Red Dead Redemption II | Official Thread of Shrinking Equine Testicles

Commissar SFLUFAN

7 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

So Gamestop is actually doing a combined offer if you trade in an Xbox One for an Xbox One X. $200 trade in credit for your old machine, plus $100 off if you buy RDR2. So I just got an Xbox One X and RDR2 for $260. I was on the fence about an Xbone X but that pretty much made the decision for me.

Do you need to be a Powered Up member for the $100? And to they combine the offers, the $200 trade in claims not with any other offer.

Thanks for the heads up either way, just trying to give some friends the info.

Just now, JPDunks4 said:

Do you need to be a Powered Up member for the $100? And to they combine the offers, the $200 trade in claims not with any other offer.

They stacked it for me, traded in my xboxb1s today and they gave me 250 for it plus extra hundred off with the purchase of RD, so with tax I ended up paying 247 for an 1X and RD

8 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I have the game installed and ready to go, kids are finally in bed, but now I'm tired as fuck.... Do I want to start a massive, slow opening game right now....That is the question. 

it has a slow opening? If that's the case maybe I won't start it tonight either, my install should be done in the next few minutes

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I played the first hour so far and I don't think its boring, I think its appropriately ponderous and its painting a world and a mood. People are waaay too impatient! Let it simmer. 

My thoughts exactly. Just got to where it opens up and had to stop. Scary movie night with the fam, but I can’t wait to jump back in. I wasn’t bored at all.

with that, normally in games where you’re given a choice to play good or bad, I typically play as How I would make the decision IRL...which almost always wind up being neutral. For this game tho....I’m playing as a total piece of shit! Kill em all! 

1 hour ago, JPDunks4 said:

No to Powerup and yes they do combine. I didn't think the offers would combine either because I read the same thing. But they did. 

I am about 15% completion right and here are my thoughts on the game. 

The Opening

I know a lot of folks didnt like the opening and I gotta say I think the complaints are valid but I disagree with some of it, I am huge fan of The Great Silence and the snowy wasteland was fantastic. The tutorials are not good and with it being so long I can see someone really dreading a replay.

The VA

Its fantastic as usual, R* VA work is some of the best and this is no different.

Graphics

The world looks great but the character models look really rough and the texture of the clothing is rough as well. Compared to something like AC:OD its really bad,at least on PC.

The Story

Its OK but nothing to fawn over

Controls

Being nice as possible , they are pure jank , like euro trash levels of jank. Your options when shooting are Robocop level accuracy or the greatest downsy gunslinger. R* shooting mechanics have never been good but some how its worse. Movement it also slugish even when cranked up to the max. Trying to turn my horse "Stampy" around in town and he bumped a guy accidentally, which then got the cops called on me for assault.

Game play / Mechanics

The eating/sleeping/bathing mechanic seems fairly worthless as does the gun upkeep. It feels like its there just to be a minor inconvenience. All of them are easy to overcome and dont really feel like they add anything . 

When the cops came for "assaulting" (fake news) , I tried to mellow out the situation by talking to the cop. His response was to open fire on me. :|

The World

As I said before it looks great but open and empty,its realistic I am sure but its pretty boring. In the GTA series you can get away with it because the player can have fun dicking around the city driving like an ass,but here its just me and Stampy running back and fourth to the camp. From what I have experienced "wide as ocean,deep as puddle" is very fitting.

Yeah after getting 5 hours in or so and playing a bit in the open world. This is sort of a fun game. All this realism stuff they added does nothing but add annoyances. It does somehow manage to also feel like the jankiest R* game in years. Not a bad game by any means. But not at all on the GotY contenders like GoW, Spider Man and AC:Odyssey’s level. 

1 hour ago, legend said:

@Rev suggested that due to Amazon fucking me that I just check my local best buy. I did and they had the bundle, so I got it, cancled the stupid "bumped to Tuesday" amazon order and am now installing!

Awesome!!

1 hour ago, atom631 said:

My thoughts exactly. Just got to where it opens up and had to stop. Scary movie night with the fam, but I can’t wait to jump back in. I wasn’t bored at all.

with that, normally in games where you’re given a choice to play good or bad, I typically play as How I would make the decision IRL...which almost always wind up being neutral. For this game tho....I’m playing as a total piece of shit! Kill em all! 

Me too! I’m killing everyone when given the choice. I like wearing the black hat in this game. 

Finished what I hope is the tutorial section. Love the environment and the story so far, but holding X and looking at the scenery while some outlaws spout exposition isn't exactly what I was hoping for out of the gate. But I'm sure it'll pick up once I'm free to do what I want, which is of course to lasso everything and everyone. 

