Pedo guy megalomaniacal manchild officially owns Twitter

Just now, Comet said:

I’m in Texas so Toyota doesn’t build and ship any of the new Prius Primes here so I just ordered one from VA and received it. I remember when I was so excited for the Model 3 some 5 years ago. Blaugh 

Nice, congrats on the new car! Prius Prime and RAV4 Prime were two other options I've been considering. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just feel like Toyota is a good 5-10 years behind on the tech side of things so that's a bit dissuading to me personally, but they're rock solid cars for sure! 

9 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

@Nokra

Thanks, I'll check it out in more detail! I've seen a couple other short YouTube videos about it and my impression is that, while it seems very nice, it may not be worth the cost of the upgrade over the Ioniq 5 to me. I think coming from 78 horsepower on my Prius, the 320 of the Ioniq is already going to feel insane enough without going to the 429 of the GV60 :p , and beyond that it seems like a lot of the extra cost goes towards the interior materials, which I think will also be plenty nice on the Ioniq. Otherwise they actually use the same 800-volt E-GMP architecture, so they have the same 10-80% in 18 minute charge time.

I have to take my Prius into the shop on Monday; it's been having some misfires, so my current debate is how much I'm willing to spend to repair such an old car vs. get a new one. KBB says the car is only worth $1,100 to $2,300, so my threshold is low. :p Then the debate becomes whether to buy or lease. I've never bought a new new car and I've also never leased any car, so I'm a complete n00b with either, but.... with how quickly the tech is changing, I'm wondering if a lease might make more sense.

@Nokra my plan was to lease until Ford came out with 0 percent financing. I'm a big fan of leasing, assuming the miles works for you, but even with tech changing I couldn't pass up 0 percent and all the discounts. I have 3 kids though so in 5 years, or less, it will be nice to have a car with no payment on it since my oldest will be nearing driving age.... 😳

3 hours ago, Nokra said:

Thanks, I'll check it out in more detail! I've seen a couple other short YouTube videos about it and my impression is that, while it seems very nice, it may not be worth the cost of the upgrade over the Ioniq 5 to me. I think coming from 78 horsepower on my Prius, the 320 of the Ioniq is already going to feel insane enough without going to the 429 of the GV60 :p , and beyond that it seems like a lot of the extra cost goes towards the interior materials, which I think will also be plenty nice on the Ioniq. Otherwise they actually use the same 800-volt E-GMP architecture, so they have the same 10-80% in 18 minute charge time.

That’s the top-end one, there’s two cheaper engine/battery options with less horsepower and more range (I think 300 miles?). Yes, they all share the same platform (GV60, Ioniq, EV6), it’s like with Toyota -> Lexus, Honda -> Acura, or VW -> Audi; if you look at a Honda Civic and an Acura Integra, they share the same chassis and many characteristics, but the ride and many features will be different between the two, and of course the inside will typically be nicer on the Acura.

It may or may not be worth the extra money to splurge for the Genesis over the Kia or Hyundai, however, those test drives are free (minus your time :p ), so you may as well take a look at all of them before deciding and see if the added features and better materials make the Genesis worth it.

Obviously do not look at trims/engines-versions that are out of your range or aren’t interested in, as that will just give you heavy fomo. :p So, just know what you want before heading in for the test drives.

3 hours ago, Nokra said:

I have to take my Prius into the shop on Monday; it's been having some misfires, so my current debate is how much I'm willing to spend to repair such an old car vs. get a new one. KBB says the car is only worth $1,100 to $2,300, so my threshold is low. :p Then the debate becomes whether to buy or lease. I've never bought a new new car and I've also never leased any car, so I'm a complete n00b with either, but.... with how quickly the tech is changing, I'm wondering if a lease might make more sense.

