~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

I feel like I’m bombarded with Omicron information daily. Maybe it just looks that way and I seek it out, I dunno.

Yeah - I'm not sensing a lack of Omicron information on my end either, at least from the news sources I regularly consume.

It doesn't need to be the "leading story" in the mainstream press for its relevance to be present.

And in all honesty, Omicron itself is less of a daily issue for the average person than the direct impacts being felt in our Covid era on consumers. Even once the infection wave really hits in the next 3-4 weeks.

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

And in all honesty, Omicron itself is less of a daily issue for the average person than the direct impacts being felt in our Covid era on consumers. Even once the infection wave really hits in the next 3-4 weeks.

In Canada it's not 3-4 weeks. it's blowing up now, it is projected to be the dominate strain by the weekend.

21 minutes ago, chakoo said:

In Canada it's not 3-4 weeks. it's blowing up now, it is projected to be the dominate strain by the weekend.

They think it makes up at least +50% now of the Covid infections in Ontario. They said it exploding rapidly is an understatement, it’s turning into a wrecking ball. They said if measures/precautions aren’t taken. Ontario could see close to 10k cases a day because of Omicron by New Years Eve. 

Now, they have said the 10k infections before and never did but I can see where we could easily reach +4K cases a day again by Xmas or shortly afterwards. If it gets real bad I could see lockdown measures happening again. My sister has been told that they think once the Xmas 2 week vacation is done for kids. Students will be online for the first 2-3 weeks of learning (or longer) if Omicron keeps up with this relentless pace of infections. I can register for my booster as of Jan 4th and hopefully get it shortly afterwards  

12 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

CNN-vs-cbc.png

The contrast is stark.

The Quebec government has directed companies to have everyone to work at home, if possible.  My company just announced you need written authorization to come to the office.

CNN isn’t real news

fiscal-update-20211214.JPG
WWW.CBC.CA

Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos is asking Canadians with plans to travel abroad to cancel their trips as the highly transmissible Omicron variant spreads worldwide.

"To those who were planning to travel, I say very clearly — now is not the time to travel. The rapid spread of the Omicron variant on a global scale makes us fear the worst," Duclos said.

Duclos said he's "afraid" and "concerned" for people who travel abroad because the Omicron situation is changing quickly — the rate of spread is "huge," he said — and Canadians may be stranded if countries impose lockdown measures or curb flights in and out.

"The situation abroad is already dire in many places and it's going to get worse very quickly, so we're afraid for what could happen to them if they leave Canada," Duclos said.

"Canadians who are thinking of travelling abroad need to be warned that the situation abroad is both risky and unstable. They should also know that returning to Canada will likely involve delays and hassle," Duclos said Friday.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Can the Canadian government ban non-essential foreign travel by citizens?

No.  However, they could shut down flights from certain countries, stranding people there.  They could also expand the use of quarantine hotels (funded, at great expense, by the traveler).

Edit:  They cannot prevent citizens from returning to Canada.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2021%2F1215%2Fr951596_1
WWW.ESPN.CO.UK

The Premier League's COVID-19 crisis continues as Burnley's match against Watford on Wednesday has been the latest fixture to be postponed.

The news comes after Tottenham's clash against Brighton and Manchester United's game at Brentford were called off due to COVID-19 outbreaks over the last couple of days.

Tottenham had their Europa game cancelled last week after they couldn't field a team.  

10 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Can the Canadian government ban non-essential foreign travel by citizens?

As Absolut said, they can't forbid Canadians from returning home, but they can place large financial costs onto them. The most likely are:

• Cost of PCR tests prior to arriving in Canada, as well as once they arrive
  • Forced stay in quarantine hotels, at the cost of the travellers

The government can of course prevent non-Canadians from entering the country.

41 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

So I wonder how long protection against Omicron lasts after the booster.  Because you have that spike in antibodies when you get a vaccine that has some drop off after a few months.

For infection, not long. For severe disease? Seems even 2 doses makes a substantial difference there. Unless we get a new mRNA formula to market soon, best to begin thinking about a COVID infection as an eventuality that is controlled well with vaccination.

I wish scientists would keep their fucking mouths shut about the severity of Omicron until we know for sure what it is. I've hard to argue with mutilple friends that have taken what has been said as "its just the cold now".

I swear for as smart as they are they sure are naive and have learned nothing about the general populous in these two years.

10 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

I wish scientists would keep their fucking mouths shut about the severity of Omicron until we know for sure what it is. I've hard to argue with mutilple friends that have taken what has been said as "its just the cold now".

I swear for as smart as they are they sure are naive and have learned nothing about the general populous in these two years.

This has been a point of frustration throughout the entire pandemic.  On paper it sounds great for the public to be able to listen in on the scientific process, but in reality, most people take the first thing they've read as the bible and refuse to accept new information as the data evolves.  Information to the public should not be released until it's solidified and agreed upon, as all this confusion does is allow more to disregard the importance of vaccines.  We've basically been doomed since calling covid an old people disease in the beginning.

3 minutes ago, vaxick said:

This has been a point of frustration throughout the entire pandemic.  On paper it sounds great for the public to be able to listen in on the scientific process, but in reality, most people take the first thing they've read as the bible and refuse to accept new information as the data evolves.  Information to the public should not be released until it's solidified and agreed upon, as all this confusion does is allow more to disregard the importance of vaccines.  We've basically been doomed since calling covid an old people disease in the beginning.

Its say its more like if there is conflicting information or any kind of nuiance, subtly or uncertainty people naturally gravitate to the answer they like best.  

I agree that people once they have something in their mind its very hard for them to deviate from that. 

I've experienced this in the US too tbf. Last year they made me replace my surgical mask with their own smaller one that didn't fit as well. Earlier this year they at least just let me replace the surgical on top of my KF94 instead of making me ditch the KF94 too. Both times at medical facilities m

image.jpg
TORONTO.CTVNEWS.CA

Ontario is expanding eligibility for COVID-19 booster shots to anyone 18 and older starting Monday and is limiting capacity in some indoor spaces as cases of the Omicron...

Ontario shortening wait between shots/boosters to three months.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:
image.jpg
TORONTO.CTVNEWS.CA

Ontario is expanding eligibility for COVID-19 booster shots to anyone 18 and older starting Monday and is limiting capacity in some indoor spaces as cases of the Omicron...

Ontario shortening wait between shots/boosters to three months.

:pratt:

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

For infection, not long. For severe disease? Seems even 2 doses makes a substantial difference there. Unless we get a new mRNA formula to market soon, best to begin thinking about a COVID infection as an eventuality that is controlled well with vaccination.

I mean here in like a few months after everyone who is going to get a booster has had one for a few months and antibody levels have decreased is the effectiveness going to be low?  Like I feel like we need to get going on improving the vaccine.