~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Blake Snell is a great example. Dude is a stud and has won the CY YOUNG award. As a result of baseball's disgusting salary structure, his net worth is less than $7 million at the moment, but he has future earnings potential in the several hundred millions of dollars range. You expect this kid to go out on the field and risk his life for less than $2 million? You would have to be insane.

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Playing baseball at the major league level is not low skill ffs

No, I'm referring to employment after they leave the game. 

Of course these are skilled players.  Even the worst MLB players is a hundred times better at the sport than I ever was.  

I always love it when capital’s responsibility is conveniently ignored. ‘There are no fans buying tickets, what do you want the owners to do, pay players out of their own pocket?’ Yes, that’s exactly what I want them to do. When you own something you should bear the brunt when things go wrong, not your less powerful subjects. 

18 minutes ago, Jose said:

I don't get how that's relevant? How many billionaires became massively rich off one lucky idea that took off and they sold it for billions? Even if Mike Trout somehow only does have one marketable skill, he has to do it year after year to get paid the kind of money he's paid. Should the public no longer be interested in his performance, so be it, but why belittle it?

I don’t mean to belittle it, per se, so bad writing on my part. I just think the importance of sports is generally overstated to an incredible degree. There are absolutely meaningful athletic achievements and moments, but the institution of “professional sports” is something I find tiresome. More people watch a given episode of NCIS than they did the 2018 World Series, but I don’t have to hear about Mark Harmon’s salary negotiations, there isn’t an entire broadcast industry dedicated to talking about it on public airwaves, etc.

Again, I don’t mean this to demean or shit on pro sports or athletes. I like sports, I like talking about and watching sports. It’s just too fucking much sometimes, and shit like salary negotiations or draft discussions are just so... boring...

I should let people enjoy things... I know. :p

23 minutes ago, Jason said:

What could be more fun than five minutes of commercials, coming back to watch everyone dogpile the quarterback, and then promptly cutting back to another five minutes of commercials? 

I love watching pro football (assuming the Jets qualify) but it is easily the worst sport to watch. Pro football more than any other sport exemplifies the notion that the game is a television show. It’s Survivor played out in stadiums.

28 minutes ago, Jason said:

What could be more fun than five minutes of commercials, coming back to watch everyone dogpile the quarterback, and then promptly cutting back to another five minutes of commercials? 

And that's why I switched to watching NFL Redzone on Sundays.

8 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I don’t mean to belittle it, per se, so bad writing on my part. I just think the importance of sports is generally overstated to an incredible degree. There are absolutely meaningful athletic achievements and moments, but the institution of “professional sports” is something I find tiresome. More people watch a given episode of NCIS than they did the 2018 World Series, but I don’t have to hear about Mark Harmon’s salary negotiations, there isn’t an entire broadcast industry dedicated to talking about it on public airwaves, etc.

Again, I don’t mean this to demean or shit on pro sports or athletes. I like sports, I like talking about and watching sports. It’s just too fucking much sometimes, and shit like salary negotiations or draft discussions are just so... boring...

I should let people enjoy things... I know. :p

I love watching pro football (assuming the Jets qualify) but it is easily the worst sport to watch. Pro football more than any other sport exemplifies the notion that the game is a television show. It’s Survivor played out in stadiums.

Dude if it's not baseball or sports, society would still come up with some other useless thing to discuss ad nauseam on the airwaves. 

Just now, Jose said:

Dude if it's not baseball or sports, society would still come up with some other useless thing to discuss ad nauseam on the airwaves. 

ESPN and the other sports networks have been airing a lot of "sports" lately like Redbull soapbox derbies and arm wrestling.  It's honestly very entertaining to watch!

5 minutes ago, Jose said:

This is true in general but I don’t know how likely it would be to enter the public consciousness to the same extent that spots currently does. 

21 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Football could be relatively entertaining if it actually took something even remotely close to the nominal 1 hour game clock to get through a game. I've actually managed to come to have a tiny bit of appreciation for the game. But there's just so much fucking downtime and it seems like the majority of it is advertising slots.

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

Football could be relatively entertaining if it actually took something even remotely close to the nominal 1 hour game clock to get through a game. I've actually managed to come to have a tiny bit of appreciation for the game. But there's just so much fucking downtime and it seems like the majority of it is advertising slots.

Remember that moment as a child when you realized your favorite cartoon was a 30 minute toy commercial? Well...

Owners should pay full salaries. In absolutely no player contract does it say "contingent upon X butts in Y seats per game on average or we pay you less."

Do you want an even shittier, dull season of something most people already consider dull these days? If the mid tier and below players are being paid a pro rated salary (that the MLB is already saying they want to cut even more) then those players have no incentive to perform in a short season. They will not give even the slightest shit about player promotion.

That doesn't even get into the absurdly shit scenario minimum salary and minor league players deal with.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Sorry to break up the sports talk, but has anyone posted this?

Coronavirus: Dexamethasone proves first life-saving drug. Cuts risk of death by 1/3 for those on ventilators

So a cheap steroid can reduce deaths by up to 1/3, potentially, which is huge.