Leasing can be nice as you get to swap out to a new car every 36-39 months, and with EVs it may be the better option. Whether it’s worth it or not depends on you (of course), and what kind of incentives they have for leasing vs financing. Best thing to do would be to have the dealership price out both options for you and know roughly how many miles/year you typically drive (for the lease). Also, with a lease, most recommend not putting anything down, I tend to disagree with that, but I will note not to do more than $3-6k; basically every $1k you put down is about $30/month from your payment, and it’s best to at least cover tax + title IMO. 

I also want to note that the used market is still shit. Prices have come down but any used car a dealership purchased during that pricing boom has zero room for negotiation due to what they paid for it and how much they already had to drop the price. We’re still at a point that you can often get a new car for not much more than a 4-5 year old used version after incentives and negotiating.

21 hours ago, Ominous said:

@Nokra my plan was to lease until Ford came out with 0 percent financing. I'm a big fan of leasing, assuming the miles works for you, but even with tech changing I couldn't pass up 0 percent and all the discounts. I have 3 kids though so in 5 years, or less, it will be nice to have a car with no payment on it since my oldest will be nearing driving age.... 😳

Yeah that makes total sense to me; giving the kids a reliable but not brand new car is an excellent idea. :thumbup: 

I'm a little uncertain about the mile limitation on a lease, for me. I believe I've typically been well under the usual 10,000 mi./year limit, though I did e.g. rent a car to go to my parents' house (in southern Idaho, whereas I'm in Portland, OR) specifically because my car is old and lacking some features (e.g. AWD for the snowy mountain pass). If I had my own car I'd drive it instead of a rental, but that would be another 1,000 miles round trip easily; it could get close. Plus I'm sure with a new car, I'd want to take it out and drive it all the time. :daydream:

Anyway Hyundai is also offering 0% APR for 60 months on the 2024 Ioniq 5 through the end of the month (and likely beyond). They're also offering a $7,500 cash option; I'll have to check with a car payment calculator again but I believe it turns out to be practically identical in terms of monthly payment amount, depending on the APR of the loan I'd be able to get, how much of a down payment, etc.

20 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

That’s the top-end one, there’s two cheaper engine/battery options with less horsepower and more range (I think 300 miles?). Yes, they all share the same platform (GV60, Ioniq, EV6), it’s like with Toyota -> Lexus, Honda -> Acura, or VW -> Audi; if you look at a Honda Civic and an Acura Integra, they share the same chassis and many characteristics, but the ride and many features will be different between the two, and of course the inside will typically be nicer on the Acura.

It may or may not be worth the extra money to splurge for the Genesis over the Kia or Hyundai, however, those test drives are free (minus your time :p ), so you may as well take a look at all of them before deciding and see if the added features and better materials make the Genesis worth it.

Obviously do not look at trims/engines-versions that are out of your range or aren’t interested in, as that will just give you heavy fomo. :p So, just know what you want before heading in for the test drives.

Leasing can be nice as you get to swap out to a new car every 36-39 months, and with EVs it may be the better option. Whether it’s worth it or not depends on you (of course), and what kind of incentives they have for leasing vs financing. Best thing to do would be to have the dealership price out both options for you and know roughly how many miles/year you typically drive (for the lease). Also, with a lease, most recommend not putting anything down, I tend to disagree with that, but I will note not to do more than $3-6k; basically every $1k you put down is about $30/month from your payment, and it’s best to at least cover tax + title IMO. 

I also want to note that the used market is still shit. Prices have come down but any used car a dealership purchased during that pricing boom has zero room for negotiation due to what they paid for it and how much they already had to drop the price. We’re still at a point that you can often get a new car for not much more than a 4-5 year old used version after incentives and negotiating.

You're absolutely right that some test drives need to happen soon, but....I used EV Finder to find one and the nearest one is up in Seattle, about 150 miles away. :cry: So that right there might be the clincher for not getting one of those. :/

I appreciate the note on the used car market. I was also considering going used, but was finding pretty much exactly what you're describing: the prices for a used car are not a lot better than for a brand new car, and personally I'd rather have the full warranty, tech improvements, etc.

