~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

8 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

That's already started.

Nationwide Insurance is making telework permanent in five states and reducing its physical office footprint in others.

It's going to be even more fun when everyone realized that if everyone is telecommuting, you can get someone for way cheaper in like Oklahoma than you can in, say, Massachusetts.

30 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

It's going to be even more fun when everyone realized that if everyone is telecommuting, you can get someone for way cheaper in like Oklahoma than you can in, say, Massachusetts.

White collar salaries will start to come down because of this, too.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

They were doing that before COVID.  The company I currently work for and the one before it bought up Silicon Valley/San Francisco startups and in both instances within months cut everyone loose in California and transitioned those jobs to either Ohio or Utah.

9 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Northern VA will remain in "Phase 0" of the state re-opening plan until May 28 while the rest of the state moves to "Phase 1" on Friday.

I'm in the same boat in PG County. Most of the populated counties in MD are staying closed.

4 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

As stated this is already happening in tech. SF & NY companies have been moving to setup outpost in other locations that are cheaper. Trump is the reason why we are seeing a huge number of them setting up shop in Toronto. Before that it was Denver, Austin and the likes. 

13 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

The SES in charge of my division at DTRA pretty much just confirmed that my department will not be returning on-site for a looooooong time because we've more than proven that we can work remotely. 

So, I'll still be managing a team of 18 people that I've never met! :p

I wish i could work from home! I just need to find one that starts at 13$/hr +. 

America’s coronavirus testing numbers are really improving — finally

US_coronavirus_testing_5_12.png

US_coronavirus_positive_rate_5_12.png

US_coronavirus_positive_rate_by_state_5_

US_coronavirus_epidemics_5_12.png

Still, the numbers suggest it’s too early to declare victory. Based on data compiled by the New York Times, just 18 states have seen their daily new reported coronavirus cases drop in recent days — much less the two full weeks experts have called for. Seven states have seen their daily new cases increase, while the remaining 25 have seen theirs remain roughly flat.

Taken together, these figures suggest that the majority of states are not ready to start to reopen just yet. While America has made decent progress throughout May in confronting the challenge of this pandemic, there’s still a bit more work to be done.

Looking at Utah on that Vox map I wouldn't be surprised. Anecdotally our testing rate seems pretty low because I've taken my FIL to those drive-thru testing stations three times and there's never any line. We're able to just pull right up. According to this Wapo page Utah looks to be in relatively good shape, but that seems pretty meaningless if we're not testing more.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Already at 85,000.  We'd have to drop to like 100 deaths per day to get to 100,000 "perhaps" deaths.  It's going to be way higher.  It's going to fester for months, just like it has in Italy and Spain.  Those countries are just now seeing daily numbers drop below 200 per day. 

6 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Already at 85,000.  We'd have to drop to like 100 deaths per day to get to 100,000 "perhaps" deaths.  It's going to be way higher.  It's going to fester for months, just like it has in Italy and Spain.  Those countries are just now seeing daily numbers drop below 200 per day. 

And once you take out NY/NJ/CT numbers out it looks .... A lot worse for us going forward.

I mean, just let these newly infected cases by state fill you with confidence looking out of the new York region.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

My parents were supposed to come visit me March 14. They canceled the trip March 13. At this rate it'll probably be over a year without seeing them, since we're on opposite sides of the country. :/

It's starting to get to me and I am a loner by trade. I want to go hang out with my friends. I have started taking walks because I am tired of being home all day. 

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

My parents were supposed to come visit me March 14. They canceled the trip March 13. At this rate it'll probably be over a year without seeing them, since we're on opposite sides of the country. :/

This has been the worst for me all in all. I'm unfortunately in a situation where my girlfriend is temporarily living back in Montreal and we haven't seen each other in over two months now and there's no end in sight seemingly. I know currently they're saying the border will open back up in some capacity on June 21 but I'll believe it when I see it. We've been joking that it must be our fault that border is closed because some cosmic asshole force is clearly throwing everything it has to fuck up our relationship.

• Sad 2

My wife and I visited my parents on Mother's Day. Am I an asshole? We've been quarantined seperately since mid-March. We all had masks on and stayed 6 feet apart, but I still felt like I was doing something wrong.

44 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Well, it's been about 10k per week for at least the past 3, looks very much like we'll hit that again.

I just don't see how reopening will do anything to that number other than possibly make it go up. We aren't really seeing those deaths yet, probably.

I mean, we thought the Trump timewarp effect where he makes every day feel like a week and every month feel like a year was bad, now we have to plug in the week or two delay it takes to really see the effects of opening back up.

15 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Well, it's been about 10k per week for at least the past 3, looks very much like we'll hit that again.

I just don't see how reopening will do anything to that number other than possibly make it go up. We aren't really seeing those deaths yet, probably.

I mean, we thought the Trump timewarp effect where he makes every day feel like a week and every month feel like a year was bad, now we have to plug in the week or two delay it takes to really see the effects of opening back up.

Heres TX, started lifting restrictions 2 weeks ago.

screencapture-www-worldometers-info-coro

• Sad 1