Red Dead Redemption II | Official Thread of Shrinking Equine Testicles

Commissar SFLUFAN

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I didn't change much but you can tweak a lot. I changed the run button from hold to toggle, reduced the aim assist a bit and increased the look sensitivity until it felt right. It also has separate settings for third person and first person. I don't know how you feel about the lock on targeting but you can turn that off entirely. You can also set it so you don't have to button tap and can turn those functions into holding the button (Sprinting and other actions). The controls (like GTA V) are very customizable and if folks take the time they can pretty much get the game to play and feel the way they want it to. The default controls do need tweaking in my opinion though.

Thanks!  Going to tweak my settings tonight when I start playing again. 

So I’ve got 14hrs in the clock (according to my Xbox). 

I have to agree whit the majority here and say that the controls are stiff, heavy and not intuitive at all. It feels like a Rockstar game, but slightly worse. I was hoping for a step forward from GTAV but this game feels like a solid step or 2 back. The game is still enjoyable but the controls definitely take away from that. 

So far the game says I’ve done 22 missions...the first chapter I felt was excellent. It set the mood of the game and it actually felt like a story. I guess I’m deep in to chapter 2 and I feel like nothing has really happened. It just feels likes a bunch of disconnected missions. I know what it’s inevitably leading up to...but let’s get on with it already. It must be 9-10hrs since I finished chapter 1 and things are still locked in the shops, clothing, can’t fish, etc.  

in other words, this game is in no rush to move the story along. It’s also obvious In the gameplay. They spread missions out so far between that it’s sometimes 10-15 minutes of just riding on horseback. Yes there are things to do in the open world, but not much for its size. I feel like a lot of time is simply clocked getting from place to place. If the story doesn’t pick up that is going to eventually get really dull. 

This game is a solid 8/10 so far. It’s suffering from the same overhype like GTA IV. With all that, I still can’t put it down. At the end of the day I’m really enjoying it. I just hope the pace picks up soon. 

just ran across the guy who was tending to his horse and the horse kicks him.  i was laughing so hard

put maybe 10 hours or so and have no idea what missions are story related but really just running around doing bounties or side quests.  i need to unlock fast travel some because damn there is a lot of horse riding to do

I’m enjoying the story and character interactions so far. The convoluted gameplay is the problem. Shit could be made much easier but they tried to pack so much shit into the game it made too many things a chore. I’m sure I’ll get used to it but that doesn’t mean it’s not a problem. 

32 minutes ago, atom631 said:

It must be 9-10hrs since I finished chapter 1 and things are still locked in the shops, clothing, can’t fish, etc.  

Ive had a fishing pole since 20 mins after I arrived at the first camp, I "borrowed" from a guy down by the river. I couldnt buy bait at the general store because its locked out.:|

Its not game breaking its just a wierd choice by R*

2 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Ive had a fishing pole since 20 mins after I arrived at the first camp, I "borrowed" from a guy down by the river. I couldnt buy bait at the general store because its locked out.:|

Ha! Nice. I want to go fishing so fucking bad!  I’ve already come across 3 legendary fish areas and i can’t fish for em:cry:

19 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

just ran across the guy who was tending to his horse and the horse kicks him.  i was laughing so hard

put maybe 10 hours or so and have no idea what missions are story related but really just running around doing bounties or side quests.  i need to unlock fast travel some because damn there is a lot of horse riding to do

I saw that too LOL I tried to chase the horse and catch it but I lost it. Dutch's string our missions are the main story ones. Also this was pretty cool

Spoiler

I found a creepy shack in the middle of nowhere with a bunch of skeletons in beds and and another skeleton at the head of a table... after reading the note I found there, it seems to be part of some cult.

9 minutes ago, johnny said:

I’m sure I’ll get used to it but that doesn’t mean it’s not a problem. 

You can get used to it but you really never stop shaking your head at it

Riding horse

Hold L1 to open Satchel,R1 to cycle thru each satchel,use L3 to cycle to item,release L1 to use item and in some cases releasing L1 wont actually use the item if the game decides your moving to fast but you never get a pop up that says why the item wasnt used.

My personnel favorites are

Hold button for 3 seconds to open drawer,Hold button for 3 seconds to search drawer,Hold button for 3 seconds to take each item. RPG games solved this issue long ago by have text box pop up with the items in the drawer and having the player choose the items they want.

No running in camp.

The game removing your load out constantly for some unknown reason. Finish a story quest, see a pristine animal run by, hop off the horse,have to grab bow from horse even though not 2 seconds before i finished the story quest it was on my back.

I’m liking free slow burn. Sure the controls are a bit janky and I get annoyed making sure Arthur’s takes his morning shit every day but it’s a beautiful (at least on the x) detailed world where I easily get lost and side tracked.

After a game like Far Cry 5 where you can have a silenced machine gun that doubles as a sniper rifle within a couple of hours I’m liking the slower pace here. 

i would  say say it’s a quintessential rockstar game. A big beautiful detailed world with some janky controls you have to get used to. If you didn’t like GTAV you probably won’t like this. If you enjoyed that you will enjoy this. 

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I only suggest folks take the time to learn how to actually play it before they make judgements or conclusions.