As far as offers and incentives, Hyundai is offering:

Purchase

1. 0% APR for 60 months, or
  2. a $7,500 cash offer towards the purchase

Lease

1. $489/month for 36 months with $3,503 due at signing for a lease. 

A lease certainly has some appeal; besides the lower monthly cost, it lets me try out an EV for a couple years to see if I like it. And if I do like it, I can of course still buy the vehicle. 

8 hours ago, Nokra said:

Yeah that makes total sense to me; giving the kids a reliable but not brand new car is an excellent idea. :thumbup: 

I'm a little uncertain about the mile limitation on a lease, for me. I believe I've typically been well under the usual 10,000 mi./year limit, though I did e.g. rent a car to go to my parents' house (in southern Idaho, whereas I'm in Portland, OR) specifically because my car is old and lacking some features (e.g. AWD for the snowy mountain pass). If I had my own car I'd drive it instead of a rental, but that would be another 1,000 miles round trip easily; it could get close. Plus I'm sure with a new car, I'd want to take it out and drive it all the time. :daydream:

Anyway Hyundai is also offering 0% APR for 60 months on the 2024 Ioniq 5 through the end of the month (and likely beyond). They're also offering a $7,500 cash option; I'll have to check with a car payment calculator again but I believe it turns out to be practically identical in terms of monthly payment amount, depending on the APR of the loan I'd be able to get, how much of a down payment, etc.

You're absolutely right that some test drives need to happen soon, but....I used EV Finder to find one and the nearest one is up in Seattle, about 150 miles away. :cry: So that right there might be the clincher for not getting one of those. :/

I appreciate the note on the used car market. I was also considering going used, but was finding pretty much exactly what you're describing: the prices for a used car are not a lot better than for a brand new car, and personally I'd rather have the full warranty, tech improvements, etc.

As far as offers and incentives, Hyundai is offering:

Purchase

1. 0% APR for 60 months, or
  2. a $7,500 cash offer towards the purchase

Lease

1. $489/month for 36 months with $3,503 due at signing for a lease. 

A lease certainly has some appeal; besides the lower monthly cost, it lets me try out an EV for a couple years to see if I like it. And if I do like it, I can of course still buy the vehicle. 

OOC, did you try looking for 2023s or only 2024s? I think the 2024s just started arriving at dealerships in the past 4-5 weeks.

EDIT: I don't think there was much in the way of changes for 2024 besides some options being shifted around, but if you wanted to go 2024 but can only find a 2023 and like the 2023, the dealership should be able to transfer a 2024 over from another dealership.

7 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

OOC, did you try looking for 2023s or only 2024s? I think the 2024s just started arriving at dealerships in the past 4-5 weeks.

EDIT: I don't think there was much in the way of changes for 2024 besides some options being shifted around, but if you wanted to go 2024 but can only find a 2023 and like the 2023, the dealership should be able to transfer a 2024 over from another dealership.

I was looking for a 24, yeah, but it looks like the results on EV Finder are actually worse for 23s; nothing within 500 miles. :lol: 

However, they announced last night (right as I was about to go to bed so I ended up staying up away too late reading about it :lol:) that the 2025 Ioniq 5 is going to fix basically every complaint people had about previous generations:

Rear wiper, OTA updates, wireless Android Auto, actual buttons for the seat heaters/ventilated seats, better phone charger placement, USB C instead of USB A...

Plus a slightly more energy dense battery that adds another 20 miles or so of range, all without changing the amazing charging speed and no raise in MSRP. 

Launching in Korea this month ( :o ), hopefully in the US by summer. 

I'm in an odd spot with cars. 2016 WRX with 37000 miles. Completely paid off.

Part of me wants a new car. Possibly an EV but I honestly wonder if I actually reduce my carbon footprint with a gas car since I barely drive it 🤣

When you only drive to work once a week at most and most errands are within 5 miles you really don't rack up that much mileage on a car.

