musk tried to explain his strange ask for more control over Tesla, which seemingly came with a threat to...

I don't know what the legal implications are for running a private company that competes with the public company you're CEO of, but threatening to not develop products at Tesla unless you give him more control seems like a pretty questionable spot. It also seems like a lazy excuse. He's probably going to build all the AI stuff over at xAI no matter what. He has full control over there, and if there are synergistic opportunities, he's leveraged them cross companies many times. Trying to dupe/blackmail TSLA shareholders into giving an increasingly unhinged Musk double his voting power doesn't seem like a great play.

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

On another topic, this is a pretty bad look for Elon:

ELECTREK.CO

Elon Musk tried to explain his strange ask for more control over Tesla, which seemingly came with a threat to...

Honestly, don’t even need the article to say that is a bad look!

9 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

Ruh roh

WWW.BLOOMBERG.COM

Elon Musk’s $55 billion pay package at Tesla Inc. was struck down by a Delaware judge after a shareholder challenged it as excessive, a ruling that would take a giant bite out of Musk’s wealth and put the fate of his companies in question.

He's currently sulking on X about how bad of a place Delaware is to incorporate in.  I didn't have the context.   Now I do!

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

TSLA dropped nearly 5% on this news due the possibility that Elmo might decide to sell a non-insignificant portion of his stock holdings.

See this is why I don't feel prepared to get in to investing. The market thinks this is a bad idea, but my intuition would be that this buffoon having less power in the company would be a great thing. 

• True 1
  • Halal 1

6 hours ago, Nokra said:

See this is why I don't feel prepared to get in to investing. The market thinks this is a bad idea, but my intuition would be that this buffoon having less power in the company would be a great thing. 

It's down to anticipate his shares hitting the market, not because of any impact the decision will have on Tesla's operations. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chris- said:

It's down to anticipate his shares hitting the market, not because of any impact the decision will have on Tesla's operations. 

15 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

TSLA dropped nearly 5% on this news due the possibility that Elmo might decide to sell a non-insignificant portion of his stock holdings.

:dab:

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Chris- said:

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

:dab:

See this is why I don't feel prepared to get into investing; my reading comprehension is dogshit when I'm tired. :p

3 hours ago, Subzwari1987 said:

He blew $44 billion on Twitter and he’s about to lose $55 billion more. Elon’s definitely trying to outdo Trump when it comes to losing money

Maybe the investors would have been comfortable giving him that if he hadn’t proven himself to be a dumbass since the pandemic. Tesla has been coasting and languishing while Elon has been screwing around for the last couple of years. 

I gave up buying stocks when I saw how continually under-valued AMD always is. Either investors are too dumb, or I am, but despite pretty much batting 1,000 with one fantastic generation of products after another, almost without fail the stock falls whenever they announce something new. Just today their stock fell in response to an extremely positive earnings call, particularly around the rapid growth of their AI products, just because the guidance for their other products was down some.

48 minutes ago, Reputator said:

I gave up buying stocks when I saw how continually under-valued AMD always is. Either investors are too dumb, or I am, but despite pretty much batting 1,000 with one fantastic generation of products after another, almost without fail the stock falls whenever they announce something new. Just today their stock fell in response to an extremely positive earnings call, particularly around the rapid growth of their AI products, just because the guidance for their other products was down some.

Stock is up almost 100% over 1 year and 21% in the last month. Not sure how you can complain about such returns for AMD. 

45 minutes ago, Reputator said:

I worked for a publicly traded company for a while. I always listened to the earnings call and investor Q&A. For the last year that I worked there all the facts, figures, earnings, etc were stellar. Massive pay down of debt. Better and better EBITDA. Subscriber retention better and better. More and more new subscribers. Increased dividends. 

The stock price just went down and down. That was just such a clear example to me of how investors aren’t rational. I also stopped buying individual stocks shortly afterwards. 

• Halal 2

1 hour ago, Reputator said:

If it consistently goes back up then just buy stock on their earnings call days. This happens a lot with Apple, where it goes down because the earnings call is that their profits were "only" $10 billion instead of $11 billion.