~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Danish research students have discovered that the severity of COVID-19 can be predicted through a heart scan: https://politiken.dk/forbrugogliv/sundhedogmotion/art7780421/»Banebrydende«-dansk-forskning-afslører-om-patienten-ender-i-respirator

This is because (as their research has shown), the disease weakens the heart. Cases which were shown to not affect the heart severely developed into milder cases, while patients who had a greater level of infection in the heart went on to have severe cases that required hospitalization.

As time goes on, it's becoming more clear that COVID-19 kills through damage to the heart as well as through damage to the lungs, which is why heart disease is the greatest comorbidity.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Danish research students have discovered that the severity of COVID-19 can be predicted through a heart scan: https://politiken.dk/forbrugogliv/sundhedogmotion/art7780421/»Banebrydende«-dansk-forskning-afslører-om-patienten-ender-i-respirator

This is because (as their research has shown), the disease weakens the heart. Cases which were shown to not affect the heart severely developed into milder cases, while patients who had a greater level of infection in the heart went on to have severe cases that required hospitalization.

As time goes on, it's becoming more clear that COVID-19 kills through damage to the heart as well as through damage to the lungs, which is why heart disease is the greatest comorbidity.

A virus that can attack your heart... that's terrifying. 

My wife's school is planning on doing graduation.

They are having families sign up for a slot for the graduate to hear their name and walk across the stage. Then they will have a picture taking area and a waiting area. So three families and all the teacher "volunteers" in the building. One family at a time.

Kicker: Each graduate gets to bring five family members. No restriction on if they live with you or not or if they are in a high risk group.

Absolutely terrible idea

Northern Ireland joins Wales and Scotland in rejecting BoJo's re-opening plans.

The Stormont executive published a five-stage roadmap for exiting lockdown on Tuesday that revealed a slower, more cautious strategy than Downing Street’s plan for England. Ministers rejected Johnson’s “stay alert” slogan, which has been widely criticised as confusing, and also decided against setting projected dates for loosening restrictions.

The plan broadly aligned Northern Ireland with Scotland and Wales, which have also rejected Johnson’s new messaging.

8 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

My wife's school is planning on doing graduation.

They are having families sign up for a slot for the graduate to hear their name and walk across the stage. Then they will have a picture taking area and a waiting area. So three families and all the teacher "volunteers" in the building. One family at a time.

Kicker: Each graduate gets to bring five family members. No restriction on if they live with you or not or if they are in a high risk group.

Absolutely terrible idea

Doesn't sound terrible to me. They should easily be able to keep families socially distanced from each other.

Allegheny County is set to go from 'red' to 'yellow' on Friday, but all that really means is that some 'non-life essential' businesses can open. Gyms, restaurants/bars, 'indoor entertainment', schools, large crowds, and hair salons/barber shops all remain closed. It also means the shelter order is lifted, but given that most things are closed it's kind of a moot point.

The coaches for my son’s little league are sending out surveys asking parents if they’re okay with returning for a shortened season...I have reservations, but there haven’t been a ton of cases in Iowa vs other states, and the little guy’s really been struggling with not being able to play his favorite sport and not being able to see his baseball friends.  Sometimes when we’re practicing in the backyard he just kinda shuts down and wants to go inside because he says practicing reminds him of the season he’s not having.  :(

I think this shutdown could have some long-term effects on the country’s school-aged youth that no one can anticipate.  I really feel for them.

30 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Allegheny County is set to go from 'red' to 'yellow' on Friday, but all that really means is that some 'non-life essential' businesses can open. Gyms, restaurants/bars, 'indoor entertainment', schools, large crowds, and hair salons/barber shops all remain closed. It also means the shelter order is lifted, but given that most things are closed it's kind of a moot point.

Some other counties in PA are planning to go into yellow on their own accord before the state gives them the go-ahead to do so.  I have a horrible feeling that will end up backfiring...

Well that was just too charming. Pleasant centenarians are wonderful. 

But I'll say this--my cultural touchpoint for Vera Lynn's "We'll Meet Again" is definitely different from most Brits. It's no hopeful anthem in the wake of a world war... 

THIS is what I know the song from:

48 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

100, shit.

Damn, this guy is spry as fuck at 100. I'd really like to just listen to an overall interview regarding his life and thoughts on having seen so much fundamental change in terms of technology and all in general.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-reopening-factory-nevada-after-breaking-rules-fremont-opening-2020-5

Tesla's Nevada Gigafactory is fully reopening just days after CEO Elon Musk confirmed that the company had restarted production at a California plant against local rules, according to The Verge.

The plan to resume full production at Tesla's Nevada factory marks a departure from the company's previous remarks, when it reportedly told workers last week that its Gigafactory in Nevada only begun limited production, as CNBC reported.

Valerie Workman, Tesla's North American human resources boss, reportedly sent an email to Nevada Gigafactory staff on Monday about returning to work and the safety measures that the company is implementing. Such protocols include stocking company shuttles with personal protective equipment and running additional shuttles, reports The Verge.

Employees were also reportedly told that they could stay home if they feel unsafe returning to work, but that they may not receive unemployment benefits since the furlough at the Nevada plant has ended, says the report.

8 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

The SES in charge of my division at DTRA pretty much just confirmed that my department will not be returning on-site for a looooooong time because we've more than proven that we can work remotely. 

So, I'll still be managing a team of 18 people that I've never met! :p

I am getting mix messages on that. My supervisor says it'a going well but my friend that is now a supervisor says it's kinda meh. 

I want to keep working from home but I think management wants us to have like a camera so they can monitor us.

1 hour ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

The SES in charge of my division at DTRA pretty much just confirmed that my department will not be returning on-site for a looooooong time because we've more than proven that we can work remotely. 

And just as I post this, the new "rumor" (HEAVY emphasis on that word!) is that personnel whose duties are not significantly impacted by remote work will not be allowed back on-site at the DTRC until there's a vaccine.

Yeah, I SERIOUSLY don't believe that one!

2 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Oh, good! Your roommate can make you watch more plandemic videos :santasun:

2 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

This is one of those things I feel a lot of companies are going to start having to question themselves over. My company is having a similar epiphany. Everyone that can work from home is being way more productive than previously believed they would be. That has leadership wondering why they even bother buying/leasing all this real estate and spending all this electricity and all this cooling and heating and all these free lunches and breakfasts and other office amenities when they could save it all for leaving folks at home with a bunch of hotel stations in smaller office hubs in case they do need to come in.

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

This is one of those things I feel a lot of companies are going to start having to question themselves over. My company is having a similar epiphany. Everyone that can work from home is being way more productive than previously believed they would be. That has leadership wondering why they even bother buying/leasing all this real estate and spending all this electricity and all this cooling and heating and all these free lunches and breakfasts and other office amenities when they could save it all for leaving folks at home with a bunch of hotel stations in smaller office hubs in case they do need to come in.

That's already started.

Nationwide Insurance is making telework permanent in five states and reducing its physical office footprint in others.