Red Dead Redemption II | Official Thread of Shrinking Equine Testicles

Commissar SFLUFAN

4 minutes ago, Dodger said:

So how do you make another horse your main horse? I brought the new I "found" back to the camp but the one you get at the beginning is still my main horse

You have to take the saddle off your old horse and put it on your new horse. There's an entire mission that serves as tutorial for that ;)

Ok how do I transfer items from my satchel to my horse storage bags?

I just did the mission where 

Spoiler

You hunt the legendary bear. After I left the dude, I decided to venture on and hit it anyway. Killed him but it said that I can’t harvest all the items from this animal because my satchel is full. Discard some items by pressing x. 

So first I’m thinking, well I can probably move some goods over to the horse, but that doesn’t seem possible. So I start discarding a bunch of shit, freed up maybe 5-6 slots and it didn’t let me go back and harvest anymore. Not only that, all the stuff I discarded was just gone. I didn’t drop it, it just vanished. 

So now I’m in middle of nowhere really far from any town the icon for the “mission” is still yellow and I dunno what to do. I dropped a marker and said forget it. I’ll come back. 

Get back to camp and realize....there’s no storage chest where I can offload some items?  

Also...

Spoiler

I now have this legendary bear pelt with no place to store it, don’t want to sell it bc it says it can be used for crafting and it’s just sitting on the back of my horse. I seriously dunno what to do at this point or how important this pelt is anyway.

on the way back to camp, I got ambushed by like 8 O’Driscolls and they lit me up  woke up and the pelt was gone  fuck that, had to reload  lol  so now I don’t want to even venture out of camp with this pelt on the back of my horse 

No idea what I should do now. 

9 minutes ago, atom631 said:

No idea what I should do now. 

Yeah, the game DOES NOT explain this at all and I figured it out by luck. So, you store pelts on the back of the horse. Some pelts are small enough that you can store multiple on the horses ass, and the animal carcass. Some pelts are too large and take the place where the animal carcass goes. 

Now, to mark these items as crafting, you need to leave them on the horse, go to the butcher table(cleaver) and "donate" them for crafting. And that is it. You press right on the d-pad and and it will bring up everything you can donate. Some things are donated to become food, others become your crafting materials.

7 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Yeah, the game DOES NOT explain this at all and I figured it out by luck. So, you store pelts on the back of the horse. Some pelts are small enough that you can store multiple on the horses ass, and the animal carcass. Some pelts are too large and take the place where the animal carcass goes. 

Now, to mark these items as crafting, you need to leave them on the horse, go to the butcher table(cleaver) and "donate" them for crafting. And that is it. You press right on the d-pad and and it will bring up everything you can donate. Some things are donated to become food, others become you crafting materials. 

What!!! That’s ridiculous. Are you sure that’s correct? How do you know you’ll be able to access it again once you’ve donated it? 

And by butcher do you mean the cook at the camp? Bc there’s a butcher in town too?

1 minute ago, atom631 said:

What!!! That’s ridiculous. Are you sure that’s correct? How do you know you’ll be able to access it again once you’ve donated it? 

And by butcher do you mean the cook at the camp? Bc there’s a butcher in town too?

I think he's right about that, but I don't know for sure. I brought a deer in to camp and tried like three times to give it to the cook, nothing worked. Talked to him, hit donate, there's the deer. I didn't pay attention to if the crafting materials are banked with him or whatever.

5 minutes ago, atom631 said:

And by butcher do you mean the cook at the camp?

Yes. The one in town lets you sell them for money instead.

5 minutes ago, atom631 said:

How do you know you’ll be able to access it again once you’ve donated it? 

Whenever you look at you craftable good you can check what shit you need, like pelts, tool, and camp progress. Check what needs a bear pelt. Donate the bear pelt and then check on that item and you'll see the bear pelt with a 1x instead of 0x

29 minutes ago, atom631 said:

I’ll have to try donating it then bc i really don’t know what else i can do at this point. 

As for NH being New Haven, I’m not so sure. They referenced New York in the game and talked about “heading back out west”. 

Aren't Rockstar games all based in fictional cities that are modeled after real locations ala Los Santos, Liberty acit and Vice City?

9 minutes ago, atom631 said:

Welp. The cook in camp doesn’t accept this legendary pelt. Went out to the trapper, and he had nothing in his inventory I could craft with it. 

This is fucking ridiculous. I’m going to have to sell it. 

You sell it to the trapper, then you can buy the unique gear.

I had to Google this stuff to make sure I wasn't wasting it. For all the tutorials, there's a lot of crap they don't explain.

14 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

You sell it to the trapper, then you can buy the unique gear.

I had to Google this stuff to make sure I wasn't wasting it. For all the tutorials, there's a lot of crap they don't explain.

Yeah this is insane. So I had to load a previous save to get the trapper back. I’m not far enough in the story to have a permanent trapper, I need to have the wandering trapper. 

Went back and sold the pelt. But he has nothing to craft with it. So basically, this was a lost cause. Unless down the road the  permanent trapper can do it. But i think bc my satchel was full and I didn’t 100% harvest the bear, I might not have everything anyway. And apparently there’s only one in the game. Awesome. 

