~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

26 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Guy on ResetEra in Canada tested positive and has been in isolation for 6 weeks and is still sick. He says he has improved, but still has trouble breathing. He is 35 with no comorbidities. This thing does real damage to some people, not just 80+.

Every virus does, but they are outliers In the data so far, just like people who have severe adverse reactions to vaccines.

South Korea may be dealing with another outbreak

The difficulty in trying to reopen economies without rekindling coronavirus outbreaks was highlighted on Monday as concern grew in South Korea about a second wave of infections that was spread through newly reopened nightclubs. South Korea’s government had felt confident enough to reopen much of its economy after several weeks of seeing cases increase by just a handful each day. But on Monday, new cases jumped by at least 35 after the outbreak in the nightclubs, which have been temporarily closed down again.

South Korean President says "It ain't over until its over"

"It's not over until it's over."

That was South Korean President Moon Jae-in, speaking Sunday after a new cluster of coronavirus cases emerged in the country's capital Seoul, sparking fear of a second wave of infections in the East Asian country.

South Korea was among the first places to deal with a major coronavirus epidemic, and seemed to be on track to loosen restrictions, after weeks of social distancing measures and careful surveillance. But the new cluster seems to have put an end to that, for now, with Moon warning his people "we must never lower our guard regarding epidemic prevention."

and they did everything right... We are SO fucked.

12 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

So the UK is encouraging those who can't work from home, to start work again tomorrow, allow the country to indulge in unlimited exercise as of Wednesday and (despite saying this would be dependent on this change working) sending children aged 4, 5, 6, 10 and 11 back to school by June. 

After working with children around that age for the last two years, I can't see them socially distancing in the slightest...so rather than a second peak in October in the UK, should we just prepare for it around July instead.

Okay, I’ll bite: why not children aged 7, 8, 9, and 12+?

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Dumbfucks went clubbing in the middle of a pandemic. ㅡㅡ People are pissed, and rightly so. You're required to write down your name and phone number to go to a place like that. A good chunk of them give fake numbers and thus have been unreachable.

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Okay, I’ll bite: why not children aged 7, 8, 9, and 12+?

For 4-5 year old children, as this is their first year of being in school, I guess they want to return them back to the educational system so the gulf in their learning isn't significant (the following year, children are tested in Phonics and need to achieve a certain score to pass, or have to retake, and in turn the reported success of the school's teaching is seen as lower than desired). 

5-6 year old children, as mentioned have to achieve targets in reading and word recognition and it's a big part of the data tracked in the UK. 

10-11 year old children are in their transitional year from Primary School (ages 4-11) to secondary school (ages 11-16) and I guess they just want to ensure that they're not going to arrive with differing levels of ability (more so than usual). 

For the rest of the age groups, they are largely years where the learning is about consolidation (so reviewing and building on previously learned things) or can be picked up comfortably in the next year, whether in school or with more at home learning. 

31 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Dumbfucks went clubbing in the middle of a pandemic. ㅡㅡ People are pissed, and rightly so. You're required to write down your name and phone number to go to a place like that. A good chunk of them give fake numbers and thus have been unreachable.

I believe it was because these were gay clubs and homosexuality is frowned upon in South Korea. They're afraid there may be a backlash against the gay community.

33 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

For 4-5 year old children, as this is their first year of being in school, I guess they want to return them back to the educational system so the gulf in their learning isn't significant (the following year, children are tested in Phonics and need to achieve a certain score to pass, or have to retake, and in turn the reported success of the school's teaching is seen as lower than desired). 

5-6 year old children, as mentioned have to achieve targets in reading and word recognition and it's a big part of the data tracked in the UK. 

10-11 year old children are in their transitional year from Primary School (ages 4-11) to secondary school (ages 11-16) and I guess they just want to ensure that they're not going to arrive with differing levels of ability (more so than usual). 

For the rest of the age groups, they are largely years where the learning is about consolidation (so reviewing and building on previously learned things) or can be picked up comfortably in the next year, whether in school or with more at home learning. 

So, 7-9 year olds just do busy work all day :p

2 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

I really wish I could set up a home gym, but things like barbells and squat racks are pretty expensive.  Plus I don't really have enough room in my apartment anyway.

Start with a pair of adjustable dumbells with enough plates to put 40-60 pounds on each. With some creativity you can hit most things.

Yeah, you're not gonna find out your max bench or squat, but it's enough to get in pretty good shape.

I have a bench myself, but I use dumbells for most things other than curl and bench for max weight(and variations on benching with dumbells are underated for hitting a variety of muscles a barbell doesn't).

Youtube has good stuff for dumbell only workouts. Buff Dudes Workouts have a number of good series on it.

16 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Start with a pair of adjustable dumbells with enough plates to put 40-60 pounds on each. With some creativity you can hit most things.

Adjustable dumbbells are one of the things that have become really hard to find since the stay at home orders started.

8 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

They never actually said that, but I'm inclined to agree that they probably were betting on most people not getting the distinction between that and what they actually said:

United Airlines recently announced that it was making some middle seats unavailable for passengers to select. But the company said it was also not reducing capacity on flights, so a passenger could be seated in a middle or adjacent seat if necessary.

5 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Who the fuck would even fly right now?

Healthcare workers flying to where the demand is higher? Apparently the pay for out of state workers to come to NYC was through the roof, for instance.

Just now, Jason said:

What's worse, how few, if any, of those things Dems will get....or the fact that any bill will almost certainly include a shield for companies that neglegently sacrifice their workers?

I don't see how a bill even happens without that for Republicans. 

https://www.cracked.com/article_27693_2018E28099s-spider-man-game-called-all-this.html

Spoiler

In this version of the Spider-Man mythos, Norman Osborn is the same noted businessman he is in the comics, but he's also the mayor of New York City. Positioning a classic villainous business person as a powerful politician is a classic comic book move to very subtly suggesting that politicians are corrupt. When billionaire Mayor Osborne can't contain the release of Devil's Breath and privatized solutions don't work, he blames it all on Spider-Man. If you've paid attention to the news of late, you might have caught Trump throwing everyone under the bus for the Covid-19 pandemic, from Obama to China to the World Health Organization. If this game had been released this month, a bunch of conservative Twitter dweebs with Neo-Nazi tweets hiding in their Likes would say that games shouldn't be political.