I dunno, any time a major media outlet declares a drug or procedure as a "breakthrough" i have to be inherently skeptical.

4 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Sorry to break up the sports talk, but has anyone posted this?

Coronavirus: Dexamethasone proves first life-saving drug. Cuts risk of death by 1/3 for those on ventilators

So a cheap steroid can reduce deaths by up to 1/3, potentially, which is huge.

That's pretty cool and I guess makes senses. I've been given that and/or prednisone when I've had severe bouts of asthma or bronchitis.

2 hours ago, ThreePi said:

I dunno, any time a major media outlet declares a drug or procedure as a "breakthrough" i have to be inherently skeptical.

At least as of this morning they hadn't posted the full paper from the study yet, just a press release, so there's definitely reason for skepticism for now. Would be nice, though.

Because they don't have to pay for the consequences, someone else does.

It reminds me of the theory that the best way to judge someone is by what they do with the shopping cart after loading their car. There is no legal or monetary consequence for leaving it in the middle of the parking lot. There is also very little effort involved to return it to a stall/the store. So the people who you see leaving them out there are people who don't care about anything but themselves and their immediate convenience.

27 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Where have I seen that type of graph leading to that type of reaction from a conservative before?:thinking:

take care health GIF by PlayKids

The surprising thing isn't that American conservatives are acting this way. It's that they actually kinda managed a rough approximation of acting responsibly for a month or so.

It reminds me of the theory that the best way to judge someone is by what they do with the shopping cart after loading their car. There is no legal or monetary consequence for leaving it in the middle of the parking lot. There is also very little effort involved to return it to a stall/the store. So the people who you see leaving them out there are people who don't care about anything but themselves and their immediate convenience.

spacer.png

• Haha 9

I've been in plenty of parking lots where there's large gaps in cart corral coverage, like large enough that it shouldn't be surprising that people don't want to walk back and forth across an open parking lot from their car to return the cart when it's super sunny and scorching hot out.

Jackson Hospital pulmonologist William Saliski cleared his throat as he started describing the dire situation created by the coronavirus pandemic in Montgomery to its City Council before they voted on a mandatory mask ordinance. "It's been a long day, I apologize," he said.

"The units are full with critically-ill COVID patients," Saliski said. About 90% of them are Black. He said hospitals are able to manage for now, but it's not sustainable. "This mask slows that down, 95% protection from something as easy as cloth. ... If this continues the way it's going, we will be overrun."

More doctors followed him to the microphone, describing the dead being carried out within 30 minutes of each other, and doctors being disturbed when people on the street ask them if the media is lying about the pandemic as part of a political ploy.

After they spoke, and before the council voted on a proposal by Councilman C.C. Calhoun to mandate mask-wearing in public in Montgomery, Councilman Brantley Lyons questioned whether masks and six-foot distancing really helps. They do, the doctors replied. Lyons was unmoved. "At the end of the day, if an illness or a pandemic comes through we do not throw our constitutional rights out the window," Lyons said.

From the crowd, doctors called for him to visit the hospital sometime.

Go ahead and guess the result of the vote before reading the rest

• Guillotine 2
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Jason said:

I've been in plenty of parking lots where there's large gaps in cart corral coverage, like large enough that it shouldn't be surprising that people don't want to walk back and forth across an open parking lot from their car to return the cart when it's super sunny and scorching hot out.

So you are neutral evil? :whistlin:

• Haha 1

Not only do I return the cart to the store, but I also return any carts I find within a 50-foot radius of my location.

Upon entering to store with my bounty of vehicular shopping receptacles, I approach the on-duty manager and proclaim, "Behold!  I have retrieved thy precious mobile shopping conveyances!" 

I then complete the task with a bow and then exit the commercial establishment.

• Haha 1

I fucking hate people who are too lazy to put their cart up in a corral.

I had my car smashed to hell by loose carts in the parking lot during a storm back when I worked at Walmart in college. Fortunately, Walmart paid for the repairs, which cost close to a couple grand, because one of the managers had his brand new Tundra smashed up, too.

16 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I fucking hate people who are too lazy to put their cart up in a corral.

I had my car smashed to hell by loose carts in the parking lot during a storm back when I worked at Walmart in college. Fortunately, Walmart paid for the repairs, which cost close to a couple grand, because one of the managers had his brand new Tundra smashed up, too.

What I hate are the motherfuckers that leave a cart literally a parking space away from the corrals. I mean they are too fucking lazy to walk maybe 10 feet to put it away. 

5 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

What I hate are the motherfuckers that leave a cart literally a parking space away from the corrals. I mean they are too fucking lazy to walk maybe 10 feet to put it away. 

Nah, just stop being a lazy fatass and take your cart to the appropriate spot. They're never that far away.

I always take my cart back. Even if it's hot. Even if it's raining. I know how much it sucks to have your car fucked up by loose carts.

Edit: Not saying you do this. Just speaking in general. :p