Red Dead Redemption II | Official Thread of Shrinking Equine Testicles

Commissar SFLUFAN

6 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

So maybe I'm a dummy, but I'm having trouble with the controls. When I was attacked by wolves, it was L2 to focus on one, hold R2 to ready my shotgun, let go of R2 to fire. That tripped me up. 

Later, I'm given the option of sparing three dudes or killing them. My options are "Threaten (triangle)" or "Draw Weapon R2 (I think)". I went with Threaten, which was apparently was the spare option. As they're leaving, I'm pretty sure it said "Aim Weapon R2". I figured I would do that to sorta keep threatening them, but no. I immediately shoot the dude closest to me, without letting go of R2. I guess maybe because it was my pistol and not the shotgun, but it doesn't make sense why they would operate differently. 

It also messed me up at first that when using the rifle, you have pull the trigger again between each shot, but I figured that out quick enough.  

Shit, maybe I'm the problem, the reason why we have all these tutorials. I might actually need more!

If you tap R2 he quick fires so yeah... you murdered that guy in cold blood. You draw your weapon with L1 on PS4 I think and aim with L2 like every other game. I think what trips you up is L2 is also used to focus on folks for conversations.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

If you tap R2 he quick fires so yeah... you murdered that guy in cold blood. You draw your weapon with L1 on PS4 I think and aim with L2 like every other game. I think what trips you up is L2 is also used to focus on folks for conversations.

Skillz, is there any combination of buttons that calls up a "Sorry, my bad.  Maybe it's just a flesh wound." cut scene?

6 minutes ago, Biggie said:

@skillzdadirecta you said the game sounds amazing. Are you playing with headphones/headset or using TV speakers just curious. Was wondering if I should play using my Sony Gold headset. 

Move played with both my Gold headset and Vizio soundbar and both sound really good. Love the music. 

I cant wait to get out of this tutorial opening chapter and into the open world. I’m just kinda...bored right now. 

@skillzdadirecta I was looking through the options and I’m 99% sure I saw an option where u just have to hit A to run. But still tap it to sprint. 

24 minutes ago, BuckFly said:

Leon is there any chance, and I am just spit balling on this, that you might just plain be a cold bloody killer?

Edit:  You don't need to make up excuses to us...we get it.

I think you're onto something. I keep seeing the "wrong" button prompts and "accidentally" shooting people. It's a sickness.

The end of that story, btw, is that the first shot didn't kill that guy. The next shot did, and then of course I had to finish off his buddies. Couldn't be sending mixed messages, you know? 

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Lol there's hardly anything to do in the first 10 minutes :lol: The first chapter is easily and hour or two long. Are you being serious?

OF COURSE NOT!

I was most certainly joking BUT I popped it in and was super hyped and know that games like these generally have excellent openings.  So my wife, who doesn't really like videogames but likes somewhat watching me play R* games was interested in seeing the beginning too.  turned it on and was like, it'll get great soon!!! the opening wasn't the jaw drop I was hoping for nor does it need to be.  I'll report back once I've played at least 30 mins lol

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

ahaha that's kinda dumb.

hey look at that lovely lass.  I think I might like to talk to her.  BLAM 

well she dead now.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Captain Pickle said:

ahaha that's kinda dumb.

hey look at that lovely lass.  I think I might like to talk to her.  BLAM 

well she dead now.

L2 just focuses, it doesn't fire the gun. You can't fire unless your gun is drawn anyway and you should almost always have your gun holstered for conversations. It's not that complicated in practice. I'm gonna play a little more before I go to work.

Yeah, messing with the controls outside of a mission, I must have had my gun already drawn when I shot that dude. I don't remember doing that, since the prompt seconds ago said "draw weapon" and I didn't do that. Maybe my unquenchable bloodlust is so strong that I drew my gun without realizing it. 

I played a few more missions this morning... got to sample the melee fighting which is actually pretty decent and makes me want another Rockstar developed Warriors game :p I need to figure out how to clean myself and shave because I got all dirty during one of the brawls.

Just now, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Looks like Microsoft will have the best selling hardware this month 

Doesn't Sony get all the DLC first? I thought Rockstar did a deal with them.

15 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

So Gamestop is actually doing a combined offer if you trade in an Xbox One for an Xbox One X. $200 trade in credit for your old machine, plus $100 off if you buy RDR2. So I just got an Xbox One X and RDR2 for $260. I was on the fence about an Xbone X but that pretty much made the decision for me.

God that is so tempting. I don't currently have anything that can play 4K Blu Rays, and given that a launch Xbox One is worth maybe $100, getting an effective trade in value of $300 is far more than you could ever otherwise get.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

God that is so tempting. I don't currently have anything that can play 4K Blu Rays, and given that a launch Xbox One is worth maybe $100, getting an effective trade in value of $300 is far more than you could ever otherwise get.

I should add that the SKU they give you comes with State of Decay 2, so you're getting a game with that. 

22 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I should add that the SKU they give you comes with State of Decay 2, so you're getting a game with that. 

Hell. Now I'm watching Digital Foundry videos and I've got a One X on hold at a gamestop that isn't one of the 5 closest to me because everyone else is out of stock. Instead of playing on my perfectly fine PS4 I'm going to be sitting in traffic for an extra hour or two.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

The first 3 hours of this game are staggeringly boring. 

This is why I'm afraid to pull the trigger. I know it's critically acclaimed with good reviews and all that. But is it truly fun beyond the realism and great story telling?

I guess time will tell. But come to think of it, the last several open world critically acclaimed games like Horizon Dawn, the last two AC games, and Shadow of the Tomb Raider definitely passed the eye test. But for me, they just weren't fun. Idk what it is really.

And thanks for the info ManU. I already have an X1X so...yea.

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

The first 3 hours of this game are staggeringly boring. 

Yupp. Played for a little while but had to suspend the game. Going out with friends for dinner. But I’m at the part where 

Spoiler

You go with the other guys to the camp up in the mountains and spy on them with binaculars. 

Are you past that? But yeah, so far not much excitement or fun. 

• Guillotine 1

6 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Shit, maybe I'm the problem, the reason why we have all these tutorials. I might actually need more!

No, these tutorials suck. The way this game should have opened was with the Blackwater shit. It'd be just like GTA 5. Learn to shoot and drive(ride) during a fast paced mission. Instead everything is slowed down and you only get to do a little bit of each thing. And like, part of the issue is their on they fly tutorial. As in the game never pauses so you can get a full grasp on what the tutorial is asking from you. 

I'm seeing the game get some flak for taking the realism a bit too far, and making many things tedious. Film Crit Hulk was really railing against it, especially for the writing. I wonder if this could be a GTA IV situation where reviews are through the roof, but the community really isn't too hot on a lot of things. Too early to say that yet, of course, but it'll be interesting to see how things go after the hype dies down.