~*Official Thread of America's Return to Thoughts & Prayers Normalcy*~

10 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t mean this in the defeatist sense, just in the realist sense, but I don’t think there is any legislative hope for America on guns anytime soon.

Hell, we can't even keep guns we know about out of the hands of people up on domestic violence charges with a court order telling them to stay away from guns. What? You want to just store these at your dad's house a quarter of a mile away? Yeah, that's fine.

As morbid as this sounds but if you wanna remove guns from the population you need wholesale unfettered gun violence committed against the entire political spectrum of those in charge. The people making the decisions are so disconnected from the reality the rest of us live in, all of this may as well be a reality show they watch and giggle at. Nothing will change for them until they are staring at the wrong end of the barrel and even then there will be politicians burying family members asking "where was the good guy with a gun?".

• True 1
  • Halal 1

14 minutes ago, Jason said:
6421e0ea55bd920018e1f376?width=1200&form
WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

Dozens of Twitter users responded to Rep. Andy Ogles' statement on the school shooting by reposting his photo with his family, posing with guns.

There's no reforming people like this. They are lunatic psychopaths. They dream of the day they can sacrifice their family and die in a hail of bullets fired by the FBI. David Koresh is their idol (in more ways than one).

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

We need politicians to get the fortitude to explicitly oppose guns, the support a repeal of the second amendment. We simply aren’t there yet, but when you start seeing that on the Sunday news shows, we will actually be in a position where really meaningful change can happen.

Dnc Debates 2019 Beto Orourke GIF by GIPHY News

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SimpleG said:

As morbid as this sounds but if you wanna remove guns from the population you need wholesale unfettered gun violence committed against the entire political spectrum of those in charge. The people making the decisions are so disconnected from the reality the rest of us live in, all of this may as well be a reality show they watch and giggle at. Nothing will change for them until they are staring at the wrong end of the barrel and even then there will be politicians burying family members asking "where was the good guy with a gun?".

That already happened and no one cared.

• True 3

2 hours ago, CastletonSnob said:

You mean like Australia's gun buyback program?

It's certainly a start, I just think the pro-gun side of this debate is too in love with guns and their identities too entrenched and entwined with guns themselves that such policies will be hard to pass and even harder to implement.

3 hours ago, SimpleG said:

2 hours ago, MarSolo said:

That already happened and no one cared.

Yeah didn't some congressman get shot at a baseball game and then he said "well since the cops had guns it was good guns are around" (or something like that)

To take what SimpleG said a step further we just need a full Mars Attack-like wipe of politicians. :p

Great, already seeing idiots complaining about the news "misgendering" the killer. Who gives a fuck at this point when it was a senseless act of violent aggression by someone clearly suffering from severe mental health issues who happens to be a female that "identifies" ... no no no no no NO NO NO NO! A piece of shit purposefully & intentionally set out to murder a child whereby multiple others, including 3 children, were left on the floor in a puddle of their own remains.

There are multiple facets to this whole story, granted, yet "misgendering" is the least of worries that need be concerned.

ARBD55VWANFUPFFFNBU2MGDRSM.jpg&w=1200
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

The Washington Post examined autopsy and postmortem reports from nearly a hundred victims of past mass shootings that involved an AR-15 style rifle.

This is a really good article showing the devastation these AR style rifles cause to the human body. It’s brutal to read, but they spoke with the victims families and obtained consent prior to publishing this. 

People need to know the extent to the gruesome injuries these guns cause. We’re so distanced from the actual brutality. This is the closest you can get without actually seeing the autopsy photos. 

Just fucking brutal. No one needs these kinds of weapons. My parents own a couple and I shot them with my dad the other day. Sure it’s fun shooting cans, but then I thought about those same kinds of bullets tearing through children and I felt sick. The difference between the AR and a handgun is astounding. 

Oh, and the end of that article? Chills. 

34 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

Great, already seeing idiots complaining about the news "misgendering" the killer. Who gives a fuck at this point when it was a senseless act of violent aggression by someone clearly suffering from severe mental health issues who happens to be a female that "identifies" ... no no no no no NO NO NO NO! A piece of shit purposefully & intentionally set out to murder a child whereby multiple others, including 3 children, were left on the floor in a puddle of their own remains.

There are multiple facets to this whole story, granted, yet "misgendering" is the least of worries that need be concerned.

So if the killer was Latino, it would be ok for the news to call them a racial epithet? No, right? Same logic here.

• True 2

It seems unclear as to whether the person was out regarding their identity, given that one of Hale’s former teammates and friends who Hale was messaging right before the attack said that she only knew Hale as a woman. 

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

It seems unclear as to whether the person was out regarding their identity, given that one of Hale’s former teammates and friends who Hale was messaging right before the attack said that she only knew Hale as a woman. 

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

If this is remotely true it’s wildly irresponsible of the cops (shocker!) to identify the shooter as trans, but it’s too late now this “fact” is seared into the right wing media ecosystem 

6 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

If this is remotely true it’s wildly irresponsible of the cops (shocker!) to identify the shooter as trans, but it’s too late now this “fact” is seared into the right wing media ecosystem 

Lemon was interviewing the teammate on CNN yesterday, and she gave them access to the Instagram DMs from the shooter. So at least some people in the shooter’s life, people they reached out to prior to the attack, didn’t know the shooter as anything but a woman. That doesn’t preclude it being true that the shooter was trans, but I can understand why the media is having a difficult time with this.

I assume the police were making the claim about trans identity because of the “manifesto” the shooter reportedly left.

They/them it for everyone *shrug*

4 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:
ARBD55VWANFUPFFFNBU2MGDRSM.jpg&w=1200
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

The Washington Post examined autopsy and postmortem reports from nearly a hundred victims of past mass shootings that involved an AR-15 style rifle.

