~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

10 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

There were just several posts immediately before yours talking about stereotypical framing and why that's lazy and bad.

Ah I see.

Hispanics make up the majority of the agricultural workers in the county.  Many of them are temporary migrant workers who live in crowded houses.  

I don't see that as a stereotype, and I wasn't trying to insinuate any negativity about Hispanics - merely that there living conditions  make them more susceptible to contracting the virus compared to those that live in a single family home.

Also to be clear, in my post I wasn't attempting to support the governor's claim that Hispanic people are to blame, I was attempting to (possibly incorrectly, and without cause) link that Florida Hispanic people may become infected at greater rates than the white population due to the fact that they are not as privileged to work from home, etc (which appears to have been the case in white vs black populations in other states). The blame in those cases wouldn't be on the black people, it would be on the society as a whole (and in Florida's case if my original supposition were actually true, which it appears not to be).

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

Yakima county in Washington is getting hit hard.  The main hospital is now above capacity and case counts are increasing everyday.  I think this is due to two reasons: It's a very red county that didn't want to follow guidelines from Olympia, and hispanics make up half of the population, and they often live in multi-family homes, which is not ideal if you want to slow the spread. 

Strangely, I almost visited Yakima once, and from the little I remember when researching it, it's a shithole?

7 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

Ah I see.

Hispanics make up the majority of the agricultural workers in the county.  Many of them are temporary migrant workers who live in crowded houses.  

I don't see that as a stereotype, and I wasn't trying to insinuate any negativity about Hispanics - merely that there living conditions  make them more susceptible to contracting the virus compared to those that live in a single family home.

7 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Also to be clear, in my post I wasn't attempting to support the governor's claim that Hispanic people are to blame, I was attempting to (possibly incorrectly, and without cause) link that Florida Hispanic people may become infected at greater rates than the white population due to the fact that they are not as privileged to work from home, etc (which appears to have been the case in white vs black populations in other states). The blame in those cases wouldn't be on the black people, it would be on the society as a whole (and in Florida's case if my original supposition were actually true, which it appears not to be).

So most of the essential workers who continued to work throughout the pandemic in New York and New Jersey are Black and Hispanic who often live in close quarters in crowded living conditions and were not able to work from home yet New York and New Jersey were able to see their rates go down. Why? Competent management and leadership from their respective governments and because they actually shut down their states, something that Florida never did fully while deliberately under counting their actual infection cases. If Hispanics are fueling the increase in infections in Florida, then show me the data but given how Desantis has managed this epidemic from the start, I think any assertions from him should be treated with skepticism and not given the slightest bit of credence without actual evidence. They're even trying to say their number are going up because of travel from New York. So yeah... Florida's hispanics are victims of poor governance from THIS GUY

Ron Desantis Mask GIF

Not the cause.

• Thanks 1

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

So most of the essential workers who continued to work throughout the pandemic in New York and New Jersey are Black and Hispanic who often live in close quarters in crowded living conditions and were not able to work from home yet New York and New Jersey were able to see their rates go down. Why? Competent management and leadership from their respective governments and because they actually shut down their states, something that Florida never did fully while deliberately under counting their actual infection cases. If Hispanics are fueling the increase in infections in Florida, then show me the data but given how Desantis has managed this epidemic from the start, I think any assertions from him should be treated with skepticism and not given the slightest bit of credence without actual evidence. They're even trying to say their number are going up because of travel from New York. So yeah... Florida's hispanics are victims of poor governance from THIS GUY

Ron Desantis Mask GIF

Not the cause.

They've actually refused to release any data to back up these claims, which is why is almost assuredly 100% bullshit.

Also people think of "Hispanics" as some monolith. Isn't the "Hispanic" population in Florida different than the Hispanic population in other parts of the country? Correct me if I'm wrong but Florida hispanics tend to be more from the Caribbean like Cuba and Puerto Rico rather than Central and South America? Are there a lot of Cuban and Puerto Rican migrant workers?

37 minutes ago, SlipperySlope said:

As one of the Hispanics none of this is offensive to me, carry on. 

Wow, you managed to wrestle control of the computer in your house from the 16 other Hispanics living there. Congrats, bro.

• Haha 9

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Just close off Florida:

I think we all kind of got taken in by artificial parameters "both sides" set on the argument over reopening.

When the states started reopening we said, "Well wait two weeks to see the results" as a way to counter conservatives who wanted to declare victory after a couple of days before testing or symptoms could possibly catch up.

I think we kind of forgot that these were mostly arbitrary numbers set up by a political debate.

Simply put, just because the numbers didn't skyrocket after two weeks that had little  predictive medical value that they wouldn't after a month. Two weeks was simply as soon as we might see the results.

12 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

With the way Trump treats this I would think he already got the virus back in April when he was exposed to several people with it. That way he has the antibodies and feels immune.

But there is no way Trump could have got it, beaten it, and not bragged about it every day since and used it as proof about how the virus wasn't that big of a deal.

So yeah, like always, no 3 dimensional chess on his part. He really is just this oblivious.

3 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

So like, tonight is going to be considered a huge disaster in a few weeks, right? Like, there’s a good chance a lot of these people are from out of town, so odds are they’re bringing what they catch back to their home state.

If we weren't already experiencing the second wave, this would be the start.

10 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

If we weren't already experiencing the second wave, this would be the start.

When the history books are ever written about covid in this country, his rally will be a nice, neat place for a chapter break, even though the outbreak seems to have started spiking before this began

Act 1 Scene 2: COVID Boogaloo

Pure speculation: there won't be any defining nationwide waves for the US. Isolated areas will experience their respective waves while the national numbers (positive cases, hospitalizations, deaths, etc) just steadily increase as pockets of "muh freedumb patriots" continue to congregate spreading the disease until effective early treatments and/or vaccine are/is found and withheld for stupid amounts of money. I'm curious to see the impacts on dexamethasone's availability and price in the coming weeks, given the recent news.