• Haha 1

Well, I walked out of Gamestop with a ~$250 bill, an Xbox One X and RDR2. A pretty good deal all told. The wife was unsurprised and rather amused I'd buy something like that on impulse they day she leaves on a week long business trip. After waiting what felt like forever to have the new Xbox update and RDR2 install, I finally got to appreciate this game in native 4K, and my goodness does it look crisp.

Still, my first couple hours were a mixed bag. If I have one issue to harp on, it's consistency. To make a short list of the issues that have bothered me so far:

• The controls while riding a horse don’t always behave as I'd expect. Sometimes holding A will follow the leader, other times you’ll go straight towards a cliff. Why doesn't it just follow the road and or the leader?
  • The controls on a horse don't’ translate to walking. If I'm following a person on foot, why the hell are the controls different?
  • Looting bodies is Y, but looting random stuff is X. I'm more than an hour into the game, maybe I am drunk, but should be able to consistently loot stuff.
  • Holding triggers and tapping triggers isn’t always consistent. Maybe there's a more complicated situation here, but I have yet to entirely figure out when holding and tapping the triggers will do what, and when it applies. Contexte appropriate controls can be good, but they can also be a real pain.
  • In the “tutorial section”, after being taught to equip myself from the horse, but after being given a long gun, I couldn’t get the gun from the horse. I had to wait for a story moment. It was a small thing, but I think it's demonstrative of the limits of the beginning parts of the game. I really hope these things don't carry on throughout the game.
  • I’ve accidentally killed two guys punching them when I had the option to shoot them, thinking punching was the lesser of the options. One of these guys was a story guy, who I figured I'd killed and went back to deal with, only to accidentally run over with my horse. I hope I get better at this game, but even then, this seemed pretty silly to me. I don't think God of War even gave me the option to spare people, and I never randomly or accidentally killed folks. I think this is a systems failure of not knowing what the consequences of my actions are and not really being given the actual range of options.

I don't think these things are the natural results of such a complicated game. Assassin’s Creed had novel controls that easily made sense.

None of this is to say that I don't recognize the superlatives of this game. There's obviously a lot to like, even after only a short time with it. Still, I feel like an experience that could be singular is being being held back by self inflicted wounds. Still, it's probably unfair to judge such a huge game after such a short time. I'll be putting in a lot of hours over the next week.

Yeah, I have my issues like any game but way too early for me to critique it. I will say it has its hooks in me already and I’ll be playing the hell out of it. Now that I’m in the open word, it’s pretty hard to stop playing. As far as the horse following the leader by holding A, I believe that is just to match their pace, you are supposed to steer. Holding down select with a way point will let you be hands off.

The Honor system seems weird. Killing half a town in the course of a story mission doesn't seem to hurt your honor. But then I found a guy who had set up a camp out in the wilderness. I stood too close for too long and he started shooting at me. So I killed him and looted his corpse (obviously). No witnesses. Boom, Honor goes down.  

My one death so far was classic: riding through territory where I'm Wanted, and apparently I get spotted by the Law. Suddenly I have 20 dudes charging me. I get off my horse to take cover behind a boulder, but they're surrounding me. I make a run for it, taking bullets left and right. I find a path down a sort of cliff. I jump down from some rocks onto the path, no more than a foot, and that's what kills me. 

Just now, AndyD said:

So Rockstar's social club website keeps track of status of each mission - anyone know what the purpose is?  Each mission has sub objectives which lead to bronze, silver, gold medals.  In game, I haven't seen anything about bonuses

What ?

Did I miss that part in the tutorial? 

Still waiting for my copy.

So what is the general consensus on how RDR2 will impact perceptions of the remaining yet-to-be-released open world games this gen?

Are games like Ghosts of Tsushima, Days Gone, and Just Cause 5 up against an impossibly high bar now?  Or has RDR2 left a hole these open world games can fill?  For all the praise the RDR2 is receiving, it also sounds like there is some clunkiness to it, a general lack of respect for the player’s time, and some slow pacing with the story and world encounters.  Sure I’ll enjoy RDR2 plenty enough regardless.

11 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

What ?

Did I miss that part in the tutorial? 

5 minutes ago, AndyD said:

The sub objectives?  It's just the website from what it seems. And from that, I've done pretty poorly in meeting the objectives hah

Doesn't seem like I can upload pictures but just go to the website...

https://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/rdr2/story

You can see the sub objectives after you complete each mission (it tells you what medal you earn and then I think hold options button.)

