~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

The grift in this admin is wild: 

Trump administration paid millions for test tubes, got unusable mini soda bottles

Since May, the Trump administration has paid a fledgling Texas company $7.3 million for test tubes needed in tracking the spread of the coronavirus nationwide. But, instead of the standard vials, Fillakit LLC has supplied plastic tubes made for bottling soda, which state health officials say are unusable.

The state officials say that these “preforms,” which are designed to be expanded with heat and pressure into 2-liter soda bottles, don’t fit the racks used in laboratory analysis of test samples. Even if the bottles were the right size, experts say, the company’s process likely contaminated the tubes and could yield false test results. Fillakit employees, some not wearing masks, gathered the miniature soda bottles with snow shovels and dumped them into plastic bins before squirting saline into them, all in the open air, according to former employees and ProPublica’s observation of the company’s operations.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency signed its first deal with Fillakit on May 7, just six days after the company was formed by an ex-telemarketer repeatedly accused of fraudulent practices over the past two decades. Fillakit has supplied a total of more than 3 million tubes, which FEMA then approved and sent to all 50 states. If the company fulfills its contractual obligation to provide 4 million tubes, it will receive a total of $10.16 million.

Officials in New York, New Jersey, Texas, and New Mexico confirmed they can’t use the Fillakit tubes. 

I mean...he's not wrong...but he's kind of right for the wrong reasons. Poorer, Hispanic (and other minority) workers are more likely to be infected due to them being required to work at their jobs in-person. They are taking the blunt of the pandemic, but the fault lies with (relatively) richer white people who want to go out and have fun but also get to work from home.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

AMC reverses course, will now require audience members to wear masks, nationwide: https://www.thewrap.com/amc-theatres-reverses-course-and-will-require-guests-to-wear-masks-nationwide/

It seems sort of moot though, because unless they keep the concession stands closed—which they can't, because their profits don't come from the ticket sales—I don't see how it's going to be safe to go into a theater anytime soon.

3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I mean...he's not wrong...but he's kind of right for the wrong reasons. Poorer, Hispanic (and other minority) workers are more likely to be infected due to them being required to work at their jobs in-person. They are taking the blunt of the pandemic, but the fault lies with (relatively) richer white people who want to go out and have fun but also get to work from home.

Do we have data saying that the growth in Florida is being fueled by Hispanics? 

11 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Do we have data saying that the growth in Florida is being fueled by Hispanics? 

No, and sorry I shouldn't have assumed. I should have prefaced my comment by saying that if the Hispanic population has been hit harder than the white non-Hispanic population (similar to how black populations in other states have been harder hit than white populations), etc.

6 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

No, and sorry I shouldn't have assumed. I should have prefaced my comment by saying that if the Hispanic population has been hit harder than the white non-Hispanic population (similar to how black populations in other states have been harder hit than white populations), etc.

Yeah I think we should be careful of these types of assumptions... the hispanic population in Florida is different than an other parts of the country. The Hispanics there tend to come from the more Carribean parts of the world, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Dominican Republic etc... and while they do make up a disproportionate percentage of essential workers, I don't think they are fueling Florida's pandemic and shouldn't be scapegoated as such. Florida's poor leadership and dishonest accounting of their infection numbers has lead to where they are now and that's what DeSantis is trying to deflect from. Blacks and Hispanics may be hit harder in these States but they aren't fueling the pandemic and shouldn't be scapegoated as such.

Yakima county in Washington is getting hit hard.  The main hospital is now above capacity and case counts are increasing everyday.  I think this is due to two reasons: It's a very red county that didn't want to follow guidelines from Olympia, and hispanics make up half of the population, and they often live in multi-family homes, which is not ideal if you want to slow the spread.