If you could erase one game from your memory and then replay it fresh, which would you choose?

gamer.tv

Mass Effect, easily. My first playthrough of that game was a struggle because like most everyone else, I picked soldier as a class and played it basically as a third person shooter and ignored the nuances of the rpg gameplay. When the second game was close to release, I replayed the first with an adept or sentinel and then carried that over into the second game. THAT'S when I really fell in love with the series. I have replayed all three games multiple times since then and am currently playing through the remaster. Some game series have come close, notably Dragon Age and The Witcher, but none have matched my love for Mass Effect, its characters and world.

1 hour ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

That depends. Would erasing this memory erase every subsequent memory?

I only say this because playing Oblivion for the first time was fucking epic. But playing it for the first time in this day and age would be kinda cringey.

That's a great pick. That was pretty stunning at the time.

Part of me says Final Fantasy 7, mainly because that was the game that made me, like INTO games.

Part of me says Halo 2, but my great memories of that have more to do with my friends and less to do with the game.

Part of me says Gris, but that's because I played it right after my mom died and it hit me like a truck. Lots of crying.

Final answer. Stardew Valley. I would love to discover everything in that game again.

25 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Also, playing Super Mario 64 for the first time before the North American release was probably the most stunned I have ever been with a game. Nothing ever since blew me away like that did. 

NOTHING WILL EVER REPLACE THAT FOR TRADITIONAL GAMING. First time I saw vr on the quest dev kit is the closest. Games can do pretty much what they want to at this point, there isn’t anything left that could dazzle in the same way.

Only thing that could maybe beat it would be if vr gets a huge leap somewhere down the line that is like full on holodeck with maybe just some senses like smell and full body touch not fully there yet. 

• gamer.tv changed the title to If you could erase one game from your memory and then replay it fresh, which would you choose?
4 hours ago, stepee said:

NOTHING WILL EVER REPLACE THAT FOR TRADITIONAL GAMING. First time I saw vr on the quest dev kit is the closest. Games can do pretty much what they want to at this point, there isn’t anything left that could dazzle in the same way.

Only thing that could maybe beat it would be if vr gets a huge leap somewhere down the line that is like full on holodeck with maybe just some senses like smell and full body touch not fully there yet. 

No VR games really do it for me that way. I want a VR game that gives me a world to get lost in. Alyx was really good, but it's also basically a corridor shooter.

Probably Super Metroid. I just want to go in blind and not have every location memorized.

Chrono Trigger would be another choice, and even though constant replays still cement it as my favorite game, I'm not sure it would have quite the same effect as an adult with decades of JRPG experience.

• Like 1

Either KOTOR 1 or Mass Effect. I'm playing Mass Effect Legendary Edition right now (still on Mass Effect 2), and even though it has its annoying features (like the stupid Hammerhead vehicle missions), the entire franchise has been so enjoyable. But that first one was such an epic story, and it showed me that you can have great stories in a computer game environment, which very few games have ever successfully captured since.

From recent gameplay I’m torn between TitanFall 2 and Batman: Arkham City as my picks. TitanFall 2 might of been short but I just had a blast with its story and the time breaking gameplay elements were great. Plus they kinda of fixed the multiplayer element in that the whole game wasn’t that. Batman: Arkham City is just mesmerizing in the details, challenges, gliding through the city, 3D (if you could) and an amazing story. 

4 hours ago, Bjomesphat said:

Probably Super Metroid. I just want to go in blind and not have every location memorized.

Chrono Trigger would be another choice, and even though constant replays still cement it as my favorite game, I'm not sure it would have quite the same effect as an adult with decades of JRPG experience.

That's actually a good point about Chrono Trigger. I first experienced that game as a teen, and a lot of my enjoyment out of it went along with what was going on in my life. Not sure if it would have the same impact now as it did back in 1995. 

ALSO! I didn't play Super Metroid until it came out on the Wii Virtual Console. Playing it on the Wii was my first playthrough of that game. I can tell you from personal experience, that is absolutely stands the test of time.