~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

18 minutes ago, chakoo said:

We are so getting a lockdown on the 26th in Ontario (Ford will pull the same BS from last year and not shutdown before Christmas).

I think we should but we are getting closer to an election for Mr. Ford, and will probably just say be safe and maybe add more capacity limits. He hasn’t taken them away from restaurants yet, and then you see the story out of Quebec there. He’s gonna have to be tough and limit them as well, and soon

7 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Page 787 of 788

Do what I do and print out the entire thread and place it in a binder. Great bedtime reading.

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Parlez-vous français?

Non. Like all kids in Canada I took French in school from K-8 (and then also 9 and 10, optionally), but I remember functionally very little.

• True 1

WWW.BLOOMBERG.COM

A previous Covid-19 recovery provides little shield against infection with the omicron variant, a research team from Imperial College London showed in a large study that underlines the importance of booster shots.

Having had Covid probably only offers 19% protection against omicron, the study showed on Friday. That was roughly in line with two doses of vaccine, which the team estimated were as much as 20% effective against omicron. Adding a booster dose helped dramatically, blocking an estimated 55% to 80% of symptomatic cases.

The Imperial College London team analyzed all the PCR test-confirmed Covid cases in England between Nov. 29 and Dec. 11, making it one of the most expansive examinations yet at omicron's potential to evade the body's defenses. The results were in line with the picture emerging of the variant's capacity to elude protection from previous infection or inoculation and spread faster than previous iterations of the virus.

There was no evidence of omicron cases being less severe than delta, based on the proportion of people testing positive who had symptoms or went to the hospital, the team said.

Just how severe omicron cases will be remains unclear. It's too soon to say how hospitalizations will play out in the U.K. In South Africa, which announced the discovery of the variant on Nov. 25, authorities said on Friday the rate of hospitalizations seems to be lower than during the country's earlier wave of delta infections.

However, prior infection and vaccination still appear to ward off severe illness, judging from SA's stats:

say0kxg.jpg

Blue - cases

Green - hospitalizations

Brown - Deaths

47 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I think we should but we are getting closer to an election for Mr. Ford, and will probably just say be safe and maybe add more capacity limits. He hasn’t taken them away from restaurants yet, and then you see the story out of Quebec there. He’s gonna have to be tough and limit them as well, and soon

He'll get forced into it. He didn't want to do the previous lockdowns but constant bad press and Dr in the news 24/7 forced him. It will most likely repeat itself all over again.

10 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Merry Christmas everyone!

In all seriousness, I'm expecting a text from my brother any day now that he's skipping Christmas this year. Wouldn't blame him as his wife is some 7 months pregnant, but I'm going to guess my mom is going to get pretty upset.

5 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Some Canadian health officials are starting to label Omicron as airborne...which, yeah, has been obvious for a while. We can argue about where the line is between droplets that sink and droplets that remain in the air, but clearly COVID has the ability to spread over large distances, especially indoors where the air is moved around.

boating-club-restaurant-laval.JPG
ICI.RADIO-CANADA.CA

Le virus a infecté 31 des 32 participants à un party de bureau. Tous ont développé des symptômes bénins.

Translated from French

Were they all vaxxed?

omicron-street-scenes.jpg
WWW.CBC.CA

Ontario is rolling out a suite of new restrictions for businesses and social gatherings as the province contends with a spike in COVID-19 cases linked to the Omicron variant.

Indoor social gatherings reduced to 10. 

9 minutes ago, Joe said:

I should stop reading this thread. Making me reconsider Christmas Eve.

I would back out of things at this point but the interpersonal/social dynamics at play simply would not allow it. Though that isn’t because I’m scared of getting COVID (I feel safe after three shots), it’s because I don’t want to contribute to anyone else getting sick. 

• True 2

4b2dfd73-cdb5-4c6e-9aef-9a60399b35de-GTY
WWW.USATODAY.COM

The airline said Gary Kelly is vaccinated and had a booster shot. Kelly drew criticism at the meeting for dismissing the impact of mask wearing on planes.

He is technically correct in that masks are pointless on airplanes since most people take them off to eat, etc. But the masks aren't the issue in that case, it's the mask policy being ineffective.

25 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:
4b2dfd73-cdb5-4c6e-9aef-9a60399b35de-GTY
WWW.USATODAY.COM

The airline said Gary Kelly is vaccinated and had a booster shot. Kelly drew criticism at the meeting for dismissing the impact of mask wearing on planes.

He is technically correct in that masks are pointless on airplanes since most people take them off to eat, etc. But the masks aren't the issue in that case, it's the mask policy being ineffective.

I flew for thanksgiving and I didn't see a maskless face my whole flight. People literally moved their masks down to eat and drink, but kept them on virtually the whole flight.

1 hour ago, Air_Delivery said:

I'm buying my friends and family n95 masks while they are still avaliable on Amazon. 

Amazon is the absolute last place I'd buy N95s, considering the rampant counterfeiting issues on Amazon. Buy these from this site instead:

BlackandWhiteMasks_600x600_crop_center.p
WWW.EVERYDAYEMALL.COM

Made by LG Household &Health Care, approved by the South Korea Ministry of Food and Drug Safety (MFDS) Made with a soft Nylon elastic for a very comfortable fit around the ears Made...

It drives me crazy whenever Republicans try to dunk on Biden for not solving COVID.

I mean, what the fucking fuck? At least he's trying to do something. At least he's taking it seriously. All they do is cross their arms, stomp their feet and thumb their noses at literally everything like big dumb diaper babies who made a big poopie in their big dumb diaper baby diapers.

Fuck them all. I'm so sick of anti-vaxxers and COVID down players. I fucking hate them. HATE. Selfish assholes, every fucking one. Selfish garbage people peddling garbage and death.

Over 800,000 Americans are dead and I bet at least 1/3 of that is directly the fault of the Republican Party.

• True 1

Just now, SuperSpreader said:

At this point the people who aren't getting vaccines and not wearing masks aren't gonna be convinced with a free test. 

Okay but omicron has a high escape rate so it'd still help a lot for responsible people to be able to easily test. 

Looking around the world, it doesn’t seem like there is much that can be done with a population unwilling to participate in the group behaviors needed to keep outbreaks manageable. Asking people to keep this stuff up for years is a losing proposition.

Even most who have been on board for the last two years are going to start cracking as it becomes more and more apparent that the odds are you’ll be fine if you keep up with your vaccination, which means it is (largely) up to individuals how they want the rest of the Covid era to go for them.