If they came out with a performance plug-in hybrid that would be awesome. Sadly it only exists in the form of supercars from ten years ago or so. I don't think I could afford a McLaren P1 anytime soon 🤔 

As cool as a Plaid would be to drive I really don't want to support Elon Musk. Not to mention Tesla is sort of the Apple of the car industry. Horrible policies and too much control of your car.

47 minutes ago, Link200 said:

When you only drive to work once a week at most and most errands are within 5 miles you really don't rack up that much mileage on a car.

Tell me about it, I’ve got a 2016 bmw x1 with only 19,000km (~11806 miles) on it. :/ I’d be even less if not for 1 long road trip years ago.

14 hours ago, Nokra said:

I was looking for a 24, yeah, but it looks like the results on EV Finder are actually worse for 23s; nothing within 500 miles. :lol: 

However, they announced last night (right as I was about to go to bed so I ended up staying up away too late reading about it :lol:) that the 2025 Ioniq 5 is going to fix basically every complaint people had about previous generations:

Rear wiper, OTA updates, wireless Android Auto, actual buttons for the seat heaters/ventilated seats, better phone charger placement, USB C instead of USB A...

Plus a slightly more energy dense battery that adds another 20 miles or so of range, all without changing the amazing charging speed and no raise in MSRP. 

Launching in Korea this month ( :o ), hopefully in the US by summer. 

You might as well wait a few months for the refresh then! :sun: Hyundai/Kia/Genesis finally adding wireless CarPlay is huge. Their engineers “claimed” the reason they weren’t adding it was because of the input lag when it’s used wirelessly was “below their quality standards”. So, we’ll see if they were full of shit and just didn’t want to pay Apple the extra money for the wireless components, or if they actually reduced the input lag. :p 

6 hours ago, Link200 said:

If they came out with a performance plug-in hybrid that would be awesome. Sadly it only exists in the form of supercars from ten years ago or so. I don't think I could afford a McLaren P1 anytime soon 🤔 

You’re in luck!

Corvette E-Ray: 2.5 second 0-60, AWD, 5 miles pure-electric range in “stealth mode” (engine off), $105-122k (base msrp to highest with all options ticked).

Porsche Cayenne E-Hybrid: 3.5 second 0-60, 30 mile pure-electric range, $92-147k.

Porsche Panamera 4S E-Hybrid: 3.5 second 0-60, 32 mile pure electric range, ~$130k

Polestar 1: (*2020 and 2021 only) 3.8 second 0-60, 52 mile pure electric range, low mileage used ones seem to be “only” $100-105k range (they sold for $150-175k new)

There’s a few others out there, but these are the ones that are probably worth looking at. There’s also the Mercedes CLS53 and E53, but they don’t have an electric-only mode and aren’t plug-ins, plus they’re only “kind of” hybrids as they have an “electric supercharger” that’s just a small battery engine that boosts the gasoline engine rather than a belt driven supercharger or turbos. 

36 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

You might as well wait a few months for the refresh then! :sun: Hyundai/Kia/Genesis finally adding wireless CarPlay is huge. Their engineers “claimed” the reason they weren’t adding it was because of the input lag when it’s used wirelessly was “below their quality standards”. So, we’ll see if they were full of shit and just didn’t want to pay Apple the extra money for the wireless components, or if they actually reduced the input lag. :p 

Yeah the upgrades are all really awesome, I'm even more pumped for the car now. :sun: Especially the OTA updates! With how software-dependent everything is these days, it seems obvious that you should have infrastructure in place to be able to patch it remotely, but apparently not until 2025!

I'd heard rumors too that the 2025 Ioniq 5 may have a NACS port as standard and include a CCS adapter, vs. its current standard CCS port. Nothing I've seen covering yesterday's announcement mentioned it, but the event took place in Korea where, to my understanding, they use yet another connector so that's not surprising I guess. Either way I guess it'll be a while until things switch over fully to NACS.