I am pretty sure I know how to play the game. I still don't get what you mean by this as well. What do I need to learn? I know how to play Dark Souls 2, but I fucking hate the way that game feels. Everything in that game just always felt off when compared to Dark Souls 1 and then Dark Souls 3. That is how it is with RDR2, everything feels off and it is intended to feel that way. 

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I didn't change much but you can tweak a lot. I changed the run button from hold to toggle, reduced the aim assist a bit and increased the look sensitivity until it felt right. It also has separate settings for third person and first person. I don't know how you feel about the lock on targeting but you can turn that off entirely. You can also set it so you don't have to button tap and can turn those functions into holding the button (Sprinting and other actions). The controls (like GTA V) are very customizable and if folks take the time they can pretty much get the game to play and feel the way they want it to. The default controls do need tweaking in my opinion though.

none of these are my issues, is it is just the overall jank due to how much "realism" is in the game. 

32 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I am pretty sure I know how to play the game. I still don't get what you mean by this as well. What do I need to learn? I know how to play Dark Souls 2, but I fucking hate the way that game feels. Everything in that game just always felt off when compared to Dark Souls 1 and then Dark Souls 3. That is how it is with RDR2, everything feels off and it is intended to feel that way. 

none of these are my issues, is it is just the overall jank due to how much "realism" is in the game. 

Ok :peace:

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Ok :peace:

Afraid of questions or something? You keep saying people need to learn to how to play, but I don't get what there is to learn and you won't explain it. I really want to know. Like, I am not joshing. Cuz if there is something that I am missing that will make the game better(on chapter 3) then I'd like to know. 

4 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Afraid of questions or something? You keep saying people need to learn to how to play, but I don't get what there is to learn and you won't explain it. I really want to know. Like, I am not joshing. Cuz if there is something that I am missing that will make the game better(on chapter 3) then I'd like to know. 

If you don't like it after three chapters, I'm not sure what I'm going to say that's going to change that so... :peace:

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

If you don't like it after three chapters, I'm not sure what I'm going to say that's going to change that so... :peace:

I mean, I thought you had something. Like, legit had some info on how it was meant to be played. 

Just now, Bacon said:

I mean, I thought you had something. Like, legit had some info on how it was meant to be played. 

People asked me how I tweaked my controls and I told them... there's also info literally all over the internet with tips about how to get started early with stuff that the game doesn't tell you like this one and this one. Your issues seem like you legit don't like the game so I'm not sure what I can tell you. It happens... I didn't like Monster Hunter World despite folks telling me how great it was and giving me tips on how to play. The game just wasn't for me :shrug:

Now this is what I like.

I was standing on someones property. They tell me to leave. I don't. Husband wants to fight. I pull out my guns. He and his dog run. Go back to wife. She tells me to leave. I don't. She goes to report me for trespassing. I get the wanted thing pop up and she is the witness. I knife her down. No I stand alone on not my property.

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Your issues seem like you legit don't like the game so I'm not sure what I can tell you.

It is still a 7/10, which is what I gave breath of the wild. 

4 minutes ago, johnny said:

Bacon you need to relax 

No. 

Just now, Bacon said:

Now this is what I like.

I was standing on someones property. They tell me to leave. I don't. Husband wants to fight. I pull out my guns. He and his dog run. Go back to wife. She tells me to leave. I don't. She goes to report me for trespassing. I get the wanted thing pop up and she is the witness. I knife her down. No I stand alone on not my property.

It is still a 7/10, which is what I gave breath of the wild. 

No. 

Cool :peace:

4 hours ago, SimpleG said:

The game removing your load out constantly for some unknown reason. Finish a story quest, see a pristine animal run by, hop off the horse,have to grab bow from horse even though not 2 seconds before i finished the story quest it was on my back.

This one drives me nuts. You just can't expect to have your weapons from one moment to the next, and the real question is why wouldn't you want them? Are they removing them simply so my character doesn't always have a bow slung over his shoulder for appearance's sake? Frankly, I'd rather that be my choice. 

45 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

@skillzdadirecta Thanks I’ll try changing those. I went back and played Odyssey with the wife for a bit today then went back into RDR. What a mistake LOL. I feel like tonight I’m gonna spend all night tweaking till I get can it to control as close to Ofyssey as possible. 

That's funny because I used Origins as my base for my control settings :p

played through the end of chapter 1 last night.  Pretty good so far. I do wish the tracking was easier to see, maybe I just need to adjust the contrast on my tv but the white on white in the snow is almost invisible for me...but then I'm old and maybe my eyes are going, lol. I will say the environment with the blowing snow is awesome. I've been in crazy snow like that and they nailed it. 

38 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Ehh, accidentally running into someone while I am on my horse and they are on their house has only happened to me once.  I got off the ground expecting to be able to apologize to the guy and be on my way... well, the other guy got up and started shooting at me so I ran at him and punched him.  Evidently, I killed him with one punch and there was a witness so instead of going after the witness I just ran and got on my horse and took off.  Few minutes later, I went and paid my $10 bounty.   ...and I have never needed to buy horse food as of yet in the game and I would venture to guess that I am pretty far into Chapter 2.

My only high bounty right now is $300 in a certain town that seemed like things kept getting worse as the mission went on... no spoilers.

In regards to people seemingly not enjoying the game... I heard that it's OK for others to have different opinions.   You be you.