The trapper station I went to was a bit south-east of where you kill the bear. Stumbled into it by accident while roaming around after that hunt. I'm going to ride back there and dump this legendary beaver pelt (which luckily doesn't take up my whole horse). And I think the stuff that you can't take because your inventory is full is more generic stuff like "big game meat" or whatever, nothing exclusive or rare. 

And NH is New Hanover, I believe, the name of the territory you start in. I heard someone mention going north to Upper Montana, so I think it's somewhere in that area. Which would make sense, if you have to cross those mountains to get back to the real "West", which I heard someone else say they missed. 

17 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

The trapper station I went to was a bit south-east of where you kill the bear. Stumbled into it by accident while roaming around after that hunt. I'm going to ride back there and dump this legendary beaver pelt (which luckily doesn't take up my whole horse). And I think the stuff that you can't take because your inventory is full is more generic stuff like "big game meat" or whatever, nothing exclusive or rare. 

I think I’m screwed at this point. All i got was the pelt and a claw. Not sure what else i was supposed to get but I’m pretty sure it’s not enough to craft something. 

8 minutes ago, atom631 said:

I think I’m screwed at this point. All i got was the pelt and a claw. Not sure what else i was supposed to get but I’m pretty sure it’s not enough to craft something. 

The legendary bear pelt, after you sell it to the trapper, counts as 3 legendary pelts (it's weird). With one of those, you can craft the hat. The other two can be used to craft other pieces, but those pieces each need another "perfect" pelt from a different animal. And from what I can tell, these pieces aren't any better than other common gear, just unique cosmetically. 

23 minutes ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

So is this game any good? Overwhelming positive review scores always give me pause. Aside from the graphics which are undeniablely great, I'm seeing a lot of players say that the controls are just as bad as GTA5 and the missions can be somewhat boring. 

It doesn't give the immediate impression of "OMG this is the most perfect game ever!!!" so naturally it's overhyped, overrated garbage. 

I'm liking it so far. It definitely has some problems (highlighted plainly in the last few pages of this thread) but overall I'm digging the world. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

So is this game any good? Overwhelming positive review scores always give me pause. Aside from the graphics which are undeniablely great, I'm seeing a lot of players say that the controls are just as bad as GTA5 and the missions can be somewhat boring. 

So far, it is the prettiest 7/10 game I have ever played. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Bacon said:

... I didn't know you could have manual saves until just now. I have just been relying on auto saving and exiting before the game auto saves if something happens that I don't like. I thought the "story" menu was for a recap. 

Yup.

I am glad I've been manually saving.

I finished a perfect series of five finger filet while a buddy of mine watched. After I won, he left the bar, I followed him and I got on my horse. While I was turning my horse around, it jumped over a piece of the environment I couldn't see, landed on my buddy, which killed him. I was immediately gunned down by lawmen because "horse accident" apparently justifies the death penalty and is seen as murder. When I reloaded my save, I was NOT wanted, but I DID have the money from winning five finger filet. I hope Mickey isn't dead.

I tried to shoot the chains off an escaped convict. As I aimed my stamina tanked even though the stamina core wasn't visible on the screen. Instead of his shackles, I shot his heart. When I reloaded the event didn't happen again, so... who knows what my save thinks actually happened there.

Then you get into a scripted story event and everything is rad. Or you pop a waypoint, fire up the cinematic camera, and soak in the atmosphere, and it's incredible. Or the ambient music perfectly matches the setting, and the immersion is perfect.

I know I've "bitched" about Naughty Dog games, but my issues there are with pacing, or a disconnect between character writing and gameplay freedom. But even if don't think any Naughty Dog has had GREAT gameplay, they've certainly almost always been good to very good, and they have NEVER had bad controls. Some of the controls in RDR2 are just straight up BAD. It's shocking.

1 hour ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

Stay away. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Bacon said:

@Biggie don't confuse face me, boy. You can't put you saddle on a different horse(thus making that your new main horse) until you do that mission. You also can't save/store horses or brush them until you do that mission. 

No I’m confused why Rockstar didn’t let us figure this out on our own instead of making it a mission. Lol

1 hour ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

I'm seeing a lot of players say that the controls are just as bad as GTA5 and the missions can be somewhat boring. 

The missions have been good for me so far, but the controls are unquestionably worse than GTAV.

It's not so much that the act of controlling the characters or the aiming is worse, it's that the game has much more going on for you to interact with, but the controls aren't up to the increased amount of interactivity. In GTAV the worst outcome for bungling a contextual control is a disconnecting a cellphone call that will repeat itself in a few seconds. In RDR2, the worst outcome is apparently trampling to death an NPC with dialog that you can interact with.

• Thanks 1

This game feels heavy. From walking to shooting to riding my horse, I feel like I can’t do things nearly as fast as I should. I’m assuming this is because they’re trying to be more realistic. Not a fan of all this survival stuff either. If I wanted to feed a horse I would buy a ranch simulator. I would have preferred a RDR2 with the RDR gameplay. And these eurojank controls have me stumbling through missions so far. 

1 hour ago, atom631 said:

I just sold the legendary bear pelt to the trapper and now I can buy the bear hat.