~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

6 hours ago, sexy_shapiro said:

A number of businesses here at Jacksonville Beach have shut down again after briefly reopening because COVID outbreaks have been tied to their establishments.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2020/06/14/lynchs-irish-pub-closed-over-coronavirus-concerns/

I returned to work this week but we make everyone wear masks here. Based on everything I’m hearing, all of these establishments were filled without people who weren’t social distancing or wearing masks.

Yeah this has been all over the news... my buddy who lives in Jacksonville told me about this a couple of days ago. I think he used to hang at one of these bars.

3 hours ago, osxmatt said:

Oregon is going to start "requiring" face masks in most public places, starting June 24.

I'm curious to see if there are conservative protests and backlash.

I live in Portland and went out to Clackamas today. Maybe around 50% of people were wearing masks, I would say. We're so boned. 

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah this has been all over the news... my buddy who lives in Jacksonville told me about this a couple of days ago. I think he used to hang at one of these bars.

Outside of this board I haven’t been keeping up with national COVID news, only local. I don’t realize this broke national news.

One of my coworkers was there a week before they shut. She said she was the only person there wearing a mask and trying to keep a safe distance from everyone.

And yeah, they are pretty popular places to go. I don’t drink anymore but Lynch’s Pub is where I got my first legal drink when I turned 21.

1 minute ago, Zaku3 said:

In fairness we probably do need atleast the hypersonic missiles. Russia and China are developing them and we can't be left behind.

Or else what? What do you think is going to happen if China and Russia have hypersonic missiles? The only scenario this makes one lick of a difference is THE END OF THE WORLD. Fuck all military spending. We have all the nukes. We don’t need anything else.

17 minutes ago, Jason said:

I've mentioned this on more than one occasion, but I hate-watch Fox News primetime lineup most evenings. At the very least Hannity, but I sometimes catch the end of Tucker and the beginning of Laura Ingraham.

Since the pandemic began, at least since late March and early April when things got really bad, Hannity would have Ron DeSantis on the program most nights, and just fawn over what a great job Florida had done. "You have such a high concentration of elderly people, how did you manage to beat the pandemic?" This is at the same time (of course) that he's stoking the culture war of poorly run "Democrat" cities and states that were experiencing huge outbreaks.

But over the past 7-10 days with COVID outbreaks in Florida, Arizona, and other similar "Republican" cities and states, Hannity hasn't even talked about the pandemic. I think Media Matters did a transcript search and found during the time, coronavirus had only been talked about a collective 38 minutes, across the entire primetime lineup. If you watch Fox News just to watch it, and absorb each program nightly at face value, you probably can't see the disconnect. But it's jarring.

tl;dr Fox News is bullshit.

56 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

I've mentioned this on more than one occasion, but I hate-watch Fox News primetime lineup most evenings. At the very least Hannity, but I sometimes catch the end of Tucker and the beginning of Laura Ingraham.

Since the pandemic began, at least since late March and early April when things got really bad, Hannity would have Ron DeSantis on the program most nights, and just fawn over what a great job Florida had done. "You have such a high concentration of elderly people, how did you manage to beat the pandemic?" This is at the same time (of course) that he's stoking the culture war of poorly run "Democrat" cities and states that were experiencing huge outbreaks.

But over the past 7-10 days with COVID outbreaks in Florida, Arizona, and other similar "Republican" cities and states, Hannity hasn't even talked about the pandemic. I think Media Matters did a transcript search and found during the time, coronavirus had only been talked about a collective 38 minutes, across the entire primetime lineup. If you watch Fox News just to watch it, and absorb each program nightly at face value, you probably can't see the disconnect. But it's jarring.

tl;dr Fox News is bullshit.

And many people get their news only from Fox. That chunk of the population may actually believe that the pandemic is basically over, if they even believed it was real to begin with.

I'm not gonna pretend like I know anything about managing large scale venues, but it seems to me that if you felt you need to have a detailed health plan from the people holding an event in your venue, you maybe should've asked for one earlier than 2 days before the event was going to happen.