Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

4 hours ago, Joestradamus said:

My wife was behind me when I was reading these two. She turns to me and asks, "Is this what you do all day long?"

:shrug:

Ha, that happened to me like a year back. My wife is now convinced this site is populated by nothing but degenerates and assholes. She's not entirely wrong.

• Haha 3

Anita Hill is voting for Joe Biden.

EhLp9IcUwAAizqy.jpg

Hill was listening. She now says she believes he's evolved.

"There was a statement about 'I take accountability; I hold myself responsible for the way the hearing was run,'" Hill said. "And so that, I think, is as close as we've gotten, you know, and that's good. That's an opening."

And that is something Hill says she's willing to work with.

"I want the next president to be somebody that I can go to and talk about the real issues that women, men, and non-binary people are experiencing with violence in this country, that's directed to them because of their gender," Hill said. "I believe that Joe Biden would be that person. I do not believe that Donald Trump would be the person who would hear me."

For Hill, the public declaration of a willingness to work inside government is a sea change.

"One of the impacts of 1991 was my desire not to really work with the government in any way," Hill said. "I always said, I think I can be more effective as an outsider, as opposed to an insider. And now, I'm willing to evolve myself, to work for change inside."

Hill insisted this is bigger than her -- and bigger than Biden.

It's fair to say, reading this, that it's not a full-fledged endorsement, but more thinking Biden would listen more to gender issues than Trump and would be willing to work with her over Trump. Biden helped pass the Violence Against Women Act.

I’m still trying to wrap my head around the possible October surprise(s) Trump is likely keeping in his back pocket.

In lieu of a vaccine, I’m wondering if he isn’t going to have Barr release some report—probably via Durham’s investigation—containing ‘dirt’ on Obama and Biden or something like that.

Has anyone caught wind of other possibilities?

I mean, we all know Trump—he’s going to have *something* planned.

One thing that struck me as weird about this election is that in 2016, many weren't taking Trump seriously. And while the Clintons did see the Brexit vote as a possible omen for the US, there were many in the Democratic Party who were excited to go against Trump since he gave them plenty of material.

This year, for whatever reason, Trump doesn't take Biden seriously, even erupting earlier this year to his campaign staff, "I'm not fucking losing to Joe Biden."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ricofoley said:

Some people within the Trump administration are forecasting the campaign actually running low on money before election day, because Brad Parscale had already spent a shitload of what they'd raised before he got replaced

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/07/us/politics/trump-election-campaign-fundraising.html

"One of the reasons Mr. Biden was able to wipe away Mr. Trump’s early cash edge was that he sharply contained costs with a minimalistic campaign during the pandemic’s worst months. Trump officials derisively dismissed it as his “basement” strategy, but from that basement Mr. Biden fully embraced Zoom fund-raisers, with top donors asked to give as much as $720,000.

These virtual events typically took less than 90 minutes of the candidate’s time, could raise millions of dollars and cost almost nothing. Mr. Trump has almost entirely refused to hold such fund-raisers. Aides say he doesn’t like them."

lol

Want to see the cynical use of race by capital to advance it's interests?

Wonder what would be better for black people, generally: a highly diverse group of people vetted by Wall Street with the Right Sheet of Paper and Recommendations, or a highly diverse group of people antagonistic to Wall Street, but may not have the Right Sheet of Paper without those Recommendations? It's not an either/or proposition, despite what you are told! Wall Street's wealth is disproportionately derived from people of color, and when cought they pay pennies in restitution. Maybe this is a better for for the other thread, or another one entirely but I'm tired and this is where it goes 

...it threatens the party’s desire to boost diversity in powerful executive branch posts

...Uh, no.  It really doesn’t.  Or at least it shouldn’t.  And that’s kind of a paternalistic insult to the tons of qualified black businessmen/businesswomen/entrepreneurs/executives/etc. who work outside the sphere of Wall Street.

1 hour ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

...Uh, no.  It really doesn’t.  Or at least it shouldn’t.  And that’s kind of a paternalistic insult to the tons of qualified black businessmen/businesswomen/entrepreneurs/executives/etc. who work outside the sphere of Wall Street.

Obviously, but try combating that with a well-funded and coordinated media campaign where you have a few Black elected leaders who have significant ties to Wall Street get on tv, on print, on the internet, to push this narrative.

A Democratic pollster conducted a poll in Miami-Dade and found some good and bad news for Biden.

Bad: Biden is leading Trump by 17 points in Miami-Dade. Hillary won Miami-Dade by 30.

The poll of 500 likely Miami-Dade voters, released Tuesday, found Trump far behind Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden 38% to 55% in Miami-Dade

That 17-point deficit is well outside the poll’s 4.4 percentage point margin of error. But Trump doesn’t need to win Miami-Dade. He just needs to do better in the Democratic-leaning county to offset possible losses in other parts of Florida.

In 2016, he lost Miami-Dade to Hillary Clinton by 30 points — about 290,000 votes — but won the state by 1.2% of the total vote.

“If you’re the Biden campaign, looking at these numbers, I think there’s reason for pause,” said Fernand Amandi, the Miami-based pollster and Democratic strategist behind the poll. “If Biden under-performs in what should be one of his strongest counties — and is certainly the largest county for Democratic votes in the state of Florida — it might imperil his chances of winning Florida unless there is a massive white voter exodus from Trump in other parts of the state.”

But the poll found the former vice president splitting Hispanic voters with Trump, with Trump at 47% and Biden at 46%. Those numbers — based on smaller polling subsets with larger margins of error — are driven by Trump’s increased support among conservative leaning Cuban-Americans, who supported Trump over Biden in the poll by a crushing 38 points. Just eight years ago, those voters roughly split their votes between Republican nominee Mitt Romney and former President Barack Obama.

Good: Biden is leading with white voters, independents, and taking a large number of Republicans.

The Bendixen & Amandi poll — conducted Sept. 1 to Sept. 4 — wasn’t all bad news for the former vice president. Biden led Trump, 51% to 33% among Miami-Dade County’s independent voters and 48% to 44% among white voters. Biden was also winning 16% of Republicans.

Why is this huge gap in Miami-Dade -- which is being largely driven by a huge gap in the Cuban vote -- not translating to statewide polls which show Biden leading the state more than Democrats typically do?

According to Dave Wasserman, Biden is doing much better in other areas, like Pinellas, which has an older population to which Biden is running stronger than Clinton.

Rick Scott had more positive ratings with Puerto Ricans after Hurricane Maria hit, which Trump doesn't have.

15 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

Some people within the Trump administration are forecasting the campaign actually running low on money before election day, because Brad Parscale had already spent a shitload of what they'd raised before he got replaced

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/07/us/politics/trump-election-campaign-fundraising.html

I was about to post something about this.

The Trump campaign has reportedly squandered most of the $1.1 billion it raised, blowing millions on Super Bowl ads to rival Bloomberg and targeted DC ads to please Trump

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-campaign-blows-cash-advantage-super-bowl-dc-ads-nyt-2020-9

• Haha 1