Red Dead Redemption II | Official Thread of Shrinking Equine Testicles

Commissar SFLUFAN

4 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Is 8/10 a meaningful opinion? 

It can be. Also literally not one person has just posted “x/10” and nothing else. This entire thread is full of opinions and evaluations both good and bad and I’d say almost all of them  are pretty well thought out. So chill. 

I'm enjoying the game, but the controls are pretty awful. I fiddled with the settings so it's better but still not great. My main changes

- Removed all dead zone
- Upped the sensitivity

- Have acceleration less than half, but not nothing

- Changed horse control to relative to horse rather than camera

I would have though acceleration should be off, but if you turn it off the sensitivity is incredibly slow, even if sensitivity is maxed, which is really weird.

I think the horse control setting as removed some of the counter intuitive moments the horse would do, which I think was because I was always expecting relative to horse.

Had an hour to play tonight. Spend 45 min riding around talking. 13 min tracking a line on the ground. 30 seconds getting mauled by a legendary bear but somehow killed it by mashing B while it was killing me. And 1 min 30 seconds watching an unecessarily long skinning animation. 

Good stuff is coming right?

5 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Had an hour to play tonight. Spend 45 min riding around talking. 13 min tracking a line on the ground. 30 seconds getting mauled by a legendary bear but somehow killed it by mashing B while it was killing me. And 1 min 30 seconds watching an unecessarily long skinning animation. 

Good stuff is coming right?

You’re still in the tutorial bro just take in the scenery and enjoy it! Lol

But really the game is better when it’s not giving you those hand holding missions. 

2 minutes ago, johnny said:

You’re still in the tutorial bro just take in the scenery and enjoy it! Lol

But really the game is better when it’s not giving you those hand holding missions. 

It was a very pretty lake out in the woods. I’ll give it that. I also found some mountain that I slid down like a water slide. That was kinda fun. 

• Haha 1

I like how if you actually slip on a hill Arthur looks like he actually slipped instead of just moving on rails down the slide. It was a minor slide so I don’t know how more advanced it would have gotten but he acted like how a normal human would complete with arms flailing about so that’s a nice little touch.

6 hours ago, stepee said:

HDR requires some extra fiddling on ps4. I forget what exactly to do to make it work, but it was something in settings.

I wish I knew. I messed around with the settings and it still looks blurry and washed out. Sort of like Monster Hunter World did. I turned HDR off in that game too. Seems this is an issue with the Pro which kinda sucks. 

5 hours ago, Dodger said:

I like how if you actually slip on a hill Arthur looks like he actually slipped instead of just moving on rails down the slide. It was a minor slide so I don’t know how more advanced it would have gotten but he acted like how a normal human would complete with arms flailing about so that’s a nice little touch.

another really nice touch is the pebbles and rocks that slide along with you. Or even when you breakawy a rock on a off-chamer hill as youre walking and it starts to slide down. serious attention to detail. 

6 hours ago, Dodger said:

You can slip on your horse too which also looks realistic as well.

10 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This game is easily a 1.96754321 game based on the 3 hours or so I've played. Get it right man. 

How'd you guess how much combined time I spent with it? That's right on the money actually and I'm not joking. We're like the twins in The Shining. 

Based on that time I would rate it slightly higher than a 2/10. It resembles a Ferrari with a VW Beetle engine.

• Haha 1

I'm still withholding giving much of an evaluation despite lots of jank because RDR1 didn't really start clicking with me until Mexico, and then it became one of my favorite games of that gen.

If you haven't been using it: make sure you use the trains to get around. So much faster than always riding.

And if you "lose" you horse you can get it back at any stables.

8 hours ago, legend said:

I'm enjoying the game, but the controls are pretty awful. I fiddled with the settings so it's better but still not great. My main changes

- Removed all dead zone
- Upped the sensitivity

I would have though acceleration should be off, but if you turn it off the sensitivity is incredibly slow, even if sensitivity is maxed, which is really weird.

I think the horse control setting as removed some of the counter intuitive moments the horse would do, which I think was because I was always expecting relative to horse.

What does the dead zone do exactly?  I was reading through all the options you can change last night and didn't really understand what this actually does.

29 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

What does the dead zone do exactly?  I was reading through all the options you can change last night and didn't really understand what this actually does.

Dead zone causes an area of analog movement around the center neutral point to not send any signals, so that you have to push it further for anything to happen. This is particularly useful if your controller is old and is slightly off center resting because it prevents input from being sent at its resting point. It's also useful if your thumb is resting and causing small variations that wobble your cursor.

On the flip side, you can't do small precise changes because it wont send your small movements. In RDR2, the default dead zone is *enormous* which makes aiming super painful. It was the first thing I changed in the controls and I changed it almost immediately.

