~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

5 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That's exactly where I'm at now.  Let the chips fall where they may.   

In fact, I'm considering putting this thread out of its misery in early 2022 because it has largely served its purpose at this point.

The world has moved on and perhaps so should we.

My family said fuck it, we are vaccinated with boosters and we gonna spend Christmas together. We are gonna travel after the first of the year. We have waited for the rest of this country to fall in line but that isnt gonna happen.

With that said you are the Overlord but leaving this thread alone harms no one 

1 hour ago, Air_Delivery said:

He said responsible. Unlike the orange fat man Biden is actually trying to save lives. 

Trump with his lying killed more people than anyone in American history.  

Exactly. Trump did everything he could to undermine efforts to mitigate the spread of virus. He didn't even tell his followers he was vaccinated because he didn't think they would like it. Comparing what Biden has done to Trump regarding the pandemic is being deliberately dishonest.

Fauci was quoted as saying we don’t need a new formula for mRNA vaccines since a booster is still effective. Is this messaging to not discourage boosting or is he being sincere? 

One dose was 80% effective in preventing  symptomatic infection against some of the original variants. Now it’s almost useless and we need 3 to get to the 60-70% range. If they updated the formula for Omicron, would it increase the effectiveness of one dose to 80% against symptomatic infection? I don’t know enough about it to make a conclusion, but it seems like it’s time to update the formula. What am I missing?

7 hours ago, Air_Delivery said:

He said responsible. Unlike the orange fat man Biden is actually trying to save lives. 

Trump with his lying killed more people than anyone in American history.  

Yeah I get that, I just don't get the person quoting the Tweet laughing, and if they're laughing because there have been that many or more deaths since Biden took office, as a, "haha there have been that many deaths since you became president, so now you by your own words shouldn't be president. Suck it, libtards. Let's go, Brandon!", or some such bullshit. Obviously the difference between how Trump handled things and how Biden is handling things is worlds apart. 

8 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

Fauci was quoted as saying we don’t need a new formula for mRNA vaccines since a booster is still effective. Is this messaging to not discourage boosting or is he being sincere? 

One dose was 80% effective in preventing  symptomatic infection against some of the original variants. Now it’s almost useless and we need 3 to get to the 60-70% range. If they updated the formula for Omicron, would it increase the effectiveness of one dose to 80% against symptomatic infection? I don’t know enough about it to make a conclusion, but it seems like it’s time to update the formula. What am I missing?

I don't think it's as simple as updating a formula. I could be wrong though. I think it's just layout creating a more robust immune response. Your body is really creating the immunity and doing all of the work. The vaccines just trigger that. That's my understanding at least 

6 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I don't think it's as simple as updating a formula. I could be wrong though. I think it's just layout creating a more robust immune response. Your body is really creating the immunity and doing all of the work. The vaccines just trigger that. That's my understanding at least 

But my understanding is the spike protein, which mRNA vaccines use to trigger the immune system, has mutated in Omicron significantly which seems to coincide with the reduced efficacy of the vaccine. If we updated the mRNA vaccine to target the mutations in the spike protein of omicron, why wouldn’t efficacy go up?

I think when he says not necessary, he really means that there's not enough of a benefit to have the vaccine companies shift manufacturing to a new variant-specific one. I remember reading somebody saying that even though it's technically true that a new vaccine could be approved and rolled out within 100 days, making the switch in that time would cause a huge disruption of the vaccines being produced in the meantime that are still going out all over the world.

So, some of the family on my mom's side currently has COVID, and, as predicted my brother appears to be dropping out of family gatherings (like I said, his wife is 7-months pregnant, so I certainly don't blame him). Not sure what my plans are. I'd rather not go, but mostly because I just don't care for the holidays in general.

9 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Man folks here in Ohio are over masks and everything even in my little college town

Some some mom bring her little kid to the store the other week neither wearing a mask. At this point it's like a badge of honor to around half the population to not give a fuck. 

1 hour ago, Massdriver said:

But my understanding is the spike protein, which mRNA vaccines use to trigger the immune system, has mutated in Omicron significantly which seems to coincide with the reduced efficacy of the vaccine. If we updated the mRNA vaccine to target the mutations in the spike protein of omicron, why wouldn’t efficacy go up?

There is certainly reason to believe a new formulation could improve the antibodies that the vaccines help generate to be more effective at preventing infections due to the mutations in Omicron. The vaccines (and prior infection) continue to provoke B/T memory cell response from your immune system that dramatically decrease the effects of infection from Omicron.

17 minutes ago, Ominous said:

Some some mom bring her little kid to the store the other week neither wearing a mask. At this point it's like a badge of honor to around half the population to not give a fuck. 

If by “at this point” you mean since summer of 2020, yes 😂

3 hours ago, Ominous said:

A friend of mine just told me last night that she doesn't bother to wear a mask when she's not required. She's also not vaxxed and refuses to do so. When I asked her why she gave me some bullshit that sounded straight out of South Park :|

It's not an original thought of mine, I realize, but:

People are so sick of having their lives disrupted that they're pretending the pandemic is over, but it's this very indifference to the consequences of our actions that is prolonging our suffering. :tired:

• True 1