~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Disney gave an update on their reopening of parks in Florida amid the huge jump in cases...and they are continuing to go ahead.

I have seen commercials from Universal about reopening soon.

This is legit gonna be gun violence. We are just gonna ignore it.

28 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

California recently had 4,317 new cases which I believe is a new record.

Yes but after that day (Wednesday), the California daily cases have decreased in subsequent days. Florida's cases have increased everyday for the past five days? Texas has the daily record I think yesterday with 4,430 but some of those may be backdated cases.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/06/20/coronavirus-texas-cases-daily-record/

For the fourth time in five days, Texas reported a record number of new coronavirus cases Saturday as the virus continues to surge in one of the first states that allowed businesses to reopen after a weeks-long shutdown meant to slow the pandemic.

State health officials credit some of the 4,430 new cases to a data entry backlog in Harris County, which accounted for about 1,200 of the recorded illnesses. But Texas Department of State Health Services spokesperson Chris Van Deusen said part of the increase is also attributable to Texans gathering at bars, beaches, rivers and other social gatherings like graduation parties. He also said that people testing positive in prisons and at meatpacking plants continues to contribute to the growing number of cases.

• Sad 1

WHO reports largest single-day increase in coronavirus cases

The World Health Organization on Sunday reported the largest single-day increase in coronavirus cases by its count, at more than 183,000 new cases in the latest 24 hours.

The UN health agency said Brazil led the way with 54,771 cases tallied and the U.S. next at 36,617. Over 15,400 came in in India.

Experts said rising case counts can reflect multiple factors including more widespread testing as well as broader infection.

33 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Now I feel guilty that I actually did a haircut earlier today.

I'm still waiting on getting a haircut but if both you and the barber were wearing masks I think I wouldn't feel too bad about it. My personal sense is that it's still an unnecessary risk, but not being able to engage in normal socializing has been a blow on everyone's mental health, so if getting a haircut helped put you in a better headspace then it's probably not that bad as long as you're still holding off on gyms/bars/etc.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm still waiting on getting a haircut but if both you and the barber were wearing masks I think I wouldn't feel too bad about it. My personal sense is that it's still an unnecessary risk, but not being able to engage in normal socializing has been a blow on everyone's mental health, so if getting a haircut helped put you in a better headspace then it's probably not that bad as long as you're still holding off on gyms/bars/etc.

...I go to the gym too.  I wear my mask while there too.

I know it's risky, but I'm a fat guy that needs all the exercise I can get.

16 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

It's crazy how these projections get released and they seem horrible, but a few weeks go by and they look practically optimistic in hindsight.

Weren't there two projections recently where one said 200,000 by Sept and then a more optimistic one said the same number, but by Oct?

Almost 150k dead by July 11th makes the former sound optimistic and the latter downright delusional.

The scary thing is that the experts still seem to think this coming Fall and Winter will see a spike.

If we already have 250-300k dead by November, what the hell does a 2 or 3 month-long spike up from that look like?