~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

55 minutes ago, Brick said:

We're definitely going to have another lockdown. 

I was just saying that to my mom this afternoon. These numbers are growing WAY too fast and gotta try and clamp down somehow. 

I also wonder how pissed off these Spider-Man: No Way Home advanced ticket buyers will be if they get cut for capacity reasons. 

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Daughter tested positive for COVID overnight.  She had a fever for about 24 hours starting Sunday evening, runny nose, really minimal cough.  She now is showing no symptoms.

This sucks, looks like we are self-isolating for Xmas.

If that’s the worst that happens that’s great. Hope everyone else is ok. 

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

I'm really sorry to hear that. :( 

49 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

If that’s the worst that happens that’s great. Hope everyone else is ok. 

Everyone is fine.  Spent a few hours this morning contacting school, close contacts of kids, grand-parents, etc.

We normally don't see many people, but it was my mother's birthday this week.  Saw her briefly Saturday.

Fortunately, everyone (except my daughter) is fully vaccinated, so I'm not expected much in the way of problems.

• Like 2

• AbsolutSurgen changed the title to ~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime
1 minute ago, Jason said:

Summertime in South Africa doe. 

How much does seasonality make a difference with this thing? Didn't Delta hit in the late summer and early fall and that seemed to kick the ass of the unvaccinated.

My wife is 24 weeks pregnant (she got both shots while pregnant) and we've decided to pretty much shut it down until this Omicron thing peters out. We've been trying for like 6 years and there are too many pre-term birth horror stories and worse in pregnant women to risk it.  

1 hour ago, Chollowa said:

How much does seasonality make a difference with this thing? Didn't Delta hit in the late summer and early fall and that seemed to kick the ass of the unvaccinated.

My wife is 24 weeks pregnant (she got both shots while pregnant) and we've decided to pretty much shut it down until this Omicron thing peters out. We've been trying for like 6 years and there are too many pre-term birth horror stories and worse in pregnant women to risk it.  

Hoping for safe pregnancy! Not too many things scarier than health concerns for your pregnant wife and unborn child ❤️

I haven't been posting about it, but COVID finally hit our family... one (vaccinated) guy with "a cold" came into my wife's office and managed to start a chain reaction that infected 9 people. (6 vaccinated, 2 unvaxxed, 1 unknown. Zero boosted that we know about.)

Anyway, by some miracle of humanity, it didn't infect me or our two kids. I was vaccinated in March and am still not boosted. My 12 year old was vaccinated two months ago and my 8 year old is still unvaccinated. None of us got sick, even though we co-existed in a house with my wife who was sick for like 2 days before we tested her.

Here's my big takeaway... if you are vaccinated and get COVID, the symptoms can feel very minor. They can feel like almost nothing at first. She never for a second thought she had COVID... but on Sunday, she was texting with some co-workers who were all also sick and had much worse symptoms... so decided to take a crappy home test from Walgreens and that mofo turned pink (positive) like 2 seconds after I put her snot sample in there.

These tests are only like 85% accurate... and only work if you are actively sick and have symptoms. They're good for checking if the cold you currently have is COVID or not, but will almost never pop a positive if you are infected but pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic. But if you do get a positive result, it's probably correct.

Anyway, I slept in a bed with her for like 3 days, spent tons of time around her indoors, driving in a closed window car for at least an hour... etc... it really is amazing that I didn't get sick.

We've been in quarantine for two weeks now, with her being confined to the bedroom. Even without everyone getting sick, this shit really fucks up your life. It's been a hot mess. We had to cancel my youngest outdoor birthday party. He had to stay home from school for two weeks. (my oldest stayed home for a week).

My wife is doing well. She was very achy and tired and lots of headaches, but for COVID, she got off pretty well. She's mostly better now, but still has headaches. We're still staying apart, even though it's been more than 10 days.

Our entire month of December was basically ruined by one guy who came into work with a cold... so yeah. Good times.

• Like 6

Oh yeah, and they don't fuck around anymore. They offer monoclonal antibodies to everyone... even if you aren't that sick.

Also, I've been advised not to get my booster for another month, just in case I had a minor case. I was scheduled to get my booster tomorrow...

That's my other takeaway, GO GET YOUR DAMN BOOSTERS!

I kept putting mine off because it's actually kind of a pain in the ass to schedule one. You can't get good time slots anywhere. everything was always weeks out, so I would hunt around, not find one I like and then just say screw it, I'll check again in a few days or find some other source...

But don't be like me, just schedule the damn thing. If you think getting a booster is inconvienet, you should try having someone in your house have COVID. I guarantee it's way way more inconvenient.

2 hours ago, Chollowa said:

As someone who has many horror stories of his own (took 5 tries to finally have a healthy successful baby girl who is 2 months old now), it's best to not ***k around because it will eat you up inside. I hope you two are able to have a successful pregnancy!! :hug: A life of a hermit will be worth it in the end!

• Like 1