This is a really good article showing the devastation these AR style rifles cause to the human body. It’s brutal to read, but they spoke with the victims families and obtained consent prior to publishing this. 

People need to know the extent to the gruesome injuries these guns cause. We’re so distanced from the actual brutality. This is the closest you can get without actually seeing the autopsy photos. 

Just fucking brutal. No one needs these kinds of weapons. My parents own a couple and I shot them with my dad the other day. Sure it’s fun shooting cans, but then I thought about those same kinds of bullets tearing through children and I felt sick. The difference between the AR and a handgun is astounding. 

Oh, and the end of that article? Chills. 

I was thinking along these lines last night. I can give you an example I think is slightly related. As a teen/early/mid 20’s I had no problem driving fast. Never recklessly weaving in an out of cars or anything crazy. But at some point I ended up finding LiveLeak online (I know I know) and watched some fucked up stuff. Car crashes totally uncensored and what the force of a wreck will do to the human body.  You can be the strongest person but you are not invincible. Your body can be destroyed in seconds.  My driving habits changed for sure. I’m much more aware of others now after seeing countless dash cams where shit goes sideways real quick.  I would go as far to say graphic situations like that should be shown in driving class in schools.  Too many people have no idea and we shouldn’t shield them from the truth.

I don’t know if something similar could work for guns.  Exposure.  I just know too many people think of guns as this all powerful thing in their hands, but have no idea of the consequences that can come along with it.

19 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Don't most transgendered people

Transgender people. For the record 'Transgendered' is demeaning language. It has the same connotation as calling people 'Blacks' and also implies that it's something they became rather than something they are.

That said, I don't have the energy to further talk on the issue of this shooting and it's best anyway to let a trans person talk on the subject anyway, so I stole a Facebook post instead that I think says enough:

spacer.png

• Halal 2

17 hours ago, CastletonSnob said:

You mean like Australia's gun buyback program?

No, because theres no way to make Americans sell their guns. Buyback is a nice word for confiscation, and theres no government right now who wants to test that powder keg. 

The answer probably is to harden schools, because Americans, or at least over half, will never agree to disarmament. Every time there’s even the slightest hint of regulation, sales skyrocket. Im not saying that’s a great option, just that it’s probably the only one in this political climate.

• Guillotine 1

1 hour ago, DarkStar189 said:

at some point I ended up finding LiveLeak online (I know I know) and watched some fucked up stuff. Car crashes totally uncensored and what the force of a wreck will do to the human body. 

A guy I worked with would just casually watch Liveleak all the time.

I would go as far to say graphic situations like that should be shown in driving class in schools.  Too many people have no idea and we shouldn’t shield them from the truth.

Don't they show Red Asphalt or something like that?

I was thinking along these lines last night. I can give you an example I think is slightly related. As a teen/early/mid 20’s I had no problem driving fast. Never recklessly weaving in an out of cars or anything crazy. But at some point I ended up finding LiveLeak online (I know I know) and watched some fucked up stuff. Car crashes totally uncensored and what the force of a wreck will do to the human body.  You can be the strongest person but you are not invincible. Your body can be destroyed in seconds.  My driving habits changed for sure. I’m much more aware of others now after seeing countless dash cams where shit goes sideways real quick.  I would go as far to say graphic situations like that should be shown in driving class in schools.  Too many people have no idea and we shouldn’t shield them from the truth.

I don’t know if something similar could work for guns.  Exposure.  I just know too many people think of guns as this all powerful thing in their hands, but have no idea of the consequences that can come along with it.

I've said this same thing multiple times in this very thread. Media coverage of mass shootings in this country is too sanitized. People don't feel the correct level of outrage because it's all theoretical to them. If we're going to live in this hell, then everyone should be forced to wade through viscera.

• True 1

27 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

A guy I worked with would just casually watch Liveleak all the time.

Don't they show Red Asphalt or something like that?

I had a driving class back in 2001, and even though I had heard of Red Asphalt, I know we didn’t watch it or anything similar.

43 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I've said this same thing multiple times in this very thread. Media coverage of mass shootings in this country is too sanitized. People don't feel the correct level of outrage because it's all theoretical to them. If we're going to live in this hell, then everyone should be forced to wade through viscera.

I want to blame this on the Vietnam War. My understanding is the anti-war movement grew in part to the news airing basically uncensored combat footage. It's why even the modern day embedded coverage is pretty sanitary. 

We don't see a problem with this stuff because we don't see it. There's an "other"ness to these stories. Basically as a society we lack empathy until you directly let us see the war in the streets in this case.

I am directly alive technically due to not having easy access to a gun tbh.

Edit: Yes I'm saying out current media is designed to support the status quo.

• True 1
  • Halal 2

14 minutes ago, Ominous said:

Apparently the right is calling this a hate crime, and coincidentally this is the first time they have cared about hate crimes.

I had to deal with a phone call this morning with a guy ranting about how we should ban trans people now that they've proven to be a violent mentally ill cult. It was great for my mental well being 🙃.

• Hugs 2

I fucking HATE how after every one of these shootings, everyone scrambles to assign a narrative and a "side" to blame.

It was your guy, it was our guy. Fuck you. It's no one's guy.

It's a fucking joke.

Go look at the photos of these dead 9 year olds and SHUT THE FUCK UP. SHUT YOU R FUCKING SHITY MOUTHS.

• Halal 2

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This makes the Uvalde response even MORE shameful... I still can't come up with a reason why those cops reacted the way they did. In fucking TEXAS of all places.

It truly is incomprehensible