I believe you can also see them through the menu where it lets you re-play them.

Not sure if you can see the sub objectives of the current mission you're on though (haven't tried.)

Ive decided to part ways with this game for now. After being dropped off in the middle of no where with no horse and being forced to run to town for 10 mins on foot only to be attacked by bear but all my rifles are on my horse,it isnt fun,it isnt immersive, and it feels like a chore.

1 hour ago, AndyD said:

So Rockstar's social club website keeps track of status of each mission - anyone know what the purpose is?  Each mission has sub objectives which lead to bronze, silver, gold medals.  In game, I haven't seen anything about bonuses

You need 70 gold medals in story missions for a trophy/achievement if you care about any of that. Not sure if you need it to 100% the game or not though. 

5 hours ago, AndyD said:

Ah ok what purpose do the serve?  Do you get a bonus? Do you have to complete all for 100%?

Trophies. I also don't think you can see what the objectives are mid-mission during the first time you play it unless I'm missing something.

15 hours ago, TwinIon said:
  • The controls while riding a horse don’t always behave as I'd expect. Sometimes holding A will follow the leader, other times you’ll go straight towards a cliff. Why doesn't it just follow the road and or the leader?
  • The controls on a horse don't’ translate to walking. If I'm following a person on foot, why the hell are the controls different?
  • Looting bodies is Y, but looting random stuff is X. I'm more than an hour into the game, maybe I am drunk, but should be able to consistently loot stuff.
  • Holding triggers and tapping triggers isn’t always consistent. Maybe there's a more complicated situation here, but I have yet to entirely figure out when holding and tapping the triggers will do what, and when it applies. Contexte appropriate controls can be good, but they can also be a real pain.
  • In the “tutorial section”, after being taught to equip myself from the horse, but after being given a long gun, I couldn’t get the gun from the horse. I had to wait for a story moment. It was a small thing, but I think it's demonstrative of the limits of the beginning parts of the game. I really hope these things don't carry on throughout the game.
  • I’ve accidentally killed two guys punching them when I had the option to shoot them, thinking punching was the lesser of the options. One of these guys was a story guy, who I figured I'd killed and went back to deal with, only to accidentally run over with my horse. I hope I get better at this game, but even then, this seemed pretty silly to me. I don't think God of War even gave me the option to spare people, and I never randomly or accidentally killed folks. I think this is a systems failure of not knowing what the consequences of my actions are and not really being given the actual range of options.

The controls in this game are borderline not good. You can physically move Arthur the way you want most of the time but that's the least we should expect for any game, let alone one with this pedigree / budget. Everything in your post is spot on. Sometimes mashing X makes my horse / wagon go faster. Other times it does nothing. There's no explanation as to why it's like this. The notion that I have to mash to sprint / gallop in a big budget game in 2018 in of itself is ridiculous. Sometimes the things you can do when focusing on people are clear, other times Arthur performs an action I would not have guessed he would do based on the word. It's like the "doubt" button in L.A. Noire, except sometimes you punch someone to death instead of verbally harassing them.

The scenery is great, the sound is incredible, the world crafting is unparalleled. When you get into the first real town, it feels like a spaghetti Western in the best possible way. I don't even mind stuff like slow loot animations because the attention to detail in cabinets and drawers is ridiculous. Then you open up the menu and realize you've gotten bronze on a bunch of missions even though you didn't know what criteria you had to meet to get a better ranking since the game never told you what the criteria were or even that it was ranking them at all, then you want to sneak up on and lasso a bounty but the game won't let you because reasons, then you try to figure out Dead Eye because the tutorial doesn't really explain how it works, etc.

In other words, after a couple hours, this is EASILY the most Rockstar game imaginable, with everything that implies.

I love RockStar games except for the shooting mechanic  and by God they didnt even attempt to fix that shit.  In Fact it feels worse.  I just made it to the first city and although I like the look and the feel of the game the shooting is making me want to go back to Ass. Creed.  Think I'm going to finish that one off first before fully diving into this game.  But Damn if this game isnt Pretty

7 minutes ago, TomCat said:

I love RockStar games except for the shooting mechanic  and by God they didnt even attempt to fix that shit.  In Fact it feels worse.  I just made it to the first city and although I like the look and the feel of the game the shooting is making me want to go back to Ass. Creed.  Think I'm going to finish that one off first before fully diving into this game.  But Damn if this game isnt Pretty

You cab tweak the controls for the shooting to work better. The default shooting controls are classic Rockstar but you don't have to use them.