I'd also heard rumors that wireless Android Auto and Apple Carplay were missing from older models because of licensing costs, but yeah I suppose we'll never get that officially confirmed. :lol:

I took my old Prius into a mechanic today and they told me that it just needed some relatively minor work (ignition coils and spark plugs) that was around $350 to fix, so it's hanging on for a while yet. I'm hoping to get it across the magic threshold of 300,000 miles or, if not that, at least until the 2025 Ioniq 5s releases this summer! :p :sun: 

46 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I'd also heard rumors that wireless Android Auto and Apple Carplay were missing from older models because of licensing costs, but yeah I suppose we'll never get that officially confirmed. :lol:

Yup! That’s the most likely reason vs the “official spin” reason I noted :lol:

Could be worse, could be like BMW that not only charges extra to activate wireless CarPlay, but charges a monthly fee or wireless CarPlay disables :silly:

• True 1

24 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:
ELECTREK.CO

Tesla has started shipping its ‘Basecamp’, a $3,000 tent designed for the back of the Cybertruck. It’s a bit of...

Welp...

Apparently the instruction manual tells you to put the truck into tent mode, but the truck doesn't have a tent mode. :lol:

• Haha 2

On 3/5/2024 at 3:44 AM, Spork3245 said:

Yup! That’s the most likely reason vs the “official spin” reason I noted :lol:

Could be worse, could be like BMW that not only charges extra to activate wireless CarPlay, but charges a monthly fee or wireless CarPlay disables :silly:

Huh? My 2022 Elantra has wireless Android Auto. 

54 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Yes, but not wireless CarPlay :p 

So if I had an iPhone would always have to plug it in to use my phone while driving? 

Android Auto barely works anyway for me. 

12 minutes ago, Brick said:

So if I had an iPhone would always have to plug it in to use my phone while driving? 

Android Auto barely works anyway for me. 

To use CarPlay it would be wired only in your car, yes.

Phone calls and what not connect via Bluetooth wirelessly through the infotainment software but that’s not CarPlay.

It's worth keeping an eye on Tesla stock, which is -34% for the year now and Morgan Stanley just gave it a Sell rating.

WWW.GOOGLE.COM

Get the latest Tesla Inc (TSLA) real-time quote, historical performance, charts, and other financial information to help you make more informed trading and investment decisions.

• Sicko 1

57 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

It's worth keeping an eye on Tesla stock, which is -34% for the year now and Morgan Stanley just gave it a Sell rating.

WWW.GOOGLE.COM

Get the latest Tesla Inc (TSLA) real-time quote, historical performance, charts, and other financial information to help you make more informed trading and investment decisions.

I’ve been shorting the F out of it basically all month. :p 

• Haha 1

WWW.WSJ.COM

As Electric-Vehicle Shoppers Hesitate, Hybrid Sales Surge
Buyers find more to choose from as automakers expand options for those looking beyond gas-powered cars

U.S. sales of hybrids jumped 50% in the first two months of the year. That surge outpaced EV sales, which grew 13%, in both growth and volume. Hybrids flew off dealer lots in 25 days on average, nearly three times faster than EVs and twice as fast as gas-powered cars, according to research site Edmunds.

Randall Snider traded in two gasoline vehicles, a pickup and an SUV, for two Ford Maverick hybrid pickups last year. “My thought process was, ‘What’s the most economical?’” said Snider, a retired Orange County resident. 

He considered an EV but didn’t think the additional cost made sense. “You might go on two vacations for the price difference between a Maverick and a Tesla,” he said.

5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I need not only a tl;dw but a tl;dr

“I don’t have to answer questions from reporters,” Musk responds. “Don, the only reason I’m doing this interview is because you’re on the X platform, and you asked for it. Otherwise, we’re not going to be doing this interview.” Musk adds that he doesn’t “think people should care what the media thinks about them.”

Acting like a baby basically.