32 minutes ago, legend said:

Dead zone causes an area of analog movement around the center neutral point to not send any signals, so that you have to push it further for anything to happen. This is particularly useful if your controller is old and is slightly off center resting because it prevents input from being sent at its resting point. It's also useful if your thumb is resting and causing small variations that wobble your cursor.

On the flip side, you can't do small precise changes because it wont send your small movements. In RDR2, the default dead zone is *enormous* which makes aiming super painful. It was the first thing I changed in the controls and I changed it almost immediately.

Oh cool, thanks for the tip, I'm gonna change that right away as well.

9 hours ago, legend said:

- Removed all dead zone
- Upped the sensitivity

I didnt even realize there was a deadzone adjustment on this game. I 100% need to remove it. There is nothing worse than having a deadzone when playing with a controller. 

8 hours ago, Dodger said:

The animation is consistently incredible and very believable. It’s impressive. 

12 minutes ago, atom631 said:

I didnt even realize there was a deadzone adjustment on this game. I 100% need to remove it. There is nothing worse than having a deadzone when playing with a controller. 

Yeah I don't know how anyone played this game without removing it immediately :p 

2 minutes ago, legend said:

Yeah I don't know how anyone played this game without removing it immediately :p 

I dont even understand why its a thing at all on any game that has shooting of some sort. 

only way i can see a deadzone being helpful is racing/flying games maybe. 

46 minutes ago, atom631 said:

I dont even understand why its a thing at all on any game that has shooting of some sort. 

only way i can see a deadzone being helpful is racing/flying games maybe. 

It's helpful if your controller is old and doesn't always snap back to perfect center. I have some older Xbox 360 controllers where that's true and a small deadzone helps.

A *small* deadzone mind, you. Not the enormous garbage they default to for who knows why.

RDR2 is the video game equivalent of Blade Runner 2049. It's a big budget sequel that both expands the world and fills it with incredible detail and really luxuriates in that creation. Its part tone poem, part character study. Its slow and plodding, and that's largely the point. Speed it up and cut it down and you lose that very particular feeling it's trying to instill. Like Blade Runner 2049 I imagine there will be people put off by the pace and perhaps unwieldy length, but unlike it, I imagine Red Dead will make plenty of money.

For my part, I remain undecided. I loved 2049 and other movies like it, but I'm not so sure that experience of a meditative 3 hour movie translates as well to a 60-100 hour game. When I can get into the right headspace, I can appreciate what R* has accomplished here, but there are times when the animations are just needlessly long and the endless riding is more grating than it is calming. I've played for quite a while now and I don't feel like I've accomplished anything, which I think is the point, but I also think it actively hurts my enjoyment.

I just started Chapter 3, and I while I still don't like the controls, I've more or less gotten the hang of them. I continue to accidentally do the wrong thing from time to time, but I'm getting better at recognizing why that action happened. For a game that is so packed with details, I feel like they stumbled a bit on the fundamentals. At least they did well with the camera.

I'm also finally starting to manually save more often, because I've gotten randomly screwed over a few times. I killed a legendary bear, and on my way to the trapper I accidentally ran my horse into an oncoming traveler. Before I realized that triggers a gun fight, I was dead, and my bear pelt was gone. A tooltip said something about my having surrendered the bear pelt, but I didn't have time to read it and there wasn't any way to see a log of messages, so I have no clue what happened to it.

For a game that takes everything so slow, I'm not a fan of how quickly everything escalates to violence. I suppose crashing your horse into someone is a violent act, but apparently so is standing still in the road for too long. I was riding my horse a bit too hard and didn't realize I'd drained the stamina, so I stopped. I was feeding the horse, getting my hat back on, and mostly looking at the scenery, and despite being on the open prairie with the road hardly discernible from the surrounding landscape, I was apparently a roadblock for far too long, and the stranger behind me started shooting. I've walked by strangers who were unimpressed by how quickly I was leaving them alone and started shooting. I know I can talk and deescalate the situation or get away faster, but it just seems odd how quickly things go from "I don't like the look of you" to the O.K. Corral.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, legend said:

- Removed all dead zone
- Upped the sensitivity

Thanks mang!  Gonna try these tonight.  Having fun with the game but damn some of these this about R* piss me right off.  Controls are as always baffling.  R* games are the only games that come to mind where when riding the horse I will hold the controller very oddly so I can do something.

Also, just understanding your health and inventory.  It's like they are trying to piss you off.  Sometimes I like the fact that you have to figure out how to do something but figuring out what button does what shouldn't be a treasure hunt.  And by god, have the control layout in the settings.

• Like 1